• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite anime characters?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As title says—what are some of your favorite anime characters? What anime are they from? Why do you like them? Personally, I love L from Death Note. He's quite an awesome detective; his skills are just amazing. He may act a bit awkward at times, but I'm still a fan of him. Another would be Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece. Pretty fond of his weirdness. :]

Years
Vash the Stampede from Trigun. He's cooky, fun-loving, and an absolute dork. But he's also an anomaly in his universe since he's not only the best gunman, but he's also the most reluctant to fire his weapon. His emphasis on pacifism is really his defining characteristic, as much of the pain he buries comes from his horrible past and the lives he's hurt. I have a friend who thinks he's such a lame hero, but I think it takes a strong person to not want to kill someone who is harming others.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
Hakuryuu Ren - he has a serious personality but he's very loyal and honest; he can be really sweet as well, and I love how protective he is. he's sensitive and worries over small things and has a big heart, but he struggles with his past and it makes me want to hug him

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
^ I don't really like recent developments when it comes to Hakuryuu.
Spoiler:

I love L and Monkey D Luffy too, haha. Although, the character I love the most right now has got to be

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Spoiler:

Azuma Yuuhei - Cross Game

Cross Game is probably my favorite anime and I seriously could consider any of the "three" main characters (and hell, even some side characters) my favorite character, but I'd say the one that struck out the most for me is Azuma. Azuma is, at first glance, an antagonist. He represents the thing I love most about the manga/anime (and particularly what makes it so rewatchable) - subtlety, and the whole "show, don't tell" theme. Out of all the characters in the series, Azuma is probably the most complex. He doesn't appear to, actually, you'll probably find him to be an emotionless jerk. But the more you see of him, and particularly during rewatches (after knowing what happens and all), you'll actually pick up signs of his character. Subtle signs, but amazing ones. This is up to the watcher to pick up from his dialogs and actions, as the show rarely ever tells you bluntly about his actual character. Basically, Azuma is anything but what you first saw him as. Every thing he does, he does for a good reason.

The thing about him is that it's entertaining trying to decipher his motives and what he's actually feeling. Is he enjoying baseball? Does he like that person? Is he even happy? If you pay attention to the character, the show deliberately gives you hints for you to figure out. To give you an example, he might put on a smile for a while during a game, and that's the moment where you feel like "he is enjoying this!". It's the faint expressions he make, the little word he says, the small things he does - they all show you the big picture behind his actual character. To put it simply, he's a guy that doesn't really like showing his true self, but you'll be able to figure that out over the littlest things he does, making him a wonderful addition to the already varied cast of characters.

I think my favorite thing is his relationship with his brother though, who is really the biggest hint of all about Azuma's character. Interestingly enough, Azuma says that his brother "isn't really what he acts like." The characters are two contrasts, but that's the one main thing they share. Their interactions are normally comedic and silly, but heartwarming and realistic. Despite their huge difference, they still clearly love each other.

But ah enough of that, it's really hard to talk about Azuma without giving it all away. Really, finding out his character and how he develops on your own is a great feeling and makes you appreciate him that much more, if anyone here will end up reading/watching this criminally overlooked manga/anime anyway.

Honorable mention:
Spoiler:

Takamura - Hajime no Ippo
To be honest as a boxer I'd say his matches are way too over the top for my liking. Even his best match was basically overpowered vs overpowered making it really cliche (a really, really well done and amazing cliche, mind you) and missing the one thing I like best about Hajime no Ippo's matches (the limitations, adaptations to the situation, and varied fightstyles) but regardless his character is still the most entertaining thing about the whole show and his interactions and reactions to pretty much everything makes him the most awesome douchebag ever known.
Spoiler:

Kogoro Mouri - Detective Conan
DC has a lot of one dimensional characters, even among its main cast. (lol Ran.) That said Kogoro is one of the exceptions. He's not all that complex but he's a character that still surprises you occasionally and he serves well as the most entertaining character in the whole series with some of the best interaction and dialog. (alongside child Conan)

Last edited:
Years
My favourite characters are basically bishounen XD In my list would be: Kururugi Suzaku (Code Geass), Kurosaki Ichigo (Bleach), Fushimi Saruhiko (K) and Akise Aru (Mirai Nikki). The only female character I do take a liking to is Inoue Orihime, also from Bleach.

Evyl

t r a g i c
Years
Ichimaru Gin from Bleach is definitely one of my all time favourite characters.
Spoiler:

I can't really thinking of many other characters I love to death and I don't feel like typing up walls, so I'll give some honorary mentions: Toshiro Hitsugaya, Hisoka, Phinks, Feitan, Bonolenov, Uzu Sanageyama.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Lelouch vi Britannia from Code Geass.
Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist.
These two are a given. I will forever consider them my most favorite characters because I cannot forgot how breathtaking these two characters were in achieving their goals.

Other favorite characters of mine fade in and out every season as I watch new anime. See, some months back, I would be fawning over someone from Sword Art Online or from Attack on Titan or Beyond the Boundary. Hm. So... For this season, it's:

Main heroines and the teacher from Kill la Kill. Ryuko for her feistiness, Mako for her hilarity and enthusiasm, and Mikisugi for having a habit of taking his shirt off, haha.
All three main characters from Noragami. Yato for hilarious at times and badass in other situations, Yukine for his brutal honesty and implied tragic past, and Hiyori for her kindness.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Favourites! :O

Olivier Armstrong, Riza Hawkeye, and Ling from Full Metal Alchemist. The women, for being badass as hell. Their resolve and the respect they have from their fellow soldiers <3.

Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail. Similar reason.

Knuckle and Shoot from Hunter x Hunter, they're both so odd but loyal and strong. Knuckle especially is a big softie, looking after the stray dogs as well as Gon and Killua.

Shiroe from Log Horizon. He's an interesting protagonist as he isn't always the most powerful, or overcoming problems with sheer willpower and odd power boosts.

Years
- Genjoy Sanzo (Saiyuki): everything about him is just badass!
- L (Death Note): his presence/absence made all the difference for the series
- Ryoga (Ranma 1/2): sympathetic but constantly haunted by bad luck
- Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist): a brilliant combination of humor and seriousness

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I would have to say Haruhi Suzumiya. I love her to death because she's such a unique and eccentric character. She's not your typical anime character, and I think that's what I love most about her. I also love Kamina from Gurren Lagann, Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!, Roy Mustang and Edward Elric... the list goes on.

Scandalice

now known as Sukyandaru
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2015
Some of the characters I like are:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann-Kamina, "believe in the me who believes in you", an amazing guy with amazing glasses.
Durarara!!-Shizuo, "IZAAAAYAAAA". He throws vending machines and wears a bartender outfit.
Danganronpa-Kirigiri and Celes. Mystery girl and gothloli? Yes please.
Sora no Otoshimono-Pretty much the whole cast. Especially Ikaros (so cute, petting her watermelons) and Nymph (tsundere and voiced by Iori Nomizu? Yes!)
Kore wa Zombie desu ka-Masked Ayumu, Haruna, Eucliwood, Kyouko (I really liked her :3), Orito, and pretty much every other character.
Kuroko no Basuke-Kisecchi, Aominecchi, Midorimacchi, Hayakawa (reboundo!). I like most of the characters from this series too.
That's just a few of them. >.<

Years
L was one of the main reasons I enjoyed Death Note, so he's definitely a favorite.
Kanade (Angel) from Angel Beats is so innocent and adorable.
Niizuma from Bakuman is awesome because of his impulsiveness and genius as a mangaka.
Death the Kid from Soul Eater is pretty awesome too. His OCD is really entertaining.

Years
UGH too many. ;o;

Firstly, Yamamoto from Hitman Reborn. He's so sweet and hilarious, that and his obliviousness makes him all the more adorable, haha. I loved his interactions with other Reborn characters. :')

Then there is Mystogan from Fairy Tail. He's.. quiet but very caring and brave, which are all characteristics that I like in character. Basically the strong silent type, hah.

Shizuo from Durarara!!. Glad to see I wasn't alone in mentioning him! He snaps and goes absolutely crazy which is always way amusing.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
My absolute favoritest is Joringel from one of the Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics episodes. He's so kawaii, his English voice is cute, and he's got a cute personality. I love how he kisses another girl so innocently and then blushes. Plus you get to see him wearing only a shirt while his tights are off.

Watch this masterpiece here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_wntMtpdGo[/ame]

Another character from the same show that I love is Joseph from the episode "The Water of Life". He's even prettier than Joringel, and his clothing is so awesome. He's also very nice and helpful - he goes out of his way to help his father. It's best to check out the German dub of the series, where he is voiced by a little boy. (According to one anime website, the boy voicing him in the German dub also voiced Ichigo Kurosaki in the German dub for Bleach when he grew up.)

(Maybe I should draw some yaoi of the two guys I mentioned?)

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
tumblr_my9zqpAvJ21qgg9j8o1_500.gif

Homura Akemi from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Her ability to stop time and her weapons of choice (guns, explosives) put her at a high point of my list. She's a badass, really. Who seems like a really cold and merciless character at the beginning becomes a really caring and emotional one near the end.

..and then there's her role in PMMM.

Spoiler:

sorry if I messed up

Last edited:
Back