• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Nintendo Switch

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    hi I'm late to the party

The fact that you can play games in both console and handheld mode is good for me since I have kind of run out of TVs to plug shit into. The controllers confuse me though, like just give me a GC/PS3/Xbox360-esque controller and I'm good, why is there like 3 of them?

Do you think that this is the future of Nintendo gaming systems? That once the Wii U and 3DS truly die, Switch-type systems will be all Nintendo makes for gaming systems?

also real talk, is this Skyrim Remastered version gonna be less buggy? cuz that would be fucking great

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • During an interview with Reggie Fils-Aime a couple of months back, apparently Nintendo will look into VR when it becomes more mainstream with your average consumer. I haven't kept up with the development of VR technology as of late, but would you say it's at a point where it's mainstream, or only appealing to a niche market? Going from Reggie's comments, it seems Nintendo is erring on the side of caution.

I would say currently, it's only appealing to a niche market.

However, I honestly do believe that VR will be the future for gaming. I'm not the biggest fan of it myself - unless it's like, full body augmenting VR like Sword Art Online - but I think it will pick up steam...only if the pricing for it is consumer friendly. With a quick Google search, the Oculus Rift - probably the most household name of the VR group - has a going price between $600-$800+, so right there you can see that alone would shun the average consumer away from such a buy. That being said, PlayStation VR is going for $400, and hopefully when we learn of the pricing of Microsoft's VR equivalent gets released the competition will overall drive the price of it down to a much, much more consumer friendly pricing.

Reggie isn't wrong to second guess VR. It could potentially be a poor investment as no one has had true blue success with it yet. Still...I really want Sword Art Online full body augmenting VR lol

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    They are porting over two of it's biggest seller (probably 3 as smash is most likely happening). The wii u's last game is breath of the wild, which is set as a Switch launch title it seems. Considering they decided to port Mario Maker and Wooly World to 3ds nad Hyrule warriors, I'd be willing to bet they'll all be Switch ports.
    Pretty much waiting for some info on whether Smash gets ported, because then I don't need to buy a WiiU afterall.
    also real talk, is this Skyrim Remastered version gonna be less buggy? cuz that would be fucking great
    Well, it is Bethesda. All they need is mods and down goes their desire to provide support/maintainance.

Reactions: Z25

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
    Years
  • Havent bought a console since wii and 360 era. dont plan too but was thinking of a scorpio if i do. Wouldn't mind gettin this either looks fine. There was a time I waited years for nintendo revolution to come out since i herd it could play n64 and snes and it ended up being called da wii.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I just realized THQ Nordic is in there. Give me Darksiders 3 for the love of god, I don't need any other 3rd party support, just that.

Otherwise, I love it. The dock and tablet part look huge, and then you realise those front ports are USB ports, and then it becomes tiny, real tiny. Overall it looks like a much more solid and un Nintendo like device, but that's okay in my books, they need to start taking hardware seriously. Grey and black is so much more adult of a color scheme then previous consoles, and that splash of red that will accompany boxarts and packaging offers just the right amount of vivre to tell you this is still Nintendo at heart. Did anyone else notice that there are a lot of stylus like nooks on the bottom for them to offer one?

Years
  • You're not the boss of your family and friends.

Ohohoho! Says you! In all honesty, I'm probably the only one who would buy any console at all to tell the truth. Most of my friends have little to no interest in video games, but art, music, or modeling. The only other friend the would be a candidate is hardcore BoX-BOi and already stated his opinion of Nintendo (pretty colourful language not fit for human consumption).

But I am pleased that there was nothing else in the post that you took offence with and will gladly thank you for looking out for my peasan- I mean loyal sub- no, no, no I mean my slav- family. I meant to say family, not slaves.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • Ohohoho! Says you! In all honesty, I'm probably the only one who would buy any console at all to tell the truth. I will gladly thank you for looking out for my peasan- I mean loyal sub- no, no, no I mean my slav- family. I meant to say family, not slaves.

Your attitude disgusts me...both in this post and the earlier diatribe. At least in this post you're being more in jest than your last one, though.

But I am pleased that there was nothing else in the post that you took offence with

I guess you didn't see my post on the previous page, then.

Pretty much waiting for some info on whether Smash gets ported, because then I don't need to buy a WiiU afterall.

Well Nintendo has a history of making one Smash game per console ever since 64. That's not likely to change. You could look forward to a whole new Smash instead of a port, possibly.

Years
  • The Switch looks so god damn good, it's such a cool concept and seems to have been brought to life amazingly by Nintendo. It'll sure be interesting to see what kinda Pokemon game we get for this console, I can't wait for more info!

Reactions: Z25

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I really like the design of the console. It's got that unique look that Nintendo would go for in a new console whilst having a modern feel at the same time that doesn't stick out badly.

Interesting that they're going back to cartridges - I think it'll be a good thing though compared to discs now that flash storage is more viable and costs less meaning faster loading times.

It isn't small enough to be carried around for portable gaming, say if you're commuting to somewhere on public transpirt but maybe it isn't meant to replace the 3DS line. Instead what if it's meant to target those people who might use a tablet for gaming on the go?

Last edited:

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • I really like the design of the console. It's got that unique look that Nintendo would go for in a new console whilst having a modern feel at the same time that doesn't stick out badly.

Interesting that they're going back to cartridges - I think it'll be a good thing though compared to discs now that flash storage is more viable and costs less meaning faster loading times.

It isn't small enough to be carried around for portable gaming, say if you're computing to somewhere on public transpirt but maybe it isn't meant to replace the 3DS line. Instead what if it's meant to target those people who might use a tablet for gaming on the go?

Mmmn, good points, good points.

User19sq

The cartridge thing is a bit shaking for my head. I thought CDs were all the rage in today's world. But Ninty's always been the revolutionary top dog, even if they haven't embraced VR.

I just hope Genius Sorority goes on to FINALLY DEVELOP THE SEQUEL TO POKEMON XD ON THIS THING!!!!!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Well Nintendo has a history of making one Smash game per console ever since 64. That's not likely to change. You could look forward to a whole new Smash instead of a port, possibly.
    My estimation on a good chunk of the first wave of Nintendo releases is that they'll be enhanced ports of Wii U titles or at least heavily built off of them.

We've already seen hints of this with the Mario Kart footage in the trailer yesterday (sure looks like Mario Kart 8, but you can hold two items and King Boo and possibly Dry Bones were present) and Splatoon (some new hairstyles present, and a new map).

"Definitive" releases of Wii U games.

With Smash... this could be a great opportunity to combine all the content from the Wii U and 3DS versions and throw some extra characters into the mix.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • We've already seen hints of this with the Mario Kart footage in the trailer yesterday (sure looks like Mario Kart 8, but you can hold two items and King Boo and possibly Dry Bones were present)

I had a closer look. Your text description made me think Double Dash, but there's only one character per cart, and the UI for the map and the items is different from any other title. The footage is either a tech demo or a build of an upcoming Mario Kart 9.

P.S. Puppy Switch! https://twitter.com/cuteosphere/status/789127561188110336

Years
  • Now I hear this will have 3 hour battery life. That's worrisome.

Batteries are a stupid technology. Why haven't we replaced them with tiny gas turbines or petrol engines already?

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    What makes her a reliable source, curious? I'm reading it and not particularly seeing anything convincing.

She leaked all the stats of the NX. Said the trailer would confirm cartridges, that touch screen isn't the focus, that its handheld, home console hybrid, and more.

She even called the announcement before it happened. She's pretty reliable. Emily Rogers had a lot correct as well. The two seem to have the same sources.

Emily also talked about how Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Smash were being considered for ports, which could prove the Splatoon one's a port.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • Those could just be theories, half of which were proven true, Z25.
    A YouTuber I watch had a theory about the Switch controller being pretty much exactly what it turned out to be, but that was educated guessing, not insider information.

Whatever. I think it's dumb to get upset over a supposed, unconfirmed, and rather unlikely number of hours, that someone on the internet claimed.
    I say "unlikely" because it's not likely a company would release the system in that state. Remember, this thing is coming out in March, there's still lots of things they'll be working on before they release.

Years
  • Your attitude disgusts me...both in this post and the earlier diatribe.

Well, that's certainly your prerogative to dislike my opinion. You seem to be taking it far more personally than anyone else here, however, and would advise (as a bit of sanity and headache reducing piece) that not paying too much attention to what other's opinions are about a piece of technology that you might be excited for.

I stated my opinion, why I wouldn't be purchasing the item, and the feelings behind said opinion. I didn't attack or call anyone out. Becoming antagonistic by being vindictive i.e. "I guess you didn't see my post on the previous page, then" after a small jest, to me, is poor form. "I don't know you" -Rasmus, and you don't know me and other than the subject at hand we might actually have a lot in common; but turning nasty because someone you don't know personally has a different opinion about a video game console is a tad disconcerting.

To outright detest and show disgust for someone who doesn't like this new console is surprising. I stated that I still love Nintendo and wouldn't purchase the product due to a long string poor design gimmicks and tricks that has, in my eyes, turned Nintendo into a running joke. I don't personally enjoy every new 'innovation' or change that Nintendo puts forth and I know more than a few others of the same opinion. The individual I told you about previously, the X-Box guy? I quote "Nah, that's gay ass shit" -Xb0XFanN30o0 (Steven. His name is Steven). Now, I don't share his opinion but his dismissal of the entire company itself concerns me more than my own opinion. He'd rather chow Doritos and Drink Mountain Dew (not really, he drinks Coke nonstop) to his grave than give Nintendo a shot, and there are a lot of people like him out there.

I'm not sure what seems to be your issue with me besides my apt distaste for this new console. I hope we can move past this and wind up friends instead of bickering in a thread about a product that isn't even available for purchase on the main market floor. Cheers.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years

• I don't like how you're painting me.
    And I don't think what you're saying is true.
    I certainly don't mean to "turn nasty."

My issue with you isn't your distaste for the console, but instead that your issues with gimmicks don't actually apply to this console, you were complaining about features of the Wii, Wii U, and Amiibos, and labeling that as a reason to yell that the Switch is shit.

Not to mention the attitude you take toward enforcing your opinions on others. You said that just because you don't like it, your friends and family aren't allowed to play it either.

Again, I don't mean to turn nasty, but I think it's justified to be disgusted with views like those. That was simply my reaction to how you chose to express yourself. Your free speech is yours to wield, but what you don't get to choose is how people react to you.

Back