• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023

There have been similar things tried in the past on here. I participated in one quite a while ago (I can't seem to find it, it might have been deleted or something) and the person who started /that/ one was warned by some of the vets that it's been tried and they've petered out fairly quickly, and lo and behold, that happened to the one I was in as well.

All I'm saying is if you feel up to the challenge, go for it and I would consider participating, but just know that historically it's been an uphill battle.

DeusPro

Banned
    Years
  • There have been similar things tried in the past on here. I participated in one quite a while ago (I can't seem to find it, it might have been deleted or something) and the person who started /that/ one was warned by some of the vets that it's been tried and they've petered out fairly quickly, and lo and behold, that happened to the one I was in as well.

All I'm saying is if you feel up to the challenge, go for it and I would consider participating, but just know that historically it's been an uphill battle.

I'm definitely up for the challenge, haha. As long as I can advertise well and keep people reeled into the challenge and continuing to update and play their runs, I think I can manage to do well. Getting it widespread appeal is another thing entirely, but with correct planning I can do that as well. Speaking of spreading the word, seems like my signature will finally have a use haha

Years
  • Another Mini-Monthly Challenge will end soon and I totally forget to make one for November and won't be able to make one in time.
    So I wanted to ask you, if you have any idea for one and if any of you would like to host it.

UkiTheMaid

Robot Maid
    Years
  • Hello, may I revive the Pok?mon Rainbow Challenge from the days of old? Is a nice challenge and I think newer members would enjoy it :3

I'll just use pretty much the same rules setup from the original post because they are mostly fine the way they are, hah!

UkiTheMaid

Robot Maid
    Years
  • So, been thinking about making a Sailor Moon based challenge, and I'm slowly but surely developing "rules" for it, starting with what pok?mon you can pick for your team, based on the senshi. I decided to center myself around the main 10, because choosing pok?s to fit all the senshi that appear in the shows would be a nightmare, lol

This is what I got so far. If anyone has any idea on what to put for Sailor Saturn and Pluto, I would be very happy! I was thinking Dark for Pluto and Ghost for Saturn but =shrug= And like, I know Chibiusa sin't exactly an outer senshi but shhhhh

Inner Senshi:
    Sailor Moon = Bunny/Rabbit and Cat Pok?mon
    Sailor Mercury = Primary Water Pok?mon
    Sailor Mars = Pure Fire Pok?mon
    Sailor Jupiter = Pure Electric Pok?mon
    Sailor Venus = A Pok?mon that learns the move Attract by levelling up or has the Cute Charm Ability

Outer Senshi:
    Sailor Chibi Moon = Pink Fairy Pok?mon
    Sailor Pluto =
    Sailor Uranus = Ground Pok?mon
    Sailor Neptune = Pure Water Pok?mon
    Sailor Saturn =

UkiTheMaid

Robot Maid
    Years
  • So, been thinking about making a Sailor Moon based challenge, and I'm slowly but surely developing "rules" for it, starting with what pok?mon you can pick for your team, based on the senshi. I decided to center myself around the main 10, because choosing pok?s to fit all the senshi that appear in the shows would be a nightmare, lol

Expanding a little on the rules for this idea, after I thought about it yesterday:

=You pick which team you wanna use: Inner Senshi or Outer Senshi.
    =True to Sailor Moon fashion, your senshi need to be all female (maybe expand to no gender pok?mon? I mean as long as they are not male?).
    =Optional rule(?): if you pick the outer senshi group, your Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune need to follow Wedlocke rules, kinda? (still working on this since this is not really a locke challenge).
    =Your sixth Pok?mon is the only male of your team and acts like the team's Tuxedo Mask, but I'm not sure what that would entail lol, need to develop this further.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2022
    I didn't realize this thread was here when I posted in the general thread.
    Here's an idea for a run I've had that I wanted to get some opinions on. It's basically a way to run through every region with a "family lineage" of pokemon. It does require you to go out of chronological order to be able to work...But I still think it sounds fun.

Start with Fire Red or LeafGreen, catch team of 6 pokemon. Beat the game and do the post game at least up to the point of opening up the breeding center. Breed a team for the next game using your Hall of Fame team as parents. Your Pokemon may be bred with wild pokemon, but if you have two pokemon in your established team that are compatible with each other, they must breed to produce an offspring. Transfer or trade those to the next game. If you have an empty slot (due to mixing of parents), it may be filled with a wild pokemon. This will continue through a version of each generation until the final game where the final team are crowned champs. Genderless pokemon may be used, but no more than 1 is allowed on a team (and this'll make it more boring, as you're essentially stuck with the same pokemon for 7 regions). I'm thinking of calling it the Legacy Run. Obviously it's a bit involved...but I just started FireRed. I'm open to any pointers before officially posting this challenge.

Order:

FR/LG->HG/SS->D/P/Plt->B/w->B2/W2->OR/AS->XY->S/M/US/UM

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    This has probably been asked before, but what do you challenge makers/participants do to prevent power leveling? It doesn't really seem like a challenge if I can face a gym leader with my team all leveled 6+ levels above theirs, even if it's not the most optimized team. Does anyone put a rule about this in their challenge, or is it not really any issue how the players play?

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • This has probably been asked before, but what do you challenge makers/participants do to prevent power leveling? It doesn't really seem like a challenge if I can face a gym leader with my team all leveled 6+ levels above theirs, even if it's not the most optimized team. Does anyone put a rule about this in their challenge, or is it not really any issue how the players play?

Well it depends on the challenge, Solos are impossible not to have OP levels, Nuzlockes you can set rules so you cannot go over the level of the next gym leader. Aside from that, It's just your control when training, most challenges don't actually have rules about being over leveled.

Years
  • This has probably been asked before, but what do you challenge makers/participants do to prevent power leveling? It doesn't really seem like a challenge if I can face a gym leader with my team all leveled 6+ levels above theirs, even if it's not the most optimized team. Does anyone put a rule about this in their challenge, or is it not really any issue how the players play?

As Strike the Blood said, this is issue only in Solo/Double and maybe in Triple challenges or if you decide to use less that Pokemon.

You can try to avoid it by avoiding trainers and grass.

Last edited:

Raven Valt

Years
  • As Strike the Blood said, this is issue only in Solo/Double and maybe in Triple challenges or if you decide to use less that Pokemon.

You can try to avoid it by avoiding trainers and grass.

To be fair, unless you're doing a challenge where pokemon fainting is bad (aka a nuzlocke), there's really no reason to worry about over leveling, all it means is you can finish a challenge quicker.

I wish more pokemon games had a challenge mode, that gives BW2 such a good aspect is you can make it harder.

Years
  • anyone know if there's any plans for a Christmas themed event challenge? monthly challenges seem to have died off

Well, Monthly isn't dead, but I was talking to some people on Discord about it and Christmas event. I decided not to do Monthly Challenge same month as regular event (just like in October).

I'm still not sure what to do for Christmas event. I'm open to any suggestion with it :)

Years
  • Well, Monthly isn't dead, but I was talking to some people on Discord about it and Christmas event. I decided not to do Monthly Challenge same month as regular event (just like in October).

I'm still not sure what to do for Christmas event. I'm open to any suggestion with it :)

Have to come up with something quickly since we're already on the 6th lol

Maybe just something simple, like a Holiday/Winter themed run? Maybe team members based on various holidays that happen this time of year?

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Well, Monthly isn't dead, but I was talking to some people on Discord about it and Christmas event. I decided not to do Monthly Challenge same month as regular event (just like in October).

i didnt see one for november... maybe i'm blind.

anyway something holiday themed would be nice thats all we need. or heck. make it a secret santa thing where we randomly assign each other a pokemon for our ingame team.

Years
  • i didnt see one for november... maybe i'm blind.

anyway something holiday themed would be nice thats all we need. or heck. make it a secret santa thing where we randomly assign each other a pokemon for our ingame team.

Secret Santa is good idea :)

So, for the team members, I was thinking about in-game gift or Secret Santa, Ice-Type (This could be last call), deer-like or tree-like so far.

I would like to incorporate "gift bearer" (Santa, Ježíšek, La Befana, ...) and also something for Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

Any idea about that?

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • how about

In game gift/trade (its not just about giving contrary to popular belief)
    wonder trade (or random pick pre gen 6)
    secret santa from another member
    Ice type
    holiday themed (fairy, tree, deer etc)
    holiday tradition (so if you celebrate hannukkah or Kwanzaa or even just Christmas itself, something based on the history or tradition beyond commercialization)

something like that could work i guess, someone else could probably come up with a better idea though

Raven Valt

Years
  • There are plenty of christmas "themed" pokemon to choose from, you could have an event of having to complete games only using these festive mons.

Back