• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

11wildy

Me!
Years
You could do gen 7 by catching 6 mons and wonder trading them. What you get is your new team! (Or 5 if you want to keep your starter)

If any of them are too high level, box them until they are fair to use or wonder trade again

Years
Are there any cool challenge runs I should do? I want something that is difficult but not too difficult. I don't like the theme of a pokemon dies permanently. Every time I try a Nuzlocke of some sort, my best pokemon ends up dying and I get salty and just continue on, still using that dead pokemon. Something that can make the game interesting and mixes things up a bit. I would do a randomizer but gens 4 and 5 I have already done multiple times and have gotten bored of them. I would love to do a randomized gen 6 or 7 game, alongside some sort of challenge but it's just too hard to randomize.
If you aren't sure what challenge to play, I recommend checking up Bingo Challenge, where you'll get a bingo card filled with various challenges. Those challenges are very beginner's friendly and have you usually put together a team based on some theme.

Other very popular non-Nuzlocke challenge is Time Warp, where your types to choose from are limited based on time periods like Egyptian Era, Ancient Rome, The Post- Apocalyptic Future and more.

Another one is called Trainer Personality Examination, where you'll be assigned 3 Pokémon and few missions based on a survey.

Then there are many challenges based on some TV shows like Alfheim Online or Steven Universe.

There are also few challenges created when some Pokémon game were announced like Let's GO or Galar Football Championship. Those take some aspect of new games and put them in older titles.

I hope you'll find challenge best suited for you and have fun.

Years
You could do gen 7 by catching 6 mons and wonder trading them. What you get is your new team! (Or 5 if you want to keep your starter)

If any of them are too high level, box them until they are fair to use or wonder trade again

I would do this but I use an emulator and they don't connect to the internet in-game. Also, I'm not willing to delete my save file on my game cartridge, since I don't have Pokemon Bank and I have some gift pokemon on it.
If you aren't sure what challenge to play, I recommend checking up Bingo Challenge, where you'll get a bingo card filled with various challenges. Those challenges are very beginner's friendly and have you usually put together a team based on some theme.

Other very popular non-Nuzlocke challenge is Time Warp, where your types to choose from are limited based on time periods like Egyptian Era, Ancient Rome, The Post- Apocalyptic Future and more.

Another one is called Trainer Personality Examination, where you'll be assigned 3 Pokémon and few missions based on a survey.

Then there are many challenges based on some TV shows like Alfheim Online or Steven Universe.

There are also few challenges created when some Pokémon game were announced like Let's GO or Galar Football Championship. Those take some aspect of new games and put them in older titles.

I hope you'll find challenge best suited for you and have fun.

Honestly, I would love to do the Bingo Challenge, but I'm just worried that I'll get something too hard or I would start doing a challenge that seems easy, but turns out to be really difficult and I just give up.

I'm actually almost finished with the Time Era challenge (Pirate Golden Age in OR). The reason I didn't sign up since I don't like to keep a log of everything I do. Same thing with the Trainer Personality Exam.

Alfheim Online and Steven Universe challenges seem interesting, and I like how ALO challenge has a small format for updates instead of making you write a whole chapter for each badge.

Let's GO seems like it restricts your team too much. Galar Football seems really cool. I'll probably sign up soon.

Thanks!

Years
Here's a Challenge,
Beat Gen 1 with a single Mewtwo, but it can only use Psywave (A move that can be powerful, but is mostly unreliable)

Years
Fair Point. I'm more curious of how chaotically frustrating the run would be. It'd be fun to see Pikaspray or Mah-Dry-Bread do it, but I wouldn't wanna try lol

Years
I don't know if anyone is willing to commit to reviving something like this, but this Egg Salad was by far my favorite challenge: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=255975

tldr: one person or the previous person creates 6 eggs for someone, and there is a condition to each of the 6 team members.
That surely sounds interesting. I think it might work with several people distributing eggs, so it's not so huge commitment for one person.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2020
That surely sounds interesting. I think it might work with several people distributing eggs, so it's not so huge commitment for one person.

I agree, it would have to be a group of people. It was a fun challenge, but I dont know how feasible it would be to get a group of people

Years
So I just completed a Nuzlocke on White today, and that had me wondering, with certain games having the hyper foes everyone knows are tough, like Cynthia's Garchomp and Ghetsis' Hydreigon (in BW, of course). They're very strong and have seen quite a few adventures denied completion at those hands. So, for those who HAVE completed Nuzlockes or Wedlockes in these games, I'm curious - how did you defeat them?

In the White Nuzlocke in question, I had Umbridge, my Reuniclus, burn his Cofagrigus' Full Restore after a critical hit Psychic got him to 1 HP, and weaken him again before I brought in Rocket, my Haxorus, who got in a Dragon Dance with ease as I gave it a Pecha Berry to say screw you to his Toxic, then picked him off. Hydreigon came next and was promptly destroyed. I was on Set mode with three healing items per battle.

In my Platinum Nuzlocke I'm also doing, I have eight Pokémon in rotation, but none of them have a particular advantage for Garchomp. Maybe I'll end up pulling something out by then. I haven't had a death since Jupiter which is pretty amazing really.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i haven't done a standard challenge in so long, i can hardly remember the strategies i put forward in fighting those mega-trainers. i haven't been playing pokemon as regularly as i did in years prior, but i have started to implement some levels of challenge into my standard gameplay, like no items in battle.

also this year i've been watching youtubers like johnstone and mah-dry-bread take on challenges. and i'm like man that's so wild. i've been doing pokemon challenges just on my own since i was a kid, i coulda made some videos??? ahaha. i have some old videos of me doing the favorites challenge in black that are probably still on youtube but listed privately. and hardly even challenges bc i know my ass was using items. but still, it's neat to see challenges other than the nuzlocke get some play, like professor oak's challenge, solo runs, traded pokemon only, etc. i really enjoy that. and watching other people do it. makes me want to get back to the grind but you know, free time ain't so easy to come by anymore.

Years
First of all, I wanna say this is not an original idea

With that out of the way, I'm surprised to see this not been suggested before (I checked through just to make sure) but, this idea is a Pokemon Draft Challenge.

If any of you are familiar with Fire Emblem drafts, a Pokemon Draft is essentially the same thing but with a different game. This is a group challenge in a sense, ideally you'd want at least 4 players (no more than 6, maybe 8 for games with a larger Pokedex like X/Y) who are COMMITTED to finishing the run. The aim is to be strategic about your Pokemon choices to either benefit yourself or to mess with your opponents (for example, in a game like Black/White 1, you could draft all the Water-types to mess up the other players due to the limited number of them). As the "cream of the crop" Pokemon start to get drafted, you will have to make new strategies and integrate the lesser-viable options into your teams.

The drafting process almost always follows the snake draft format, which is traditionally used in like fantasy sports leagues. How a snake draft goes is like...
You have 5 People, let's name them Person A - E,
  • Person A drafts Charmander first (thus making Charmander unusable for the other 4 players), and the drafting goes in order to until Person E
  • The order then reverses for Round 2, where Person E will draft first, while Person A will draft last (to give equal opportunity for those in the last few slots to not be stuck with a disadvantage)
  • For Round 3, Person A will draft 2 Pokemon because they will end Round 2 and start Round 3 of drafting (likewise Person E will draft 2 Pokemon during Round 4)
  • Cycle repeats until you hit a cap (usually around 8-10 mons per person depending on the game) which then concludes the drafting process
https://www.playdailyfantasysports.com/what-is-a-snake-draft/ this website breaks it down more if you're still confused on what a snake draft is.

The drafting process should be done in a private group chat (whether through Discord or the forums) to avoid flooding. Ideally, you would all coordinate timezones and draft at the same time but, life's not perfect and you could give each player a 24 hour notice to draft a Pokemon or else they'll just get a random Pokemon (for that round only). The main thread could pose as a sign up thread for groups (can also have free agents sign up where they are interested but don't have a group yet) and a place where people can log their runs if they want to.

General rules of a draft are usually...
  • Everyone plays the same game, groups should come to a consensus on what game they plan on drafting
  • Starter is free (though you can put the starters into the drafting pool and force people to draft early game Pokemon)
  • If the starter is not free, then players can use a starter (for Pokemon XD, Teddiursa) until they can catch their earliest available Pokemon
  • Any Pokemon a player has drafted will be unusable for everyone else
  • Any leftover/undrafted Pokemon will be banned from being used
  • The goal is to beat the Champion, Red in HGSS/GSC, Greevil in XD, Agnol/Evice in Colosseum
  • Optional! SOYO drafts (Screw Over Your Opponent) are basically the same thing but, you draft for the player in front/behind you with the goal of making it harder for them to complete the game (it's fun in a game like Colosseum where like 75% of the available Pokemon aren't great to begin with)
This can be a competitive challenge, ideally the winner of the group will be the one with the lowest play time (though you could do stuff like least amount of party KOs as well but, that'll be annoying to keep track). However, I have been apart of casual drafts where the aim is just for players to use Pokemon they would almost never use, without the random nature of like a Scramble challenge since players have some agency over their choices.

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED Talk \(ㆁヮㆁ✿) (not really suggesting it, just wanna see how much traction/discussion it'll get)

Last edited:
Years
People have probably done this before, but this is the Mono-Ability Challenge! The rules would be simple-you can only use Pokémon that can legally have a certain ability of your choice! (Or, you could randomize it!) Bulbapedia has a multitude of ability pages. If you want to make it slightly harder, you could also have to breed/catch multiple of the same Pokemon until it has the ability you want. The goal, of course, is to finish the game.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
above post reminds me of the mono-species challenge...i did it in pearl with all bibarels. it was actually really fun and i don't tolerate bibarel hate lol.

so hey y'all consider pokedex completion in old games a challenge bc i'm gonna tackle emerald soon lol granted i have a huge head start in that emerald is my dumping grounds for when i complete gen 3 games so i have a decade's worth of pokemon from RSE/FRLG/Colo/XD just chillin out together there. but i know there are going to be a lot of gaps so it will still prove fun to take on. i don't know what i'm going to do about deoxys, mew, and celebi though. guess i'll die. shrug

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
Plz suggest a challenge other than nuzelocke or any variant

Maybe a Monotype or Monocolor challenge? Only allows you to use a few Pokémon, but those are yours to keep until the end of the game! And I guess the same could be said about a Solo run :)
Something you could try may also be... completing a run without ever battling wild Pokémon for levels! I remember doing that but it's been a while since the last time I tried 🙃

btw: I see this is your only post, so here's a friendly reminder to introduce yourself in Meet & Greet <3

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Plz suggest a challenge other than nuzelocke or any variant

try a random challenge. make it harder by including NFE pokemon in the shuffle. you could also try limiting yourself like. each pokemon you catch can only gain a max of 20 levels, similar to the last event we had here. or you could do some weird shit like a challenge where u get to pick your team, but your movesets are randomized and you have to work with what you get.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2021
Hey guys

I've never done a soul link before and wanted to find someone to do one with (perhaps BW2 or HG). I'm not the most experienced nuzlocker but I know what I'm doing, just want someone who's down for a laugh and a good time. We can screen share on discord and laugh (or cry) at our failures. I'm 22 from England add me if you're interested :)

Discord = Temporal#9192

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Curious if this sounds like a good idea:

The Tri-Starter Challenge
-You must complete one game three different times.
-You must use one starter per run
-No using the same starter in different runs
-You cannot use any pokemon more than once between runs. IE If you use raticate in one run, you cannot use it in another.

My Preferred Rules:
-Set Battle Type
-No using items in battle besides pokeballs

Back