• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Masuda: The Reason Pikachu was chosen as Ash's starter

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    Even though the interview was last month, I only just saw this and wanted to share:

I think the biggest reason is that Pikachu was Ash's partner in the animated series, and that's probably what caused it to be such a success and endearing and widespread. But why was Pikachu chosen as the partner for Ash in the animated series? If you remember back in the original games, the first forest you go into, Pikachu was a very rare Pokemon there. It was a situation where, in places like an elementary school class, maybe two or three kids would have encountered Pikachu. The rest of them hadn't seen him before. It was a cute Pokemon, hard to get, and other students would wonder "How did you get that?" So Pikachu got a lot of buzz, but the internet wasn't around then like it is today; it had to spread by word of mouth. It was a rumored Pokemon that existed in this forest.

That was one of the reasons we chose it as the partner for Ash in the animated series. We wanted to feature it because of the rumors that spread about it. The guy who originally coded that part of the the forest, he liked Pikachu because it was a cute Pokemon. He just wanted to catch it for himself, so he made it very low encounter rate. Extremely rare.

Though I guess he wasn't always as cute as he is now [laughs]."

- Junchi Masuda

Source: Gamespot Interview

How does this make you feel? How does it differ or relate to any theories you had about why Pikachu was chosen as Ash's starter?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Interesting. I remember getting Pikachu in Red pretty much right away when I entered the forest but I have read before it's pretty hard to find. I also remember reading that Pikachu was chosen as the starter Pokemon for Ash because it was cute yellow which is a primary and easily recognizable color for children. Clefairy was the original choice but it was thought its pink color would turn off boy viewers.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
    Ahh the magic of rumors and word of mouth... Pikachu getting popular because of rumors will never happen nowadays... now that we have the internet spoiling everything from the stats to the catch rate before the game even officially comes out. *Sigh*

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    Hah, that's pretty interesting. I never had much trouble encountering a Pikachu in the originals or FR/LG, but I would of never guessed that was actually a big thing back then.

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
    That's sounds cool actually. Just imagine the developped going "Wow, I really like this pokemon. But, I want it to be rare when trading with friends... I know! I will simply make it appear less."

All of a sudden it gets rumors, and next thing you know, it's an icon known the world over, all by changing a little code.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Interesting how programmer bias was part of it, really xD

Back