• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sonic Series

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
  • So uh, I figure this is the right place to put it. Uh. I'm very, very passionate about the Sonic series. I absolutely love it. I love the older games, from the genesis up to Sonic Colours. I have a lot of Sonic games, mostly for the gamecube of course, and a couple wii games. It's my favorite game series. So, uh..some questions yes.

How do you feel about Sonic the Hedgehog and the game series?

What was your first Sonic game, if any?

Do you prefer the older games or the newer games? Why?

Who's your favorite Sonic character if you have any?

For me, I love the Sonic series and Sonic himself (even the comics) as stated above. My first Sonic game was Sonic Mega Collection or Sonic Adventure 2 I think? Either one of those. I personally prefer the older games because I feel the newer games lack what they had before. The stories are lackluster and graphics are mediocre at best. Plus I grew up with the older games, so of course nostalgia takes over as a bias. My favorite character is Shadow, personally. I loved him since I played him a bunch in Sonic Adventure 2 and his own game for gamecube. (still have it) and his sort of..'emo' personality drew me to him, I guess. He felt misunderstood I think, as I did growing up and I guess that also drew me to him.

So uh..answer the questions I guess and see what happens as a discussion :3c please be polite and respectful!

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Hmm, interesting. For me, Sonic was actually quite a big part of my childhood, not so much now but still something I remember and wouldn't mind playing again. I only remember playing two Sonic games, that being Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed both on the PS2. Why I still don't have them I have no idea, as I have no memory of selling or giving away any of my PS2 games.

Since I've only played two of the games I can't put an opinion on whether i like the older or newer games but I liked Sonic Unleashed the most. As far as I'm aware it was a new turn from the usual Sonic games and Werehog Sonic was awesome as hell.

My favourite character is probably Tails. He just looks cool and the fact that he could fly by using his tails like a helicopter was definitely something.

Years
  • How do you feel about Sonic the Hedgehog and the game series? I've always liked the Sonic series regardless of the accursed '06 and Sonic's VA changes, even though I didn't keep up due to not owning consoles.
    What was your first Sonic game, if any? Sonic Mega Collection for Xbox
    Do you prefer the older games or the newer games? Why? The newer ones. I believe Sonic and its mechanics work better in 3-D.
    Who's your favorite Sonic character if you have any? Silver

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • If anyone knows me from back when I joined this site, I was really, really big into the Sonic franchise as a whole (heck, just look at my previous usernames). This is the perfect thread for me to re-ignite those memories, so thank you @OP.

How do I feel about the series? While I haven't played a game in a while from it, it's been somewhat of a thing since I was about 7 or 8 years old, when I started properly playing games from the series. While my family had a Mega Drive back in the day, I was way too young to ever play it before we couldn't make it work. My first proper game would have to be Heroes, which while having its flaws, was quite the blast to play. Younger me was in love with it, until I discovered the older, original trilogy of Sonic games. What a good time those were...though, I was really bad at them. Then came Unleashed and Generations, which I fell for as well. Generations is still my favourite game of the bunch, because it combined the classic sidescroller playstyle of old with the modern, "gotta go fast" style of the new age.

...Oh jeez, I didn't expect to write that much. My favourite character has to be...nngh, that's actually a really difficult question. I guess Shadow has some neat shoes, and my favourite colour is red? I dunno. Thanks for this again, OP!

Years
  • How do you feel about Sonic the Hedgehog and the game series?
    Sonic the Hedgehog is okay, but I wouldn't call it my favorite plat-former of all time, though. Gotta grab them rings. I actually remember this sweepstakes:
    Spoiler:

Hmm. Sonic the Hedgehog. The first one. The Green Plains one.

I've never actually been a huge fan of Sonic, but I think I prefer the older games to the newer ones. They got a bit... ugh. Shadow. With a gun. Barf.

Metal Sonic. I've always liked evil characters and evil robot clones are no exception. That and Metal Overlord...

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years

I really like Sonic games! :) I played since I was a little girl, it's been a while since I haven't played but these games are still special for me and as much as I don't have time to play anything right now, some sonic games are in my radar for my next games to play! Especially since I found my old Sonic's computer CD's hehe.

Sonic and Knuckles! It was the first one I've played but I got it in the same time as Sonic 1 and 2 so I guess all 3 games where my first game!

Old!
    1. The character's designs.
    2. I just prefer 2D games. That's goes for Pokemon and Harvest moon too (my favorite series). The only exception is Zelda. So yeah, Sonic in 2D is better.
    Strangely my favorite Sonic game is Unleashed, a 3D game... I really like Dr Robotnik mean beans machine and Sonic racing too!

Knuckles :) I loved his ability in Sonic and Knuckles. I did loved the was he looks too. I write this past tens because....... well, they changed it a lot.. and it was way better before.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
    Years
    • Seen today
    The 3D ones are too fast for me and make my head hurt if I play for too long. I don't know how the new ones are. I've watched an LP of Colors and it was alright. However, I did end up buying Secret Rings for 5 dollars, and dropped it after 5 minutes cuz I thought it was hot trash. I really like the "old" ones, or at the ones that I played while growing up: Adventure DX, Heroes, and SA2B.

So my first system ended up being a Sega Genesis because a $20 system from a yard sale was all we could afford at that point. It came with Sonic the Hedgehog so I just played that.

Whatever SA2B counts as. Really liked the Chaos.

oh no

Years
    Growing up, Sonic was one of my favorite game and media franchises. I used to get up early to watch the cartoons (yes, including Sonic Underground), and they were my go-to games on the Sega. Even today, I'm still a fan of the franchise, though I'd say it's from a distance.

We got a Sega Genesis bundle with Sonic 2 when I was a kid, so not only was Sonic 2 my first game in the series, but I'm pretty sure it was the first video game I've played overall.

The 2D platformers are my favorite in the series- the newer games just never did it for me. Though I never got a chance to play the full game, that's why I enjoyed the classic parts of Sonic Generations, and why I'm looking forward to Sonic Mania coming out next year.

Tails has always been my favorite from early on. Even when I play some of the older games with the option, I always pick Tails over the other characters.

Years
    I didn't really get into the series until around 2007, but I've enjoyed my experience with the games, despite the many subpar entries in the series (most of the 3D games). I'm really looking forward to future games, and I'm confident that Sega can turn the series around and have it be enjoyable for everyone.

My first Sonic game was Sonic Heroes for PS2. I was, of course, aware of Sonic before I played it, but this was the first actual Sonic game I owned. At this point I thought that the 2D Sonic games were a gross relic of the past and that 3D games were the bright future of the series.

Oh I definitely prefer the older games. Everything up to and including Sonic Adventure 2 is pretty nice in my book. The newer games seem to lose a lot of that fun platform-y feel to them. And the speed is a little janky in some of them.

Espio! I think his design and characterization is pretty cool. Although he's a relatively obscure character compared to the 'main' cast of characters, he's pretty rockin imo. Team Chaotix in generally is pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Fast the Sonic Hog is my favorite pokemon. he is a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything. I've played since Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and I think that it is a solid series that has been going through a hype-hope-fail cycle for a while. They do still make pretty playable ones occasionally.
    Sonic 2 on the Sega Genesis. I never actually owned a Genesis myself, but the game is pretty memorable overall.
    I like the Sonic Adventure games. Depending on who you ask, that either happened in the stone age or yesterday. I would lean towards older, as Sonic 2, and Sonic 3/Knuckles are pretty good games.
    Shadowbecause of his ruthless "get it done at any cost" attitude and for maximum edgelord points. Slightly slower Sonic with improved handling and teleportation is not a bad gig to have.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday

I still like him as a character, but the games have mostly been trash since the Dreamcast. Generations was pretty playable though.

Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega MegaDrive

Absolutely the older games. The level of polish is so much higher. Sonic Adventure 1/2 were a turning point for the series where hammed writing overtook the need for good game mechanics and it's pretty much gotten much worse from here. Don't get me wrong, I like SA1 and SA2, but that's the point the series started to decline.

Tails, but from the Megadrive era

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
    I only find myself enjoying certain eras of the games. Basically Sonic 1 to Sonic R, and from Sonic Unleashed to Generations (or All-Stars Racing Transformed if you can count it.) With the exception of the Advance trilogy and the Rush games, I don't like anything in between those eras.

To my memories, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the genesis. My cousins had it, so when I was at their house I'd end up playing it.

Definitely older. 3D games in the Sonic franchise have always been very hit or miss, while the older games have been consistent in quality (even if it is essentially a slightly modified engine every single time.)

I'd probably have to say Blaze. Even though Sonic Team has always had no clue where they wanted to put her in the canon.

Back