• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most overrated game ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
While I don't know if I could say it's the most overrated game for everyone, I would have to say that the Five Night's at Freddies series is up there as top tier overrated. I understand that the game series has a very large following and community encircling it, but I've never understood how people have bought into essentially the same game for what, four titles? I get that the game mixes up its formula slightly from game to game, but it's essentially the same thing each and every time: don't get spooky jump scared.

I've seen people play the game but eh, just not my cup of tea unfortunately.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
While I don't know if I could say it's the most overrated game for everyone, I would have to say that the Five Night's at Freddies series is up there as top tier overrated. I understand that the game series has a very large following and community encircling it, but I've never understood how people have bought into essentially the same game for what, four titles? I get that the game mixes up its formula slightly from game to game, but it's essentially the same thing each and every time: don't get spooky jump scared.
I think Necrum could probably explain why the series is as popular as it is better than I could, but a lot of the reason that people enjoy the game is because of the story. Mainly because FNAF does environmental storytelling really damn well, and I don't think I've seen nearly as much groupthink come out of a title since...ever, really. The various mysteries behind what's happening (and what happened) as well as the implications behind the truth and whether we have all the pieces, it's all really fun stuff.

People generally tend to jump on the jumpscares because they're traditionally cheap and lazy, but I think FNAF (barring the second) use them pretty well by making them a negative sanction and, well, nothing else (though even they tend to give narrative clues). Honestly, I daresay a good part of the fanbase wouldn't even really mind if they were thrown out.

And as far as it being essentially the same game...well, I guess this depends on the person. It changes things up more than CoD did back in its rehash hayday and Pokemon did prior to XY, plus it's pretty cheap- but it's also pretty short and you won't spend days on it. So it's a total two-way street, there.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I think Necrum could probably explain why the series is as popular as it is better than I could, but a lot of the reason that people enjoy the game is because of the story. Mainly because FNAF does environmental storytelling really damn well, and I don't think I've seen nearly as much groupthink come out of a title since...ever, really. The various mysteries behind what's happening (and what happened) as well as the implications behind the truth and whether we have all the pieces, it's all really fun stuff.

I will give FNAF credit to that. Similar to games such as Destiny and Dark Souls, FNAF does do an excellent job telling a story through it's environment. I've seen - like probably many others - MatPat's Game Theory on the background and information of the game to help develop plot. However, similar to the other games I mentioned, I think others besides myself may agree that on a first look at the game, people aren't going to really know what the hell is going on besides "oh these animatronics are attacking me, must survive."

You're going to get these hardcore fanatics of the game like MatPat that will help explain what is going on, but personally I don't think that environmental story telling is the best kind of story telling. I'm a huge fan of games like Destiny and Dark Souls, but you won't know what the hell is going on unless you do further research on the game (which I don't really believe is the best strategy in going about explaining your game.) While I think yes, it's a different way to tell the game, I don't think it's the best way to go about it for the masses in general and on a consumer basis.

People generally tend to jump on the jumpscares because they're traditionally cheap and lazy, but I think FNAF (barring the second) use them pretty well by making them a negative sanction and, well, nothing else (though even they tend to give narrative clues). Honestly, I daresay a good part of the fanbase wouldn't even really mind if they were thrown out.

It's true that jumpscares are more integrated into the core gameplay of the game than other games, but I think that's why just personally for myself I hate the concept of it. In general, we're trained and wired to think that in games - and in movies - jump scares are cheap and lazyand a way to mask an entity as being classified as part of the "horror" genre. When I think of games such as P.T. and certain scenes/events in Dead Space, I get a more definitive idea of "horror" based on the story telling and buildups. Sure, there are instances of jump scares in these games, but I think of these as true horror games more than FNAF. But that's just A GAME THEORY my personal preference and could be debated as to whether those games are true horror games too. It's a tricky line to walk essentially is a hard concept to master.

And as far as it being essentially the same game...well, I guess this depends on the person. It changes things up more than CoD did back in its rehash hayday and Pokemon did prior to XY, plus it's pretty cheap- but it's also pretty short and you won't spend days on it. So it's a total two-way street, there.

Which is also why I stopped playing Call of Duty and Pokemon, as well as games like Assassin's Creed awhile back cause it's the same thing over and over again haha :P I like new, intuitive games than the same game reskinned. I think more over the issue with all of these examples including FNAF but excluding Pokemon - I'll explain why in a sec - is that they are consistently released in too short of a window. The creator of FNAF released 4 games over the course of 1 year; Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed releases a game every year. This in turn oversaturates and diminishes the quality of the game in my opinion, as you are getting the same thing over and over and over again - it doesn't really add too much to the formula and is why gamers like myself get tired of the same thing and feel meh about the game. The reason why I give Pokemon a semi-pass and is an exception is because the core game series isn't released on an annual basis, but there is still argument that the game formula is stale (which is why I stopped playing after Platinum.)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
No Man's Sky seems to have made the most ludicrous claims that people somehow actually believed... thus far, which is to say this preorder-baiting marketing behaviour of great promises and review embargoes followed by utter shit is a trend on the upturn, and the worst is yet to come.

Yukari

It's good. It's fun. The story is interesting.
It's just not as good as the toxic fanbase would like us all to believe.

Well yeah, but aren't most fanbases like that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like the word "Overrated" is used as an attack on a game that either got a lot of attention before release or has recently received a lot of attention regardless of how well the game was actually received by either critics or the fanbase.

Like, when destiny came out that game was destiny, when any Call of Duty game comes out that game is Call of Duty, and now it seems to be No Man's Sky. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen someone call these games overrated I would already have my college education paid for- but the thing is, they haven't been particularly well received. Well, aside from some CoD games that did legitimately get high-ish ratings by professional critics and very mixed opinions at best to universal hatred at worst from the community. It's almost as if people just want to join a bandwagon hating on something without being questioned for it.

Of course I could totally be wrong with that observation- and I welcome anyone that would like to challenge it. But I've seen nothing to the contrary.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I think there is a legitimate way to use the word, but yes, it's definitely misused often - like you said, No Man's Sky is probably better described as "overhyped" rather than overrated since its ratings are pretty mediocre. But I'd say GP used it correctly - I don't agree with his opinion but if he doesn't think Undertale is as good as the majority say it is, then to him it is indeed overrated.

And similarly, I'd also have to say I find FNAF overrated. Matt pretty much summed up what I think of it - props for the story, I suppose (I only know of it through all of MatPat's videos 'cause there is no way I would be observant enough to pick up on anything while playing that, lol) but the gameplay looks dull and repetitive; I honestly thought it was a pretty cool and neat idea when the first game came out, but 4 games later with little innovation I'm just really surprised it continued to be so highly anticipated. I guess I'm just the kind of person who wants a story told to me cohesively and I'm not stoked to hunt through sound files, play them backwards for hints or watch the game frame by frame for hidden clues to piece together or whatever, lol. I like theories, I like open-ended, vague storytelling, but I just found FNAF's story too vague for my tastes.

And back to the gameplay part, I know it can be argued that lots of popular and successful games are based on the same formula - Macho mentioned Pokémon earlier, for example, and yeah, all the Pokémon games are pretty similar - but to me it's fun, solid gameplay that doesn't rely on the story to be interesting. To each their own though, I'm sure lots of people do find FNAF fun, but it's just really not for me, from the way the story is presented to the gameplay itself.

Yukari

But I'd say GP used it correctly - I don't agree with his opinion but if he doesn't think Undertale is as good as the majority say it is, then to him it is indeed overrated.
... How was I saying that? That was just a separate comment about how much I dislike most fanbases. xd

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
... How was I saying that? That was just a separate comment about how much I dislike most fanbases. xd
Saying what? I was just using GP's statement as an example of using "overrated" correctly.

Years
The main Pokemon games honestly. Yeah I know this a Pokemon forum...

You would think after 16 years of following the pretty much same formula it would get stale and boring for the older fanbase, especially since you can't even catch em all without 2 copies, but people still find them fun and amazing and all that. Yeah sure the graphics, music and story have all improved a lot, but essentially you are still playing the same game with a reskin and your motivation in all the games is basically the same.

Then again I'm a Pokemon fan mainly because of PMD and PR spin offs, so I guess I just don't have those nostalgia feelings for the main games that others may have.

*braces for pitchforks*

User19sq

In the unlikely case that anyone here hasn't or will never mention these two titles: the Call of Duty series (or shooting games in general) as well as Undertale. As a fan of Team Fortress 2, I can assure people that CoD isn't the only shooter game that matters. And as a MOTHER/EarthBound fan, I'd like to say: knock it off with the speculations. Undertale has nothing to do with Ness, plain as that.
The main Pokemon games honestly. [...] *braces for pitchforks*

No need to brace. I feel that the only Pokémon game that's truly overrated (in today's world, at least) is Pokémon GO. Try finding a GO player that can explain to you how Arceus created everything, or how Kyurem's current state came to be, or how to spell "Yveltal". Hard to find people who barely tread outside the original 151 or Gen II Pokémon. XD;

Savashy

headsplitter
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
imo Five Nights at Freddy's. it spawned a terrible fanbase, and like five games now iirc

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I feel that the only Pokémon game that's truly overrated (in today's world, at least) is Pokémon GO. Try finding a GO player that can explain to you how Arceus created everything, or how Kyurem's current state came to be, or how to spell "Yveltal". Hard to find people who barely tread outside the original 151 or Gen II Pokémon. XD;

I mean, the thing is that these people you deride were the core market for GO; lapsed fans (or people who only have the most cursory knowledge of the heyday of the franchise) who had not been interested enough in the franchise to buy a game + relevant console for many years. It is an extremely accessible medium to rekindle interest in the franchise, by appealing to people who haven't really played much since Emerald at the latest; the numbers of which I would wager are at least three times the amount of active fans today. GO isn't really a game - it's simply a very successful advert that thrived on it being 'overrated' and overhyped. Viewing it in the context of being an advert for Sun & Moon makes the simplicity, and the flaws, of GO much easier to understand. Same goes for the people playing it who don't really know what is happening today, but would like to. GO did its job perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back