• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3D Films

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
What do you all think of 3D films? Do you like the concept of them? Or do you find it pointless?

I myself hate 3D films, the glasses are so annoying and I don't really think its all that great.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I just honestly think it's being overused. Sure you can have that one movie like Avatar come out in 3D, but like every other movie I see is coming out in 3D. I don't mind the glasses, but the effect isn't even all that great in my opinion.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
If it is shot in 3D or is computer animation, then 3D is the way to go. I love the depth it adds

If it is a conversion, avoid it at all costs. Just makes stuff blurry and dark

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Only if it's being done right. Like Triforce said, if it's shot in 3D or it's 100% CGI then 3D works. But otherwise, films seem like the 3D is added in afterwards, and thus not creating that good of an effect.

Years
The thing with 3D is that it isn't even going to be relevant soon but we'll end up paying more to get into movies because of it. Soon enough 2D will be phased out and everything will be 3D but the prices won't change and we'll still be paying for it like it is still a novelty (which really is all it is, half the time too much effort is put into creating visually appealing 3D scenery and the story line is more or less forgotten). People will not want to pay for so much for something that isn't a novelty any more and won't go to see films in the theatre any more so the industry will suffer.

I would rather go to see a well put together 2D movie with good characters and a good plot than a shoddy 3D film that cost more. ESPECIALLY conversions of movies made for 2D *shudder

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
I think 3D is obnoxious, and that it adds nothing to the cinematic experience. I also think certain scenes that emphasizes the use of the 3D in the movie are cheesy...like how the monster pop-outs of the screen.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I don't mind it when it is actually done well - as in that it doesn't get in the way or is dead obvious that the movie has scenes saying 'look! THREEEE DEEEEEE' or scenes where it just plain hurts it. Say Toy Story 3 or HTTYD was pretty good with it imo. But I don't really feel inclined to watch a movie because it's in 3D or not, but rather decide on other merits.

Avatar was nice with the fact they did do a good job with it, but without it the movie's story itself, etc would have been kinda boring (too akin to other stories, etc), and I prefer movies where it doesn't need the 3D to carry it a large way into being entertaining.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm still in the grumpy old man stage where I find 3D anything to be kinda annoying, really. I feel like I'm too busy trying to force myself to appreciate the 3D (or, in some cases, trying to make it work - see the 3DS...) or to ignore the glasses which I'm not used to wearing. And I imagine the issue's even worse for people who already wear glasses and have to choose either being uncomfortable with two sets on, not seeing the content in 3D, or having the screen be blurred for them. It's just awkward and impractical and honestly I don't think it looks that much better... the 3D needs to be subtle imo to not look ridiculous but at the same time, a subtle change just isn't worth the awkwardness. I wish people could have just forgotten about 3D after Avatar happened and brought it back when it's actually practical.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
It's terrible that we're made to pay an extra $3 to go see a movie in 3D when it adds absolutely nothing to the experience. I'd personally rather the cinema left the 3D out and made its staff actually clean the cinema. I'd gladly pay an extra $3 for that.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
When the movie is computer made or CGI, I don't mind 3D. If it's originally a 2D movie switched to 3D, It won't look as good. Plus we pay 3$ extra just to see it in 3D. I rather see a 2D movie than 3D. I wouldn't pay 3$ extra and in the end i end up disliking the movie. 3$ in the drain.

Years
I think 3D movies are overrated, and I agree with most of Andy's post.

Even with an extra $3, 3D adds nothing to the experience and those 3D glasses really bother my face. No wonder I don't go to the cinema much anymore, cos 3D movies ruined it for me. The only good movie worth watching in 3D was Avatar, but it was way too long and I feel asleep while watching it.

Years
3D is still horribly bad in my opinion.
About 6-8 years ago, it was in the cinemas, then died quickly. Now it is back with a bit more technology, but cinema '3D' is just bad. :/

I don't see the real point in it, I just want to watch a film and not have it jump at my face to make me feel more 'involved'.​

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I love 3D movies when they're done well, but unfortunately that doesn't often seem to be the case and we're normally stuck spending an extra £3 on some rubbishy effects added in as a last minute detail. I have no problem with more movies becoming 3D since that means more movies are using 3D well, so I'm glad to see that more and more movies are using 3D nowadays, but there's still a lot of work to be done before it'll actually bring the feeling of being involved in the movie as 3D intends to replicate.

Years
I'm not a fan of 3D. If it worked well, I'd be down for it. But it doesn't really work that well. It's never really surprising, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in comparison to the 2D version. Plus, some of the glasses give me a headache, which is NOT a reason I go to the movies. :P

Avatar was the one that did it best, but that movie was ALL about the effects, like a modern day Star Wars minus all the originality and story. (so not worth watching again to me, I'd rather just watch Pocahontas :P) Even so, the 3D wasn't great enough to change my mind about it, and until we get some virtual reality sword art online stuff (or just more immersive) I'll stick to my 2 dimensions. :D

Years
I hate 3D movies, but I get headaches from them really easily. If that wasn't an issue, I still would hate them. It's not noticeable half the time for me anyway, and when I do notice it, it never adds anything except for that mandatory "LOOK THIS OBJECT IS IN THREE DIMENSIONS!!!!!1" shot.

Guest123_x1

I'm not really too crazy about 3D cinema. I've only seen one movie in 3D in the theater: Toy Story 3. Although I really enjoyed that movie, the 3D effect didn't really add too much to the fun, not to mention the glasses made everything slightly darker. It would've been better, IMO, if I had been able to see it in 2D (which wasn't available at the time I went to see it.)

Last edited:

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Well the glasses are annoying, and the movies kind of give me a headache. I hate that you can't take off the glasses, otherwise the screen is a mess.

Also, apparently you need decent depth perception to view 3D movies properly... and I don't really have good depth perception LOL

Valvatorez

Prinny Instructor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I've never really seen the point of 3D, and since it costs more to see a 3D film than a 2D one, it doesn't really attract me all that much. I've only seen one film in 3D and, whilst, didn't have an issue with the glasses (they went on quite comfortably over my own...although it felt weird wearing two pairs of glasses) I stopped noticing it after the first ten minutes of the film; it didn't really add anything to the experience.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
The technology of 3D films is way behind the concept. That's the problem. You need to wear black glasses while watching a movie. That's like the equivalent of going into a sauna fully clothed. It is really counter productive. The glasses decrease 30% of the brightness, not to mention that you're looking through plastic, so the quality of the screen resolution is also decreased.

As you can see, I'm not a fan of them. 3D suits some films, when it was done well, such as Avatar. I also agree that it should primarily just be used with animation and some films are exceptions when they have relevant cgi. But overall it's a hindrance on my experience, not a positive. The Adventures of TinTin was delayed 3 years while they worked on the 3D. Meaning the film actually took 6 years instead of 3, due to an effect I didn't even end up seeing. Generally if there is a 2D option I go for that.

I would be happy enough to go to a 3D film if I oils take my glasses off and watch the movie without them, but of course the necessary effect needed for 3D makes it so that your 2D experience is quote unwatchable, and 3D is forced on you. If this was always an optional experience while watching the movie, and the prices were the same, I would be happy. But having two different showings for different dimensions is really backward in my opinion. I feel 3D technology is still 5 or 6 years behind te ideals.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I don't really like the use of 3D even when the film in question was designed for it in the first place. Indeed, if given the option, I'll always choose a 2D showing of a film. For one, it's cheaper; going to the cinema is expensive enough as it is, so to spend another £2+ for the 'privilege' of putting glasses on top of my own is not an experience I wish to have. As well as this, even without accounting for any wild and wacky effects, I really don't like how much darker the screen becomes as a result of the 3D technology. The last film I saw in 3D was Toy Story 3, but I had the advantage of seeing that in 2D beforehand, and the drop in image quality was just astounding. It was that experience that put me off 3D, for the most part.

There are, of course, exceptions. The best use of 3D that I've seen has to be Pina, a German documentary film about experimental dance choreographer Pina Bausch. It's only in this film that I've seen 3D used to truly immerse the audience in the film, and it makes the breathtaking dance sequences come alive in a way that you do actually feel like you're watching them on a stage, instead of in front of a screen.

But that's the exception that sort of proves the rule in many ways. I'm very pessimistic when it comes to 3D technology, preferring stuff like IMAX for the 'immersive experience' portrayed by the film-makers who choose/are forced to use it.

Back