• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shiny Gold!

Years
Hacksrepairman thank you again for your work! This game is awesome, very smooth to play and not as hard as e.g. Liquid Crystal. So you can just go around and enjoy the game and the story without heavy grinding.

I see you can't fly to lake of rage, is it a bug/miss or state of the art? I know it is not the intention of the creator (zel), but I would love physical/special split and b/w repel system here. There are some modern aspects in hacks like Ash Gray oder Liquid Crystal that would make Shiny Gold better playable without destroying the basic idea of the hack from zel. But I know also that this is not your intention when you update old hacks!

All in oll - Shiny Gold is very old, but still one of the greatest hacks I've ever played - just classy, a kind of heart gold for GBA! :)

Years
Hey guys can i ask how to trade Pokemon from this game to the other Pokemon games like Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald. I know that you must have Prof. Oak's permission to do it, but it seems I can't get Prof Oak to give me permission, is there anyway to trade to other games?

Note: I already finish the main story and have already beaten Red and I'm using MyBoy to trade Pokemon using the link cable support they have

Years
Shound work with VBAlink afaik, I've done this in past with a OEM FireRed to evolve Golem. At this time I didn't know that they evolve at around lv.42. :-)

Years
I found out the same, also I can't get Regirock and Rayquaza, only Mewtwo is available. And there is also a bug with Lavender Town Pokemon Center, the game freezes after the event in Rock Tunnel.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2021
You can get Silver Wing in Pewter City, just like original G/S/C. Those legendary Pokemon can be caught after you beat Red. As for that fishy rock, I have no idea about what Zel was planning to do with it. I always add legendary Pokemon events to make full use those fishy rock things, but that one is different, if I do something to that one, then some random events will be damaged. This happens a lot in this hack. so I decided to not to touch it.

Sorry, but I'm not planning to do that, because Zel changed the music before even though the changed music may not be the actual GSC remix music. I want to keep the original flavor of these old hacks, so I never change things which were done by the original creator(Except for things which may cause glitches/things like "end of beta").

I checked out the whole game again and found that there was something wrong with the wild Pokemon encounter table. You may encounter ???????????? Pokemon in the Ruins of Alph(While fishing with Super Rod) and Route 28, so I fixed it. The old link still works:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips/file

Everything was kewl till I had to face Red: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kporm144kzp4r/ (don't mute or ban me, the link show two files to run a video on vba-m because it doesn't record videos in another format), check it out to nerf Red team or make some available spots to grind exp then facing him lighter. Btw once u download the files, open the vba-m emulator then click on File and Play, once u're there, u can pick the file to play the video and watching.

I found out the same, also I can't get Regirock and Rayquaza, only Mewtwo is available. And there is also a bug with Lavender Town Pokemon Center, the game freezes after the event in Rock Tunnel.

When my pkmn used teleport to Mahogany, it ends up in like those attachment show. Also Idk y I can't battle Rival in DD (after beating Red and I forgot wut it said before it showes on the image), I got the ticket (from attachment also) from an oldman in Pewter city, where it suppose to be found the Silver wing, now Idk if going to Whirl island to check it out if it'll trigger Lugia or waiting for response if anyone know how to use it. I might go l8r to see it since Regirock or Rayquaza didn't trigger for me also, just got a Timid Mewtwo with awesome stats (after failing to catch it 19 times due critical hits to it mostly).

I like how Lavender town glitch so bad, maybe u need to get first the poke flaute ("radio exp card") before healing there and u could void the fun glitch that force u to restart, I didn't I could get Celebi till I used phone to call prof Elm, and talked to me to get him the GS ball from SS Anne 2, I even didn't have or knowing about it, so I took the SS Anne "2" and let the glitch begin, the whole event triggered and if u talk to the npc that showes up there to ur eyes but they shouldn't be there, it get freezes, so I manage to pass the whole thing by just voiding these stuff (just to get a modest aggron), I'm glad I could use a bike to pass that place, cuz walking and running, ew. BTW, anyone here got something from the 'White ball game' from radio Goldenrod tower, cuz I spent my savings (all) trying, ofc I saved up it first, and lost lotta of time cuz this thing didn't work the autofire. It sux but it has to be that way, just anyone tell me wut's the drop from winning there. I might try again (nah)

Attachments

• ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5_3.png
    ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5_3.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5_4.png
    ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5_4.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 20
  • ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5_5.png
    ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5_5.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024

All the glitches you mentioned should be fixed now.

Everything was kewl till I had to face Red: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kporm144kzp4r/ (don't mute or ban me, the link show two files to run a video on vba-m because it doesn't record videos in another format), check it out to nerf Red team or make some available spots to grind exp then facing him lighter. Btw once u download the files, open the vba-m emulator then click on File and Play, once u're there, u can pick the file to play the video and watching.

When my pkmn used teleport to Mahogany, it ends up in like those attachment show. Also Idk y I can't battle Rival in DD (after beating Red and I forgot wut it said before it showes on the image), I got the ticket (from attachment also) from an oldman in Pewter city, where it suppose to be found the Silver wing, now Idk if going to Whirl island to check it out if it'll trigger Lugia or waiting for response if anyone know how to use it. I might go l8r to see it since Regirock or Rayquaza didn't trigger for me also, just got a Timid Mewtwo with awesome stats (after failing to catch it 19 times due critical hits to it mostly).

I like how Lavender town glitch so bad, maybe u need to get first the poke flaute ("radio exp card") before healing there and u could void the fun glitch that force u to restart, I didn't I could get Celebi till I used phone to call prof Elm, and talked to me to get him the GS ball from SS Anne 2, I even didn't have or knowing about it, so I took the SS Anne "2" and let the glitch begin, the whole event triggered and if u talk to the npc that showes up there to ur eyes but they shouldn't be there, it get freezes, so I manage to pass the whole thing by just voiding these stuff (just to get a modest aggron), I'm glad I could use a bike to pass that place, cuz walking and running, ew. BTW, anyone here got something from the 'White ball game' from radio Goldenrod tower, cuz I spent my savings (all) trying, ofc I saved up it first, and lost lotta of time cuz this thing didn't work the autofire. It sux but it has to be that way, just anyone tell me wut's the drop from winning there. I might try again (nah)

That's strange, some of the glitches you have mentioned didn't happen to me. So I have no idea about how to fix them, sorry.

I still remember how much I liked this game. This is why I decided to make a fixed version of this hack which contains a whole Kanto Region. I know someone else tried to do the same thing, but all of them tried to change the original things in this hack. This makes me think I should make a fixed version in which all the creators' ideas are perfectly preserved. So, here it is. A faithfully fixed Pokemon Shiny Gold Beta5.
The following glitches are fixed:
A small cave in Ice Path is glitched.
The glitched border tiles of Route 2.
You can still enter Safari Zone even though you lost your Pokemon.
The following things are added by me:
Gold/Silver style Pewter City, Route 3, Mt. Moon, Vermilion City, Route 1, Pallet Town, Route 21, Cinnabar Island, Route 20, Route 19.
Trainer Tower, secret areas where you can catch Mewtwo, Rayquazza and Regirock after Red is defeated. (All these things are based on the creator's original map.)
Rival's events in Mt. Moon, Indigo Plateau and Dragon's Den.
Some screenshots:
TmTk7GF.png

Here's the download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips

In the previous patch, some players may not be able to catch Rayquaza and Regirock, and it's possible that you can't get Silver Wing. And there is a chance you game freezes when you heal your Pokemon in Lavender Town. All these things should be fixed in the newest patch, the old link still works:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips/file

Years
I can only say this one more time - thank you again a lot!

This game is so great, feels like "vanilla" gold for GBA. Some added features, but not as crazy as liquid crystal. It is something between original gold and heart gold, not too hard and perfect for nuzlockes! :-)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 19, 2021
In the previous patch, some players may not be able to catch Rayquaza and Regirock, and it's possible that you can't get Silver Wing. And there is a chance you game freezes when you heal your Pokemon in Lavender Town. All these things should be fixed in the newest patch, the old link still works:
For some reason this patch soesn't work for me - when I try to load it I get error beeps and nothing else. Tried on several emulators with several roms - problem stays. Is there any specific patch requirements here? Like program used or special rom release?

++++++

Nevermind, look like fiirst time patch itself was corrupted

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 23, 2019
So I've been playing ultra shiny gold sigma for a bit now, made it quite a ways through kanto and finally caught celebi. But recently I've been getting into breeding my pokemon because I wanted a decent froakie to raise.

Well at some point I decided to breed my gardevoir and everytime he lays an egg it hatches into a mega gardevoir, which sounded cool at first, but then I realized that I won't be getting the stat boosts from evolution. You get huge boosts to your stats when you evolve your pokemon so starting as a mega form Pokemon it's not going to grow to be as strong as the gardevoir I already have (also as a side note, a few bad eggs appeared in my PC and I have no idea what caused them. But I was uh, pretty shaken up. Luckily it allowed me to release them with no problem.)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 19, 2021
So I've been playing ultra shiny gold sigma for a bit now, made it quite a ways through kanto and finally caught celebi. But recently I've been getting into breeding my pokemon because I wanted a decent froakie to raise.

Well at some point I decided to breed my gardevoir and everytime he lays an egg it hatches into a mega gardevoir, which sounded cool at first, but then I realized that I won't be getting the stat boosts from evolution. You get huge boosts to your stats when you evolve your pokemon so starting as a mega form Pokemon it's not going to grow to be as strong as the gardevoir I already have (also as a side note, a few bad eggs appeared in my PC and I have no idea what caused them. But I was uh, pretty shaken up. Luckily it allowed me to release them with no problem.)

This thread is for standart Shiny Gold made by Zel. Ultra Shiny GOld Sigma is seperate hack and unsupported here(and on this forum at all afaik since it doen't have Zel permission to edit his work)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I still remember how much I liked this game. This is why I decided to make a fixed version of this hack which contains a whole Kanto Region. I know someone else tried to do the same thing, but all of them tried to change the original things in this hack. This makes me think I should make a fixed version in which all the creators' ideas are perfectly preserved. So, here it is. A faithfully fixed Pokemon Shiny Gold Beta5.
The following glitches are fixed:
A small cave in Ice Path is glitched.
The glitched border tiles of Route 2.
You can still enter Safari Zone even though you lost your Pokemon.
The following things are added by me:
Gold/Silver style Pewter City, Route 3, Mt. Moon, Vermilion City, Route 1, Pallet Town, Route 21, Cinnabar Island, Route 20, Route 19.
Trainer Tower, secret areas where you can catch Mewtwo, Rayquazza and Regirock after Red is defeated. (All these things are based on the creator's original map.)
Rival's events in Mt. Moon, Indigo Plateau and Dragon's Den.
Some screenshots:
TmTk7GF.png

Here's the download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips
Jiangzhengwenjzw helped me to apply JPAN's save patch to this hack. Now all flags and vars should be safe, which means you may not see any bad eggs in the PC anymore. However, if your save file is from the older version, then don't update it, because this update may not be safe for old save files.
The old download link still works:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips/file

Last edited:
Years
Dude, you just made my dreams real, the first hack that I played was pokémon Shiny Gold, I got frustrated when i discovered that the game was incomplete, sure, Liquid Crystal and others... But i just wanted to play a simple hack remake of gold and silver, thnks.

jiangzhengwenjzw

now working on katam
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Jiangzhengwenjzw helped me to apply JPAN's save patch to this hack. Now all flags and vars should be safe, which means you may not see any bad eggs in the PC anymore. However, if your save file is from the older version, then don't update it, because this update may not be safe for old save files.
The old download link still works:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips/file

In case someone wants to contribute:

Technical details for this update:

At first the hack works on JPAN's save block recycle.

This hack is to solve flag/var abuse problem in shiny gold. A wide range of variables/flags are used and many are not safe, so I made a small routine. For flags it reads in sequence from 0x203C000. And for vars, it maintains a global u32 variable at 0x203C324 to record the number of current tracked variables in the array at 0x203C328.

Memory Layout for variables:
5uD58x9.jpg

Black is the global u32 counter variable, red is currently tracked var name, and green is the corresponding var value. The array grows when a new variable (do a linear scan in the array to find if it's already tracked) is found.

The routine only handles flag No. [0x900, 0x2000) and var No. [0x4100, 0x8000). Otherwise it's handled with vanilla logic in-game.

Source code (in armips syntax):
Code:
.gba
.thumb
.open "pokeshinygold.gba", 0x8000000

gRamFreeSpaceStart equ 0x0203C000

gFlagRamStart equ gRamFreeSpaceStart
gArrayCount equ (0x203C324)
gVarRamStart equ (gArrayCount+4)

gFreeSpace equ 0x8A000F0

// say goodbye to help system
 .org 0x813B8C2
	.halfword 0xE01D

// var access
.org 0x806E454
	ldr r1, =varHack | 1
	bx r1
.pool

// byte access
.org 0x806E5C0
	ldr r1, =flagHack | 1
	bx r1
.pool

.org gFreeSpace
varHack:
	push {r4-r6, lr}
	lsl r0, r0, #16
	lsr r4, r0, #16
	mov r6, r4
	// check if it's in [0x4100, 0x7FFF]
	mov r0, #0x41
	lsl r0, r0, #8
	cmp r4, r0
	bcc varNotInRange // <0x4100
	mov r0, #8
	lsl r0, r0, #12
	cmp r4, r0
	bcs varNotInRange // >=0x8000
	ldr r0, =gArrayCount
	ldr r5, [r0]
	ldr r6, =gVarRamStart
	mov r3, #0

varLoop:
	cmp r3, r5
	beq pushBackVar
	lsl r1, r3, #2
	add r1, r1, r6
	ldrh r2, [r1]
	cmp r2, r4
	beq varReturn
	add r3, r3, #1
	b varLoop

// r3 = index to insert
pushBackVar:
	lsl r1, r3, #2
	add r1, r1, r6
	strh r4, [r1]
	add r5, r5, #1
	ldr r2, =gArrayCount
	str r5, [r2]

// r1 = &varStruct[xxx].varName
varReturn:
	add r0, r1, #2
	pop {r4-r6, pc}

varNotInRange:
	ldr r0, =0x806E45D
	bx r0
.pool

flagHack:
	push {r4-r6, lr}
	lsl r5, r0, #16
	lsr r4, r5, #16
	mov r6, r4
	// check if it's in [0x900, 0x1FFF]
	mov r1, #9
	lsl r1, r1, #8
	cmp r4, r1
	bcc flagNotInRange // <0x900
	mov r2, #2
	lsl r2, r2, #12
	cmp r4, r2
	bcs flagNotInRange // >=0x2000
	sub r4, r4, r1
	ldr r1, =gFlagRamStart
	lsr r0, r4, #3
	add r0, r1, r0
	pop {r4-r6, pc}

flagNotInRange:
	ldr r0, =0x806E5C9
	bx r0
.pool

.close

But, clearly it will need more test cases.

An alternative is to keep the var list sorted, so that we can do binary search instead of linear search. But I don't think it's really necessary here. Ofc, you can change the offset 0x203C324 to 0x203C2E0, but there's no much difference as there're already sufficient space for var access.

Remaining Bugs:

This is a memo to list the remaining bugs. Hacksrepairman and I didn't touch these bugs because Zel wrongly reused data snippets several times, so you won't know if fixing one bug will cause a more severe problem.

Please report any bug you've found!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 6, 2019
I've created an account here just to report a new bug.

In Slowpoke Well's B1F, you "can get a lot of" Rain Dance. Item pokeballs was replaced by NPC trainers, and one of two appears repeatedly; everytime player calls him, it returns a Rain Dance TM.

---------------------------------

Other thing that's not a bug, but... Is possible to fix volume sound from Zel's themes (Cherrygrove City and Lighthouse)? Are really louder than others used ingame.

Articful

Shiny Umbreon
Years
I went to the download link, and applied the ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta 5 ips to Fire Red.

Somehow, Shiny Gold does not start at all. Not sure, why its not working. I downloaded the 8/23/19 Version. Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 6, 2019
Two new bugs found:
— BERRY POUCH ever empty, even if you pick one from trees or gain it in National Park Contest;
— TM CASE turns only with HMs sometimes, it "fixes" when you buy or get a new TM/HM overworld.

Articful

Shiny Umbreon
Years
I figured it out, do not use v1.1, use v1.0 for the Fire Red. So the Completed - Shiny Gold is actually working now thanks!

Last edited:
Back