• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CSS: Bae or Nay?

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
  • Here's a slightly controversial topic that's been hopping on and off discussions in the RPT: is css in posts a good or bad thing? Css makes post look flashy, gives each character a sense of uniqueness and even gives important info (for example inventory or Pokemon team) in a cool looking way. On the other hand, it's been accused of being too flashy, unnecessary, difficult to learn and quite intimidating to newcomers who don't have any idea of what css is. As much as good css can be beautiful, bad css can be horrible and a real eyesore.

So what are your thoughts on it? Is css inherently good or bad? Is it worth learning? Do you use css yourself, and if so to what extent?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Personally, I'm a fan of it, but a lot of that I think is because I actually went through the trouble of learning it. In the past when I have roleplayed, CSS was rarely used, typically only for the intro post of a roleplay, and very occasionally for a character's SU. It does seem to be a thing that has kinda of cropped up more recently and increased in popularity, but that does not mean its a good thing.

Like you said, some CSS can be good, and some can just be an eyesore. I'm not a huge fan of using CSS to its full potential, using scroll bars and other flashy whatnot. I think just a simple background, a secondary background that is easy to read text against, and a plain colored text is fine. Its fine if you like putting a lot of work into these sorts of things, but if you go too far with it, it does tend to look like you are trying a bit too much.

I do wish that CSS was less of a thing, and not only because of new players but because its a lot of work. Putting together a nice looking CSS takes time, even now that I do know how to use it. But on top of that, it is a hard thing for new people to learn and a bit intimidating. I like the fact that we have a designated CSS template section, and I also noticed a one or two newer roleplays including a basic CSS for players to use if they wish, rather than making their own.

I just don't think that players should feel like its a required thing. It makes things look nice, but not necessary.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I think its fine in moderation, but not many use it in moderation. What is even worse is the people who think floodlight white with colored text is a good idea... Are you just trying to burn my eyes out of their sockets? Then there's also the effect of how everyone using it makes it seem required to know how to do, otherwise you don't belong.

I for one don't use it for two reasons. I don't have the time to code it normally, and I only know the basics.

I myself am happy enough with text that has minor formatting. I'm here to roleplay not code another website.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    My motto: If it looks good, it is good. Formatting (not calling it CSS because I believe it's actually BB code, though I wouldn't be the authority on that) is great for making your posts look good. If you wanna add some flair to your post then learn how to format.

Gonna be honest though, don't think the guides of PC are very good for beginners. Usually they just list code rather than explain the process, and even then these code glossaries don't include every option. I learned mostly from quoting different posts and checking out their layouts.

Formatted posts are only bad when they're designed poorly to the point where you can't read what's there. For example, putting straight text on a colorful background is no bueno, amigo. Not a fan of skinny text boxes either. Also don't like scrolling past lengthy posts especially when every post, in many cases on this forum, is a lengthy post. I highly suggest scroll-bars for longer, formatted posts.

Years
  • I love css. I love taking the time to make it look exactly how I like it, and I think it looks great when you can tell what character the post is about by the style of css used. I also prefer to limit the text to a certain width, and I hate it when people just type out their post, but their paragraphs are one or two lines in height because they span across my entire screen. I'd much prefer "ugly" css over text that stretches across the screen. I also strongly dislike centered text, but that's a whole different topic XD

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    My motto: If it looks good, it is good. Formatting (not calling it CSS because I believe it's actually BB code, though I wouldn't be the authority on that) is great for making your posts look good. If you wanna add some flair to your post then learn how to format.

Gonna be honest though, don't think the guides of PC are very good for beginners. Usually they just list code rather than explain the process, and even then these code glossaries don't include every option. I learned mostly from quoting different posts and checking out their layouts.

Formatted posts are only bad when they're designed poorly to the point where you can't read what's there. For example, putting straight text on a colorful background is no bueno, amigo. Not a fan of skinny text boxes either. Also don't like scrolling past lengthy posts especially when every post, in many cases on this forum, is a lengthy post. I highly suggest scroll-bars for longer, formatted posts.

BBcode is anything in the forum tags, like , and
    Spoiler:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I didn't used to like them. But after seeing how better they make a post look, I started to like them.

Not only do they make it look neater, but they make things a lot easier to read if they are centered and not have colors or font that would make it harder to read. You don't have a massive line like some site layouts cause, instead of having over 20 words per line, they are more like 10 words or less.

I only have one that I use right now thanks to my friend ShatteredxFrost who made it for me to use. Now I rp with it mostly every RP I am in, I do some changing on the photo and add a few things, but that is all I know how to do lol.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    ;;Cracks fingers;; Hooo boy, here we go.

Prior to joining this site, I have never seen CSS used in roleplay posts. So I was quite baffled when I started seeing this. To me, it is highly unnecessary and annoying. Particularly since people who use it have this habit of making their text width extremely narrow, which looks really bad on my large screen. All this wasted white space... it drives me insane.

And even when I swich to my tablet, threads full of CSS posts lag and freeze it. I don't want to have to switch to the mobile layout just so I can view a thread. There may even be people out there with a slower internet connection, not just those who sometimes use a mobile device, who might find RP posts unwieldy because of all the extra code that has to be loaded. It just isn't a good idea to me, in terms of usability.

I actually know how to use CSS, and have used it for various website layouts. On those, it makes sense. In individual posts, I honestly don't get it. This website already has layouts. Multiple layouts to choose from. Some of which I quite like and present the text to me in an already perfectly adequate way. A layout within a layout is illogical to me. It distracts me from what I'm trying to read and totally just takes me out of it because of the conflicting style of the inner layout and the overall site layout.

I'm not saying it's wrong to have a little formatting, but you don't need CSS to do it. Maybe a portrait of your character and their name on your IC posts, very minimal stuff. (After all, I do appreciate a constant reminder of what the character looks like) But only that which is relevant - not unnecessary clutter or forced width.

If there were some option to turn off CSS in posts though, I think it would be a good compromise. It is my hope that it is incorporated at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • I'm a pretty big fan of css myself, but i try never to go too overboard with it.
    There's definitely a point where it can get quite unbearable, but in moderation I think it can make a post look great :D

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    We also don't have any guides in the RPT on how to create any. We have user-created templates, that people can just copy and use, so they don't have to make any themselves, but the guides pertaining to CSS are located in computers and technology, if there currently are any.

Yeah I... know that. I meant, in-general, guides pertaining to CSS and layouts, whether that applies to RP posts or otherwise, I've never found very helpful.

(Not to mention I think I'd know about a thread I submitted a template for as well.)

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I hate CSS.

LOL just gonna lay that down, I hate it with a burning passion even though I used it rather extensively for the Trumpets RP complete with a scroll bar and everything. I just think it looks tacky, no matter how tasteful someone manages to make it look. Blocks of color which usually clash with the skin I'm using on PC, and just- the crazy people who don't seem to ever read their own posts because they use like BLINDING COLORED TEXT or whatever- like are you for real?? Is this the real life???

Even my own CSS looks tacky to me, but I use it because it feels kind of awkward not to use it when everyone else does. (Irony being that few people in trumpets use it because there's a lot of newbie RPers so now I just look like that one jerk.) And while I'm not the type to let that stop me from roleplaying, I do see how it's a hurdle for people with more f's to give than I do. The only place I feel like CSS is appropriate is in the GM's posts-- that makes sense to me, because it sets apart official posts in a stylistic way that's characteristic to the RP itself.

Last edited:

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • I like CSS, but that's only because I'm good at it.

HTML code on this site is not permitted though, so on this site, learning how to code CSS through BBCode, which is a lightweight markup language, was grating at first.

And to be honest, in part, it still is. Why?

PokeCommunity does not have Table tags.
    Add them.

Table tags, you know, for tables, one of the most basic elements of web design. Tables, something where you can put things in columns and rows so evenly, for some reason, does not exist here. They made tags for content warnings which is just a colorful border around a div with bold text in it, but not basic tables. I could try and have my divs display as they would in a table, but they cannot combine into the arrangement of table elements in the same way that an outright table can. Besides, that's way too unnecessary to try with divs anyway, only to find that your arrangement is slightly off and can't be fixed.

Anyway, I like taking the time to make my posts look pretty, since despite this CSS being converted into BBCode, the attributes are still the same in actual CSS, so it's a way for me to brush up on my web design skills. Plus, it gives my post my own touch of style, something unique to me that I impart into my character. The more advanced, the harder the challenge, the more satisfaction I reap at the end of a couple hours in my down time.

Years
  • I think CSS is pretty cool, in particular I think it's great for making an OP more appealing to prospective RPers and more organised. It's less of a big-deal when it comes to IC posts, but I think that so long as it's not over done it's just another neat way of personalising your work.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • CSS is great, I picked it up willingly (none of this strange peer pressure stuff people are feeling. What's up with that?) because I love designing things.

For all the people that feel the need to complain because the RPT is pressuring you into using css: we're not. If you don't like using it, don't. No one's forcing you.

So my overall thoughts on the matter are: use it if you like it, don't use it if you hate it. I don't know what to say about the lag problem some people are experiencing though, it's an unfortunate situation, but I don't find css unnecessary at all, it's great at distinguishing, helps organize thoughts, and can set the mood based on colors and fonts.

The thing we're talking about with pressuring isn't necessarily that people are pressuring others to use it. The pressure to learn it or leave comes from the feeling a new RPer may get from joining an RP where every other person uses CSS. That can make people feel like "If I can't do CSS like everyone else, maybe I just shouldn't join. People also might look down on me since I don't know how to do it." It also might plain intimidate people away from even considering joining because they think their post will look like poo compared to everyone else.

I myself have no F's to give that my post doesn't use CSS. Makes me unique in this flood of samey formats.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Snaps for Arsenic's post

It's a mental thing, really. It's kind of like how if you were the only person not wearing a fedora in a room full of fedora-wearing-people, like yes, you're perfectly in the right for not wearing an atrocity on your head. But you still feel kinda weird about it, you know? LOL Whether you let that get to you or not is purely a personal thing, and is of course, nobody's fault but yours.

Still, that bit matters less to me than the fact that it just looks tacky to me. Still fine in OP posts, but not a fan in IC.

Last edited:

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Fedoras are beautiful what are you talking about

Anyway, I still have a hard time understanding why it's a big deal. Yes, I get why it feels weird, but if you really feel so strongly about it, just don't use it! No one will judge you for a second, what matters is the post content, not the css.

However, if you really feel the need to implement some sort of css, well then take a look at some of the templates. There are several extremely minimalistic designs that can't possibly be tacky but offer enough support that it should negate your feelings of being the odd one out. No one wants you to be uncomfortable, especially in a situation that is so easily resolved.

I don't think it's a big deal so much as it's just a part of the topic of the thread-- or well, the Nay half of the topic. And I think it was misconstrued into people thinking that it was like, something intentionally done to make people feel uncomfortable when that's not the case- so we were like yeah that's not what we meant. LOL It's a thing, but it's not a big deal-- and you're right it's easily resolved if you join the bandwagon or grow a pair and get over it. But it's worth mentioning when we're on the subject of CSS because why not?

edit: And I realize that I'm getting off topic so that's the end of that LOL

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I see how CSS can push new RPers away as it is becoming more frequent nowadays than before and people might think it is a requirement to learn.

I personally am a big fan of it as I find posts easier to read with a little bit of colors and editing. I use them in my posts for example, except when I'm just too lazy to code.

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
  • I don't see a point in making posts flashy, if they are RPs or not, however ironic it is for me to say that. Extra formatting is not necessary on forum posts, but it gives options to those who want to try something new and make their posts easier to navigate and overall more appealing.

The wonderful thing about it, though, is that you get to choose if you use it or not, with absolutely no punishment either way.

I don't see how it's intimidating or off putting. Am I the only one who sees a flashy post and quotes it to see how it works so I can learn to do it myself? When I see some css I don't recognise, I look into it, eager to further my capabilities. If I care about the flashiness, it's so I can learn from it.

Even then, if you don't like it, you don't have to learn complex formatting to read posts or be on-par with someone. Eyesore formatting can always be quoted or copy/pasted into notepad. I'm sure the majority of people will let you copy their formatting (not like they have the right to stop you anyway), so at the very least you can mirror someone's fancy posts.

As for the apparently difficulty in learning CSS: you first should learn how to use HTML, since CSS is basically making HTML look fancy. Having the option to use CSS through BBCode is quite tedious, because you need to use div tags and basically use backhand HTML through CSS through BBCode. Easy solution is to allow restricted HTML editing, which a lot of forums have. Moderators do exist to handle obnoxious coding, too.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • They... actually do have CSS Table tags. Just gotta know where to look. If you'd like, I can VM/PM you about it. :v It's quite complicated though so yeah-- //offtopic

It's not in their FAQ BBCode list. If they have the tags, they need to do their community a service and update.

But please, Table tag me. Do it.

Back