• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Memorable NPCs

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
8aVmXoC.jpg

We've all come across them at one point or another when it comes to playing video games. You've got some pretty amazing ones - like the one above, Solaire, from the Dark Souls series - some absolutely annoying ones - fuck you Animal Crossing's Rosetti - and some that make you cry from laughter - yes I know he was playable in the Pre-Sequel, but I'm referring to Claptrap from Borderlands 2. Nonetheless, NPCs, while nonplayable, can leave everlasting impacts on us by being memorable in their own ways.

Whichever NPCs are memorable to you? For what reasons? As stated before, Solaire from the Dark Souls series is the most memorable to me. His go-to happy attitude in such a bleak setting, as well as the fact that a meme was born from his actions leave a great impression on me overall. Another NPC I give credit to for being rad is Variks from Destiny. One of the biggest gripes about the game when it dropped was that the characters in the game had no real personality to them. When the House of Wolves DLC dropped, Variks was the first example of how awesome a Destiny NPC could be based on their personality with his Yoda-sequence speech patterns.​

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
*minnesotan accent*

wasteland survival guide

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
There are so many interesting NPCs, but off the top of my head right now -

Cicero from Skyrim was really memorable for me - I remember opinions of him were so polarizing at the time it was kind of hilarious; people either hated him or loved him, and I definitely loved him. He was just this quirky, colourful oddball in this land full of gloomy and serious Nords, which I found really amusing and it made him stand out right away, but later on in the Dark Brotherhood questline when you actually find out more about his character and descent into madness, you realize he's not just this random weirdo they stuck in for comedic relief but he actually has a really interesting and tragic past.

Needless to say, I spared him and gained a new follower (as opposed to many who just decapitated him and threw him in the fire when given the opportunity), and even as a follower I really liked him. He has the perk of being one of the few followers who can't die permanently, for one, but he also has a bunch of unique (but limited, you'll hear them all pretty soon) dialogue that he spouts as he accompanies you. Which, again, a lot of people found super annoying but I thought it was endearing. :P

Yukari

Animal crossing is full of great NPCs! In particular Alphonso is my favorite. c: He's really lazy and adorable.

Lucatiel of Mirrah is one of my favorite NPCs too. She really stuck out to me in Dark Souls 2... Though I'm not really sure how to explain it? If I were to make a terrible attempt at it, I'd have to say that Dark Souls 2 had a different tone than 1, but she felt like a character from the first game to me.

Or maybe I'm just bsing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Years

I'm one of the people who thought Cicero was fairly annoying lol. I did, however, appreciate the attempt later in the quest line to characterize him more, but it never quite got to the point to where I didn't find him unpleasant to be around :P His outfit is on point though.

Speaking of annoying NPCs, I actually really like Slippy Toad from the Star Fox games. Idk it's probably his innocent nature, voice, and the memes, but I just find him so amusing.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Some Borderlands 2 NPCs...

AXfUFam.jpg

Sir Hammerlock.
"Do you feel that you have too many bullets and not enough money?"

I'm a sucker for the whole "Gentleman" especially the Quintessential British Gentleman archetype. I love his verbose speech as well which is really quite the exquisite piece of dialogue i should say.

VnBihDN.jpg

Mr Torgue.
"BY SIGNING UP IN THE TOURNAMENT OF BADASSITUDE, YOU FORFEIT YOUR RIGHT TO CRY, EAT TOFU, AND WATCH MOVIES WHERE PEOPLE KISS IN THE RAIN AND SH*T!"

I WONT SAY TOO MANY SYLLABLES BUT SINCE THIS IS ALL ABOUT MR. TORGUE... nah not going that route.. but when it comes to a character with an excessively high level of testosterone poisoning, Mr Torgue perfectly symbolizes it. Thanks Gearbox for writing such an amazing character.

FJDnyDx.jpg

Tiny Tina
"Come on iiiin, you are missing the Fuun!"

Yep. I think a lot of people who have played a ton of Borderlands 2 may agree (or we can agree to disagree) that Tiny Tina's probably the most memorable character in the game for what she is. The whole peppy and maniacal little girl with varying speech patterns is such a lovely NPC.

The best part, all three of these NPCs have their DLC campaigns which expand the whole Borderlands 2 experience.

Yukari

Speaking of annoying NPCs, I actually really like Slippy Toad from the Star Fox games. Idk it's probably his innocent nature, voice, and the memes, but I just find him so amusing.

Oh my god I'm not the only one. x:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
On the more goofy side.

Brucie Kibbutz from GTA IV. Why? I don't know, his personality is just perfectly outrages while still being real enough to believe.
Spoiler:

And while on the Roid'd out character path, I cannot forget the king of roid'd out characters.

Spoiler:

I don't think I even need to comment on the level of manliness.

On a more serious side...

Rtas Vadum (Formally Vadumee) from the Halo series. While he always seems to be the sidekick of the Arbiter, he seems to be a bigger badass. Former leader of the Covie's special forces, leader of the rebellion, master of the last assault carrier ship. His direct intervention even saved earth from becoming parasitic zombies! Oh, and he lost half of his alien jaw in combat, hence his nick name of "Half-jaw".
Spoiler:

One more from Halo, Gunnery Sergeant Johnson. When he joined the Corps he didn't have fancy-shmanzy tanks! He had sticks. Two stick, and a rock for the whole platoon...... ....and they had to share the rock.

Spoiler:

James Hoxworth from PAYDAY and 2 is probably one of the most memorable characters out of the game due to his aggressive attitude and being voiced by Pete Gold. Plus he's got an absolutely charming personality, which is why I play as him!

Spoiler:

And my last choice, Barney Calhoun from the Half-Life series. Charismatic, smart, tough, and tactically competent this man has been an avid fighter/survivor in both the Black Mesa indecent and the City 17 uprising. Without him, Gordon Freeman's quests would have never been accomplished (as seen by his lack of being in Episode 2, causing episode 3 never to become realized) . Plus everyone remembers "Now, about that beer I owe ya!" or the previous game's "Catch me later I'll buy ya a beer."

Spoiler:

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
umm.. there's a lot of npc's that i totally love!

muffy from acnl (she's just totally adorable)
Spoiler:

elena from uncharted
Spoiler:

and i can't forget triss from the witcher 3 (she's just sooo coool)
Spoiler:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Lucatiel of Mirrah is one of my favorite NPCs too. She really stuck out to me in Dark Souls 2... Though I'm not really sure how to explain it? If I were to make a terrible attempt at it, I'd have to say that Dark Souls 2 had a different tone than 1, but she felt like a character from the first game to me.

Or maybe I'm just bsing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh I definitely agree with you on her. Her personality - as well as her attire - was very out of place in DS2. Also, if I recall correctly, wasn't her story arc a tragedy? I don't remember if this is true or not, but wasn't she losing her memories or something up to the point where you inherit her armor before the dragon boss?

DS2 was a fun game, I have to go back and play that once I'm done doing my Dark Souls 1 playthrough.

Yukari

Oh I definitely agree with you on her. Her personality - as well as her attire - was very out of place in DS2. Also, if I recall correctly, wasn't her story arc a tragedy? I don't remember if this is true or not, but wasn't she losing her memories or something up to the point where you inherit her armor before the dragon boss?

DS2 was a fun game, I have to go back and play that once I'm done doing my Dark Souls 1 playthrough.

Well she's becoming hollow so, yeah it was pretty tragic. Losing her memories was a part of that.

Which, really made me like her more.

Years
Garrus and Tali from Mass Effect are pretty memorable NPCs!

I also thought Revolver Ocelot was pretty memorable as well in every game he's in, I loved Liquid Ocelot in MGS4 too.

Colonel Mael Radec and Scolar Visari (voiced by Brian Cox) in Killzone and Killzone 2.

And who can forget the Old Man in Pokemon Red and Blue Versions? "Let me show you how to catch Pokemon!" I mean come on, if you don't know who he is then you're not a Pokemon master!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
What do we mean by NPCs? Because wouldn't every boss and side character count if it simply meant non playable?

Years
For me, the first NPC that came to mind was Gamon from World of Warcraft.

I started playing during the Cataclysm, but before that I'd go over to my friend's house and watch him play during Wrath of the Lich King. He was showed me Gamon, an tauren who hung out in the inn in Orgrimmar. Super weak, everybody killed him because it was funny, and people killed him often. He'd only drop a few copper for a "reward".

Cataclysm launched, and they BUFFED Gamon. They turned him from a level 12 joke, into a level 90 MONSTER with just over 1M health, and he would absolutely slaughter you. It would take huge groups of people to kill him, and he'd STILL manage to take a few of you with him. He would still only drop a few copper as a "reward".

In Mists of Pandaria, when Warchief Garrosh Hellscream becomes corrupted and locks down Orgrimmar, you can see him standing off with a few of the guards. In a later patch (5.4, I think?), when the raid Siege of Orgrimmar came out, you see the guards holding him with guns pointing at him. You actually fight with him against General Nazgrim, Garrosh's right hand man.

I still think back to seeing Gamon's lowly corpse laying in the Orgrimmar inn, some punk laughing about it. I also think back to seeing Gamon's body laying outside of the Auction House, with many other bodies around him, with big groups of people cheering and shouting that they'd slain the monster Gamon. Maybe it resonates with me, because this all was really prevalent when I first started playing, but it still makes me very happy and nostalgic thinking about it!

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
When it comes to some NPCs that I find very memorable include:

Tali, Garrus, Wrex, and Legion from the Mass Effect series
Johnny Gat from the Saints Row series
Sergeant Johnson from the Halo series
Malik from the first Assassin's Creed game
RC-1140 "Fixer", RC-1207 "Sev" and RC-1262 "Scorch" from Star Wars Republic Commando
HK-47 and Mandalore the Preserver
Spoiler:
from the Star Wars KotOR series

Back