• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Rock, Steel & Ice

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
So the Regi family in Gen 3.. I'd say finding them was a little... erratic?

Spr_3e_377.gif
Spr_3e_378.gif
Spr_3e_379.gif

First you had to get a Relicanth and Wailord as well as a Pokemon with Dig and Dive, then you'd have to dive towards a specific spot near route 134, where read this braille text, and then, the regis will finally surface upon different caves: the Desert Tomb in the desert where Regirock is, Route 105's Island Cave where Regice is, and the Ancient Tomb in Route 120 where Regirock is.

But even if you know where the caves are, there are still puzzles to solve within each of them, like to reach Regirock, you'd have to go right twice, down twice and then use Strength, to reach Regice, you'll need to stand there and wait 2 minutes, and for Registeel, you'll need to use Fly in the middle of the room. Whew.

Well still, going over the Regi trio, Regirock the Rockbody pokemon, Registeel the Steelbody pokemon, and Regice the Iceberg pokemon, if you had to pick only one, which of these Regi tri would be your favourite, and which one would you choose to get? Why? Did you use any of these pokemon in game? What do you think of this method on finding these pokemon?

Years
I'll never forget the first time I embarked on the quest to unlocking the Regi's caves. It was before I had proper internet access, so I had this magazine that turned out to have a full walkthrough to the game. (Funnily enough, half of the names were in Japanese, and half were in English, so when it referred to certain towns, I'd have no idea where to look). Anyway, I ended up searching for a Wailord on Route 129 for like 2 hours before finally encountering one, when I could've just evolved a darn Wailmer :P

Anyway, onto the Regi's themselves. They've always been entirely strange to me. The lengths one has to go to in order to access them is quite ridiculous, only made harder by the need to translate braille, but it's pretty darn cool. Especially given the fact that they went out of their way to change the puzzles for Emerald, too, so there was no shortcutting it for those who'd played Ruby/Sapphire.

As for their typing, I guess it was a nice change-up to the elemental-themed trios of the previous generations. Granted, it would've been nice to have another three Fire, Electric and Water/Ice legendaries, although I can see why Game Freak went another way with it.

I've never really used the Regi's in-battle, although I distinctly remember in my most recent Emerald playthrough, I used them to help me catch Rayquaza before the league. My team was way underlevelled, so the Regis' high defences were a great help.

Years
I love Regice! It was so insanely useful in RSE that I couldn't help but keep it around despite not usually training legendary Pokemon. That special defense stat made it pretty much untouchable for special attackers and I loved taking advantage of that.

Obtaining them was also awesome. :) Didn't really use the computer for these things when RSE came out so I had to buy a guidebook to find out the details! The music was amazing as well.. they're super cool overall. Love the Regis.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Luckily for me I had access to the internet when I found out about the Regis. Still, that does not take away the fact that they were very complicated! It took me several days to find out that Wailord and Relicanth had to be in certain positions on the party for the thing to actually work, haha! After the whole thing I just stored the triplets in the PC and never bothered to use them again :p

If I had to pick between the three of them, I'd pick Regirock! I used it back in Gen 5 NU and it was pretty cool :p

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Registeel is my fav; it looks pretty cool! Though I didn't use it in my RSE playthroughs that much because I already had Mawile as my steel type, but it was still awesome regardless! It can learn stuff like Thunder Wave and Iron Defense and other goodies for utility!

Finding them made me feel like a archaeologist, haha. Trying to find them was pretty weird and random, but it was creative, and I loved it! I do hope that other legendary pokemon will follow their example. ;w;

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
Three times I tried to make a post here. Three times I disconnected and lose everything I've typed. I'm not even gonna bother telling my story anymore.

In a nutshell: No internet. Went to Sealed Chamber. Translated the Braille myself after searching on Microsoft Encarta for a chart. Unsealed the doors thanks to my surfer Wailord and a Relicanth I've caught in the PC. Acted like an idiot when opening Regice's chamber. Caught all of them.

If I have the motivation to re-type everything, I would. But I really don't want to lose yet another long post. I'll edit this when it's back.

Sirfetch’d

I feel like the method to obtain them was a little ridiculous, but I wouldn't have it any other way! These Pokemon are so cool and unique haha. My favorite is definitely Regice, but all 3 are lovely and my favorite trio ever <3 They are so bulky and annoying to face which makes them even more fun to use haha. I just love the typing and movepool of Regice a bit more than the others c:

Did everyone have to google the method? :O I know I did!

Years
I never caught any of the Regis, and the method of obtaining them is pretty awkward but the utilization of braille was an interesting approach. As for my fave of the three based solely on design, I think it's between Regice and Registeel. I don't like Rock-types that much so Regirock is far less appreciated by me, while the other two look less bumpy.

In terms of battling capability, Regice is a pretty good special stat user and I recall using one to stall my opponent a lot in a Winter Wonderland random battle on Showdown, plus it learns a few Electric moves for some additional coverage. Registeel is fairly good as well, with its tankish stats and good defensive capabilities. Regirock does hit hard on the physical end but I think he got hit more hard by 4th Gen's physical/special split than the other two.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I caught all three of them in Emerald, but I hardly used them. I don't like using legendaries, they make the game even more easy.
Registeel is my favorite. It has both great physical and special defense. A Registeel knowing Curse, Amnesia, Rest and Metal Claw was absolutely a great (maybe even the best) Pokémon in the Battle Factory.
I don't like the method to obtain them, or at least not the way it's explained, in braille. I can't read it and I don't think many people do. The other seemingly random actions are quite funny in my opinion, although the link between the trio and Wailord and Relicanth and the effect of the actions in the tombs could have been explained a little better.

Years
In my time playing these games, the only one of the Regi trio that I ever put in a serious effort to use on an in-game team was Regice. Mostly because the Ice-type works well for attacking, but that was so many years ago. Although I know there were a couple of those weird Curse/Amnesia Registeel sets in some battle facility sets in Generations IV and V, so I caught one in White 2 with decent IVs for that job.

As for obtaining them, it was a very unconventional method, but I remember the first time I found it out involved looking some stuff up on GameFaqs and using the Prima Strategy Guide I had acquired to figure out how to get them. xP

Years
When I first read what you had to do to get to them I thought they were kidding.
I prefer Regice just a bit more then other two. Have you guys heard their voices in anime? So creepy but so cool lol.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Despite the fact the Hoenn region sits firmly on top of my favorite regions. The Regi trio are sadly part of those things that I dislike in any Hoenn region based games. Please no, don't show them to me. Including their Mafia Boss: Regigigas.

Back