• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: 20th Pokémon Movie Announced

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
  • Actually Kyogre had a fairly large role in the Hoopa movie. But Ho-oH didn't show up, even though Lugia did. So Ho-oH is the only one that has little to nothing in the anime at all. Not even the show.

I am also really glad Ho-oH is coming back. I wish they would tell more about it. Like why has it showed up for Ash 3 times, but no one else ever sees it, other than after the Battle Frontier where Brock, May, Max, Brian, and Scott all see it with Ash.

As for S/M Movie, I am pretty sure Marshadow will have one, with possibly other Event Pokemon who may have not been in the coding yet for Sun and Moon. But I think the main season for this is because the Sun and Moon anime is supposed to be more story centric, I think.

I also think Ho-oH will have a bigger role. It seems like Ash will be getting a Rainbow Wing. As you can see it floating down in the poster.
    I really hope it's just not one of those moments where we see something a lot in promotions, but it doesn't really happen that much in the real thing. And I personally don't really count Hoopa, since pretty much every box legendary as well as the Eons showed up, minus, who would've thought, Ho-Oh. That must have been intentional; they had Lugia but not Ho-Oh. Like I've always thought, they've saved it for special occasions like before. Probably because they've wanted to keep it mysterious as it was when it appeared in the very first episode of the series and not be official until the next generation. And maybe somehow duplicate that feeling of awe when people first saw it then in this new movie.

Also, I'm wondering if Marshadow will be held off until the very last year of the generation like Volcanion was. Who knows *shrug*

Either way, we probably won't be getting that many SM movies at this point. I was originally thinking this was going to be some spinoff project movie, but no, it's the only movie we're getting next year. I wonder what we'll see when they do get to making SM movies.

Also, I'm desperately hoping that this time we'll be getting a Pokémon movie in US theaters once again. The franchise had a surge in success with Go, and this is a special occasion, so I'd have to think they'd put it in *some* theaters.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • It's been a long time coming but we're about to see Misty and Brock again (Hopefully)

Personally, I'm super excited. The prospect of seeing the old Pokemon Anime told using the amazing new animation software they've been using in SM... I just can't freaking wait.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • American Theaters I don't think have any love for anime or cartoons. Then only cartoon than has been in all theaters, that I can recall in recent years, is the Spongebob movie. So I am very seriously doubting we are going to get it in theaters. They just don't show them like they used to. Probably due to the fact people would rather watch love stories and R rated movies.

SO unless it is from Pixar or Dreamworks, and the clay animation style of Disney movies like Frozen, I doubt we will see it in all theaters. It might be select theaters, but I doubt all.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • You guys think this movie is the reason why Ash-Pikachu exists in SM's datamines?

American Theaters I don't think have any love for anime or cartoons. Then only cartoon than has been in all theaters, that I can recall in recent years, is the Spongebob movie. So I am very seriously doubting we are going to get it in theaters. They just don't show them like they used to. Probably due to the fact people would rather watch love stories and R rated movies.

SO unless it is from Pixar or Dreamworks, and the clay animation style of Disney movies like Frozen, I doubt we will see it in all theaters. It might be select theaters, but I doubt all.

We've got Resurrection of F in selected American theaters last time, and we're getting One Piece Gold coming to selected theaters next month.

Fenyx has a point. While this "retelling" of Ash starting out is a way to commemorate the 20th anniversary, I have been very sick of Kanto promotion lately and with the last XY movie being the worst-grossing Pokemon movie of all time, I feel this was only done just to try to avoid another box-office failure.

The 20th anniversary to me has been nothing but questionable decisions because it's shunting out so much stuff that should have deserved recognition.

Do I have to quote one of my Disquis friends again about how non-Genwunners are more vocal than Genwunners themselves these days?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think it would do fairly well in American theaters. Just because it would attract older and newer fans.

Also, I'm really hyped over this movie. I know it's just a "retelling", or that's what's being speculated, but I would definitely pay to see Kanto retold in theater quality animation, and in a shorter span of time. lol

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    American Theaters I don't think have any love for anime or cartoons. Then only cartoon than has been in all theaters, that I can recall in recent years, is the Spongebob movie. So I am very seriously doubting we are going to get it in theaters. They just don't show them like they used to. Probably due to the fact people would rather watch love stories and R rated movies.

It may still hit theaters in the U.S. They went out of their way to bring the first movie back to theaters for a short time.

I could still this be the same case since it's focused on the original Saga.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Holy cow holy cow holy cow. I gasped so loudly when I saw Kanto and the old Ash. I hope it's gonna follow an alternate story, hopefully with Ash meeting Ho-Oh. I've never been this excited for a Pokémon movie to be released, honestly.

Years
  • This is really surprising, but also really cool, I'm not really bothered that they're going for nostalgia, I mean it has been 20 years after all they certainly have a right to. I seriously wonder what the story will be, but I'm definitely excited!

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2024
    However, I been thinking that what if this isn't a remake. What if this takes place between XY and SM, where Ash sees Ho-oh, and he's only wearing the outfit for nostalgia sake?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Definitely looking forward to getting more information and seeing what will be going down in this movie. Right now I get the impression that it's going to be a fleshed out version of the first episode with some things that happened before Ash's first day, but of course it could be more than that. It could be the answer to when I made a thread a while ago about what a movie using the original story from the beginning of the series would be like.

I do hope whatever the movie is there's not a bunch of changes like there are with the Power Rangers movie coming out. Each one is more cringeworthy than the last one imo. At least seeing Ash's original outfit other than the hat design change is a good start.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It may still hit theaters in the U.S. They went out of their way to bring the first movie back to theaters for a short time.

I could still this be the same case since it's focused on the original Saga.

As far as I know, it was only for a day and that was also select theaters. I don't think it even came out anywhere around here. And if it did, I didn't hear anything about it. I wouldn't really want to watch it in theaters anyway though.

I just don't see American Theaters bringing cartoons back into the theaters like normal movies, unless it is for a few days at a time.

Finally Ho-Oh is going to get a proper appearance in the anime!

Remember, that is not yet 100% confirmed. As far as we know, it could be only a few seconds. Although there is a hint that it may be a bit more, but not confirmed.

Reactions: Z25
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2017
    I hope they show Brock and misty too. Anyways does this 20th movie indicates that writers are trying to connect the story with past?

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    As far as I know, it was only for a day and that was also select theaters. I don't think it even came out anywhere around here. And if it did, I didn't hear anything about it. I wouldn't really want to watch it in theaters anyway though.

I just don't see American Theaters bringing cartoons back into the theaters like normal movies, unless it is for a few days at a time.

Remember, that is not yet 100% confirmed. As far as we know, it could be only a few seconds. Although there is a hint that it may be a bit more, but not confirmed.

I believe it ran for a week, but I live in a small town, so no theaters near me had it.

It got decent distribution across the states from what I remember hearing though.

I agree that it's unlikely they'll be back in theaters though.

User19sq

Why is Ash's hat's markings different? Is this an alternate-dimension Ash? Did the Ultra Beasts kill original Ash?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I hope they show Brock and misty too. Anyways does this 20th movie indicates that writers are trying to connect the story with past?
    If it's only showing the story from the first episode Misty could be in it but not Brock. What I hope is that they have or at least try to have Veronica Taylor voice Ash.

Years
  • Serena08 is right, Veronica has solely been a 4Kids VA and left Pokemon when the dub cut ties with 4Kids. We should all pretty much know Sarah Natochenny (Ash's current VA) will still be voicing him even when this movie's dub is in production.

While there were other 4Kids VAs who returned to Pokemon starting from Season 11 (Diamond & Pearl Battle Dimension) such as Dan Green, Erica Shroeder, Lisa Ortiz and Jason Griffith, Veronica never returned to the series.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Fenyx has a point. While this "retelling" of Ash starting out is a way to commemorate the 20th anniversary, I have been very sick of Kanto promotion lately and with the last XY movie being the worst-grossing Pokemon movie of all time, I feel this was only done just to try to avoid another box-office failure.

The 20th anniversary to me has been nothing but questionable decisions because it's shunting out so much stuff that should have deserved recognition.

I couldn't agree more, with everything you pointed out.
    So many things have been ignored in favor of Kanto for this anniversary, it's as if they forgot about the other 15 years and only care about 1st gen nostalgia.
    The entire 20 years of this series is something worth celebrating, especially after the 1st two generations. So many Pokemon, characters, regions and so on.
    But I also see this movie as, they probably had no clue what to do with SM yet, so figured more Kanto would be a hit and make a SM film after they have developed out the series a bit further. :/

Back