• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Year of the Monkey ~ The Trio Monkies!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So in the original BW games, you can get one of these elemental monkies as a gift, based on your starter pokemon! If you had an Oshawott, you get a Pansear! If you had an Tepig, you get a Pansage! With a Snivy, you get a Panpour!

The Year of the Monkey ~ The Trio Monkies!

But yes, in this topic, it's all about these three! So, which one of these: Pansage, Panpour, and Pansear, is your favourite? Have you used one of these pokemon in game? Why or why not? Do you like the concept of these pokemon as a whole? Feel free to share any thoughts!

Years
  • I really love these monkeys, because they're all so cute (despite how so many people hate them) and they learn a good selection of moves so they aren't as bad of a team member as you'd first think. While many consider it a starter ripoff, the one you receive to counter the Striaton Gym does also help complement your starter well, and you can easily build a team later on.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I really love these monkeys, because they're all so cute (despite how so many people hate them) and they learn a good selection of moves so they aren't as bad of a team member as you'd first think. While many consider it a starter ripoff, the one you receive to counter the Striaton Gym does also help complement your starter well, and you can easily build a team later on.

I agree! I ended up with Panpour and I loved it! I kept it on my team and had it with me during the battle against the e4.

Years
  • I agree! I ended up with Panpour and I loved it! I kept it on my team and had it with me during the battle against the e4.

I chose Oshawott so I got Pansear on my game, but that didn't stop me catching the other two later in the game. I ended up boxing Pansear because I wanted to use another Fire-type, but it did me well early and I have since evolved mine into a Simisear. Despite their similar looks, the monkeys do pretty well in terms of battle, being fast mixed attackers with a good TM movepool.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I chose Oshawott so I got Pansear on my game, but that didn't stop me catching the other two later in the game. I ended up boxing Pansear because I wanted to use another Fire-type, but it did me well early and I have since evolved mine into a Simisear. Despite their similar looks, the monkeys do pretty well in terms of battle, being fast mixed attackers with a good TM movepool.

Yea, I was pretty stoked to find out that the other monkeys could be caught later. I definitely caught them, but I didn't get to use them on my team. I think one day I'm going to replay White with a team of Monkeys, primarily consisting of the Simis and maybe an Infernape and a Primeape.

I think out of all three, I'd say Panpour/Simipour is my favorite, just because it was my first. It balanced well with my Serperior.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • Mm not as big of a fan of the monkeys as these two ^
    But my Simisage was a great addition to the team in my first playthrough and overall I enjoyed having him on my team.
    I think I like Pansage the most of the three because Simisage's design out of three was the most appealing to me yes i am a very shallow person

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • I like Pansear the best, his design looks the most like an actual monkey. And he is the one you get when you choose Oshawott who is bae.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
  • Pansage just looks like such a chill dude. The kind of pokémon you can just hang out with and shoot the breeze.

If we're talking in battle though. None. Zilch. Zero. They're all horrible, horrible pokémon and I would never be caught dead training a single one of them. Like seriously, I love gen 5. But those guys were a mistake.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Not really a big fan of these Pokemon. I do not like the designs of all lower evolution monkeys. Simipour is nope, Simisear is nah, and Simisage is the only one of the three whose design I can really tolerate.

I also never had the dream of using any of these, but who knows? I got a Panpour in Santalune Forest for my Y Nuzlocke so if ever my starter dies, I have a back-up water-type.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I think these guys are also redeemed by their early-game type advantage against one of your rivals, which would then give you an advantage over both rivals. (BW)

Years
  • i can't, no. they're still slow and no...

Their stats are actually all identical between the three of them, and the evolved forms have a very respectable 101 base Speed so not as slow as you'd think. I also love how the poses of the Sugimori art of Pansage/sear/pour is based on the three wise monkeys - Pansear is "hear no evil", Panpour is "see no evil" and Pansage is "speak no evil".

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I also love how the poses of the Sugimori art of Pansage/sear/pour is based on the three wise monkeys - Pansear is "hear no evil", Panpour is "see no evil" and Pansage is "speak no evil".

Wow! I didn't notice that!

The Year of the Monkey ~ The Trio Monkies!

Very cool!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I love the monkey trio theyre adorable although what i found saddening was their evolution's stats thats my only complaint i mean the attack and spatk wasnt very high nor was the speed they were kinda below average in that aspect but still a great design and addition to the pokedex :D

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I have taken two of them to the Hall of Fame.

I used the Pansear line (Nicknamed Hanuman) in my original Black run. He was a solid member of the team and was the Fire Member of the team.

I used the Pansage Line (Nicknamed Parsley) in my recent Y Grass Monotype. He was surprisingly speedy and the range of TMs he can learn made him useful throughout the game. The highlight for him was when soloed the Psychic Gym with Shadow Ball. He also made my Hall Of Fame Team.

My favourite of the three is the Pansage Line...He is so cute.

Whilst there are better Pokémon out there the Monkeys are very useful in game with their reasonably high speed and variety of Learnable TM moves.

LuQi

Wooloo Shepherd
    Years
  • The first monkey I received in my game was Pansear, since I chose Oshawott. It was half-decent in the early game, but after a while I boxed it and replaced it with a Ferrothorn. I thought they were nice filler for early game, but once I got to late/post-game, they were actually pretty good. Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour are all balanced, but I just prefer Simisage as far as design and movesets are concerned.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I do like these guys--I think their designs are cute. But their rather lackluster movepools (especially early on), coupled with the wide variety of other Pokémon I'd rather get, led to me never use them on my in-game teams. It also didn't help that, although I do think they're all cute, my favorite of the bunch is Pansear (he looks like Chili, who is my favorite of the Striaton Trio, ha ha), but I always got Panpour since I started with Snivy.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • So I just encountered a Panpour again in Santalune Forest in XY. I kept on forgetting that those monkeys exist outside BW because first, why? I'm just kidding. I may use one of them in my next playthrough of XY. Pansage maybe, just to give them a try.

Back