• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you Like Lightning? ~FF discussion~

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
  • Recently while I was on vacation I realized something while talking to my old collage friends... while at a Starbucks inside a local mall I was told that Lighting was a popular character. This news rocked me to my core... I thought everyone hated Lighting but no... She beats out both Rinoa, Yuna easy, and surprisingly even Tifa as the most popular FF female character.

Now, I think lighting's pretty alright her design is cool, her tomboyish attitude is a bit of a turn on for me. And the super aggressive nature, where she things that all of her problems can be solved, by whacking the problem really hard with a sword. works for her as a character. She was an OK character in a series of bellow average games. Never would I have thought that she would beat out Yuna or Tifa on a popularity contest.

So I wan't to know. Do you Like Claire Farron? If so tell why. oh and would you take her over the other Females in FF.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Cracking open a cold one with the boys.

Lightning is ba3 for her own merits and definitely something of a memorable character in my book, even if the perceived negative characteristics and criticisms are in there.

Also not to mention, Lightning merch such as figurines are a must have

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I like her, not my favorite female of the series, but she seems more real than other FF characters. She's not overly optimistic or overly melodramatic, and her interactions with NPCs seems like how a normal person would interact with them. I just think the delivery could have been a bit less stale as she's off comes very boring. But hey, I only played the first game, which I wasn't a fan of, so I'm not sure how much her characters changes in the two other games. I always hear her referred to as female Cloud, but I'm not really seeing that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I like her, not my favorite female of the series, but she seems more real than other FF characters. She's not overly optimistic or overly melodramatic, and her interactions with NPCs seems like how a normal person would interact with them. I just think the delivery could have been a bit less stale as she's off comes very boring. But hey, I only played the first game, which I wasn't a fan of, so I'm not sure how much her characters changes in the two other games. I always hear her referred to as female Cloud, but I'm not really seeing that.

This, but I think she did have some melodramatic moments.

Years
  • Lightning is actually one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters, which I guess is a fairly unpopular thing to say. I originally only liked her for her character design, but as I played more of the XIII games I began to tolerate her personality more and more. The only similarity I find between her and Cloud is that they're both initially cold and grumpy, but that can be said for a lot of characters in the series. I did appreciate seeing a female character with a different personality than you normally see in video games, however.

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
    Years
  • Oh my god...A thread about Lightning...and a majority of people who posted here legit likes her?! I think I want to cry now...I honestly thought I was the only person who liked her. ;u;

Really, what a majority of things people have said here is basically what I think about Light. (I still haven't played all the games though...) In fact, if it weren't for me seeing her in a XIII-2 commercial on Youtube, I would have never decided to bother with the series in general. I really enjoyed the parts where she was with Hope (I luv you so much ma boy), cause there were a few things I was able to relate to. I would talk more, but I would be rambling if I did.

Overall, Lightning shall be my FF waifu forever....Oh and maybe Jihl too. I like evil characters.

Yukari

I like her design. She's even on a lanyard I bought to wear at work.

... That's it really. I think she has all the personality of cardboard. If you like her that's great and I wouldn't want to take that from you but I've seen the archetype done a lot better in other places. I don't hate her, or even dislike her, she's just kind of there to me.

Mikazuki

"Someday, I will..."
    Years
  • Lightning is bae for sure. She is reminiscent of Cloud for me, but female with pink hair. Definately my favorite FF character.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • http://steamcommunity.com/id/machomuu/recommended/345350/

I don't think there's much else to say. Admittedly, she was better in XIII if only because most of her preaching was left to text and there were other characters around that were basically as important as her so the game could divide its attention. Better doesn't mean too much here but I never really had much of a problem with her since I found her personality to be middling and, well, I like her designs.

Especially her Louis Vuitton design, which is headcanon.

The only problem I do have with her is that the devs have this hardon for her that doesn't seem to want to go away. So they keep throwing her at us. See, I like Lightning, I really do, but when I'm forced to see her over and over and over again and get to know her...less flattering characteristics and even less flattering writing, it definitely takes that opinion down a peg. It was alright in XIII, she was barely in XIII-2, she and Serah should've swapped roles in Lightning Returns (and hey, the game could've even kept the name), and she could've taken more of a backseat in Dissidia- although her clashing with the Hero of Light was oddly appropriate. Also the 120+ other properties she's in.

Square. Seriously. Chill.

Years
  • I really like XIII and XIII-2, so it stands to reason I would like its main character and I totally do. I can understand why some people wouldn't like her and claim she has no personality, but it's easier for me to identify as someone who is a bit reserved so I always liked her. Her character design is absolutely top notch as well, which might actually be one of the weaker points about the majority of the XIII main cast.

I do notice that a lot of Final Fantasy licensed products include her, perhaps too many products, but the strange thing is the XIII trilogy still hasn't been released as a remaster despite her apparent popularity. I've been waiting like four years to play Lightning Returns because it isn't on PS4, hopefully it's up next now that we have XII.

Back