• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atmosphere

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • The Fallout games in particular especially the older titles, and of course New Vegas.

These games made me feel that I'm in the post-apocalyptic wasteland that the game is set into, with the aesthetics, the music, and even much of the witty humor. Add with the whole Black and Grey morality dilemmas that is often faced by anyone, the wasteland atmosphere is perfectly portrayed in these games. Playing the Fallout games and its amazing atmosphere not only made me feel more immersed in the game I'm playing, but I also gave a damn to the characters in the said game. I felt that whatever decisions i made would have repercussions that i would make me like or hate myself for those consequences.

The games I highly recommend for anyone to dwell upon are:
    Fallout 1 and 2
    Fallout New Vegas
    = With all due respect to Fallout 3 and 4, i always thought that these particular titles were better written than FO3 and 4. I really do give my hats off to New Vegas as the first person perspective really does make me feel that I'm the post-apocalyptic wild west in the future of 20xx, and add to the rather amazing music, story, writing, and even the delicious dose of graphic violence that blends everything together like a well prepared dish.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Hmmm.... both Metro games, the new mad max. These do real good at a crushing apocalypse feel. You feel you're part of a world trying to scratch out a living in a world that wants everyone dead.

Years
  • Limbo. The atmosphere is what made that game. Stark visuals, surreal environment, and a haunting, minimal soundtrack.

Fallout 4, too. I lose myself in the wasteland.

Arsenic

Years
  • I could never really get truly immersed in fallout. Partially to its silly nature, partially to my own view of it as a mod canvas currently.

Yukari

I could never really get truly immersed in fallout. Partially to its silly nature, partially to my own view of it as a mod canvas currently.
    I really don't think that it was meant to capture that kind of atmosphere anyway. I mean: If you want a dark, gritty, post-apocalyptic game then Metro: Last Light and 2033 are much better options in that respect. Fallout always felt like it was trying to have fun with the concept of a post-apocalyptic world.

Years
  • Dead Space. The dark and claustrophobic spaces within the USG Ishimura are some of the more dark and fearsome in game history. There have been other games that have done a good job with jump scares, but Dead Space gives off an air of everything is off, everything is wrong, everything is horrifying. The atmosphere is organic and utterly disgusting in its execution. There aren't many sci-fi horror stories out there so Dead Space rides high up on the bar line.

Arsenic

Years
  • I really don't think that it was meant to capture that kind of atmosphere anyway. I mean: If you want a dark, gritty, post-apocalyptic game then Metro: Last Light and 2033 are much better options in that respect. Fallout always felt like it was trying to have fun with the concept of a post-apocalyptic world.

Exactly. If there was ever an open world metro game with the open-endness of fallout I don't think I'd touch fallout again. Metro's atmosphere is much better and the world in general much much more interesting...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Was playing The Long Dark earlier and I thought the atmosphere was fantastic - it's one of those survival games, but there are no monsters, no zombies, etc., just you vs. the harsh nature. And it does it very well, from the ambient noises to sound effects and environment; you feel so alone and cold in this isolated (but pretty) icy wasteland.

And in another sort of direction, Hotline Miami's atmosphere is great in a different sort of way. Diving into the game blind, it already pulls off the colourful, 80s vibe really well despite the simplicity of the art style, but as you learn more about your character's psyche and condition you appreciate how surreal the atmosphere is even more and how everything is presented. And the soundtrack is amazing.

Years
  • Yes!! You have good tastes, sir.

Thanks! Have you played their next game, Inside? It looks incredible! If you liked Limbo you might also like Bastion and Transistor by Supergiant. Very different tone, but they're both good, short games with cool worlds and atmospheres.

Speaking of atmospheric indie games, did anyone ever play DEFCON: Everybody Dies?

I have not but imma check this out now.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I love the visual and auditory art style in Don't Starve. Not only is the game super challenging and fun, but the art style compliments it so well. Great game, through and through.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • So I've been replaying Skyrim through the remastered version that was just released and oh my god, that game is aesthetically perfect. The scenic environment, the gorgeous landscapes, the amount of detail that was put into the game is remarkable when you really stop and think about it. Makes me really excited about Elder Scrolls VI, which please for the love of god don't fuck it up Bethesda - put some thought into it before pushing it out.

Years
  • So I've been replaying Skyrim through the remastered version that was just released and oh my god, that game is aesthetically perfect.

I mentioned Fallout 4 as one of my picks but Skyrim is right up there too. Bethesda absolutely excels at bringing you into a world. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim - each has been a triumph. The visuals, art style, and soundtrack (the soundtrack tho) form such a cohesive whole that I don't even care that the games are bugfests or that I never finish the main quest lines. They're still some of my favorite games ever.

Years
  • I have to say, I was expecting shed loads of horror/thriller games so good job!

This, this and this! I love the way that Dark Space generates its atmosphere; the fact that everything is off-kilter rather than just outright bad. It puts you constantly on edge and I know a few times I was thinking everything was clear and suddenly BLARHH enemies are here to rip me apart.

For me, Resident Evil 4 has a particular section in which the atmosphere is awful.

This is the section the fabled Regenerators/Iron Maidens live, in the military facility. It's the fact that everything is deathly quiet and you don't really encounter anything. Everything is narrow and all the corners seem to be placed so you can never see what's coming.

Then suddenly, noise. Shuffling. You can't see it yet but suddenly it's there. I have to say Capcom nailed the atmosphere in this section for sure.

The last Capcom game I bought was RE5. Too bad they turned their horror games into a kind of farce. Sorry to see that happen, but Dead Space 3 was a huge let down as well so there's that. I never really got into RE4 much sadly, but the only games from them I'll play now are classic Mega-Man titles.

Years
  • The first game that comes to mind when I think of atmosphere in video games is Journey. That game is straight up beautiful in every sense of the word. The gameplay is very simple and fluid, the world looks large and haunting, and the music evokes so many emotions. If you haven't checked out Journey I highly recommend you do so. It's one of those games that you don't really play for the gameplay, but for the atmosphere itself.

Arsenic

Years
  • Dear Esther is a good one swell. A lot of just walking but very atmospheric and a nice journey

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    A good piece of music can do wonders for atmosphere really

This one always gets me. It perfectly manages to embody the general feel of the Metroid Prime trilogy (though imo they lose it a little bit in Prime 3): it's creepy, but at the same time so intriguing. Phazon Mines, Dark Aether, and Phaaze were some of my favorite areas because of this feel.

Years
  • The first game that comes to mind when I think of atmosphere in video games is Journey. That game is straight up beautiful in every sense of the word. The gameplay is very simple and fluid, the world looks large and haunting, and the music evokes so many emotions. If you haven't checked out Journey I highly recommend you do so. It's one of those games that you don't really play for the gameplay, but for the atmosphere itself.

I have never played Journey but god I want to. It looks fantastic.

I'm also seconding Limbo, which truly is amazing.

Years
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Majority of the game was a landscape with every bright color under the sun and a bouncy song to go with it, but more somber levels had more muted shades of greys/browns and these kind of lamenting songs that pulled you into the moment.

Back