• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Sun & Moon Officially Announced [Summary of news here!]

TheShinyMew

Wild Challenger appeared!
Years
  • Those always makes me happy! They're be great generations ever straight across the world!

POKéMON SUN AND MOON RULES ALL!!!

Last edited:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    My interest in Pokemon has been waning since the poor show X and Y gave me, and my lack of true interest in Gen III. So I'm quite eager to move on from what I've perceived as a lackluster generation and go to something new. I hope that this generation will do better, and try to revolutionize the old and tired Pokemon formula by giving us something new. Whilst the trailer just basically tells me it's an anniversary celebration of the series, I still hope it introduces some interesting new concepts to frame all of this exploration of the series around.

Also, I like the names and logos, and find them to be pretty exciting in and of themselves.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I wonder what the trailer narrator meant when he said that Sun & Moon will "bring [all the games] together" or something to that effect. I mean, theoretically, each new game should be improving upon the best features of the last, so aren't they all in essence "bringing everything together?" I don't think a "game with all regions" is particularly feasible, so I'm intrigued as to whether that sentence has any particular meaning or if it's just some generic jargon.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • GENERATION 6.5/7 HYPE!

I'll probably put most of my reactionary thoughts into this thread, and I'll explore some other threads later...:

-It's really clever how Pokemon Sun and Moon complement the "Earth" of Pokemon GO's logo, and they're both supposedly releasing in the same year of 2016..!

-I really wish that I was able to avoid the leak of Pokemon Sun Version and Pokemon Moon Version on Reddit; the reveal would have been so much more fantastic.. >.< Granted, I probably should have avoided Reddit's Pokemon subreddit prior to the Nintendo Direct: Pokemon Edition of February 26/27, 2016, but the pre-presentation hype! ;_;
    It would have been hilarious if the actual announcement had thwarted the leaks' content, though - if Nintendo went through all that trouble with trademark registrations and potential website domain registrations just for some red herrings.. {XD} It is kind of odd that these particular games got leaked via trademark registrations; I don't recall this happening with core series Pokemon games too often (at least post-Pokemon Platinum).. Do people just camp out and hound the "list of trademark registrations" websites or what..? ~_~

-The news of the presentation itself was kind of sudden; I wasn't sure whether we would get a new game announcement so soon at all, with the Generation 1 Pokemon game releases sufficing! On one hand, I was honestly expecting Pokemon Z, but on the other hand, I was like "Given how Game Freak wants to 'surprise' us and how overt the anime has been with Zygarde and 'XYZ', Pokemon Z is probably the one thing that we won't get.. Back towards the previous "general" Nintendo Direct of November 2015, I was hoping for a Pokemon game announcement - I was anticipating:
    --Pokemon A and Z (to knock out our "Z" obsession and to counterpart the "alpha" and "omega" of Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire (ORAS)), with Pokemon A being a Kalos "prequel" (around AZ's era/during whatever war occurred 3,000 years ago) and Pokemon Z being a Kalos "sequel" (possibly exploring Team Flare's ambitions and/or all of those unsolved/unused stuff of Pokemon X and Y..).
    --Pokemon W and Z (essentially the same thing as above, although with the usage of the letter "W" to reference alternate animal chromosomes as well as doubling as a "WTF?" factor).
    .....It will be interesting to see what pattern-breaking Pokemon Sun/Moon will entail (at least in the context of "third versions or making sequels to paired versions" being predictable), if any.. I will probably be disappointed if Kalos's loose ends (and gameplay flaws) do not get wrapped up properly, like they should have in a hypothetical "Pokemon Z" release.. Otherwise, I was totally hoping for a Pokemon massively-multiplayer-role-playing-game (MMORPG)..

-SUN AND MOON! ...Great job ripping off the subtitles of Megaman Battle Network 4: Red Sun/Blue Moon, Robopon: Sun/Moon/Star Versions, and Digimon World: Dawn/Dusk (known in Japan as Digimon Story: Sunburst/Moonlight) all at once, Pokemon! {XD}>_> I mean, granted, "sun vs. moon" duality is practically an omnipresent principle/"Opposites 101", but it seems like Pokemon gets a free pass instead of it getting faulted for re-using things that other entities/franchises should get credit for.. But, alas, "there is nothing new under the sun" (totally unintentional solar pun), yada yada yada.. :/ And I guess execution and/or presentation is what really matters in the end (although, sometimes, that idea seems to get glossed over.. @_@). Um...well at least the logos are nice! ^^ And they are really invoking "Orange-Blue Contrast"..
    --I did not think that the version names would be so basic, though! XD I guess we're running out of "counterparting/opposing" entities...?
    --So, it looks like the English releases are really moving away from using the "Version" suffix? :( Sigh...I liked that word, even though I tend to refer to the core-series Pokemon games as just "Pokemon (color/mineral/letter/object)"..

-In this post's video, that is some top-tier prediction right there - five years in advance! o_O{D:}

-The Nintendo Direct: Pokemon Edition presentation of February 26/27, 2016 was just beautiful; interesting that Tsunekazu Ishihara hosted and even channeled Satoru Iwata's memetic hand gesture... :) Although, it would be nice to also see an appearance by Satoshi Tajiri, although it's understandable if he is reclusive.. I kind of feel like the Pokemon Red and Blue introductory segment is getting played out (first Pokemon Origins and now this!), but it is honestly fitting for this scenario.. I'm not sure why; I haven't even fully played the Generation 1 games yet and already I feel like I've seen that introduction as much as I've seen the Pokemon Sapphire/Emerald title screens.. {XD} I'm surprised that they went towards a multi-language route with some of the game logos/names that were shown... Nostalgia hit me every time something from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire(/and Emerald?) was shown!

-Thankfully, I got something new/surprising out of the presentation that wasn't leaked - Virtual_Console!Generation 1 connectivity with Pokemon Sun and Moon?! I was definitely not expecting that.. Someone even asked on Reddit a few days ago if it would be possible for Generation 1 games to connect somehow with Generation 6, and I thought that it was a foregone conclusion that it would be impossible, given the whole "Generation 2 to Generation 3" transition fiasco; the developer tenacity is remarkable.. It will be nice to see what coding approximations will be used for the mechanics that have drastically changed, although I feel that Kanto-debuting Pokemons' modern movesets should be revised to include the "now-legal" combinations of Generation 1 if we're going to be putting those Pokemon into play anyway..

-Ugh...thanks to the leak, the actual official announcement of Pokemon Sun and Moon felt a bit unfulfilling, even moreso than the ORAS unveiling. -_- Lol; these next few months are going to be a long wait.. -.-

-Where is this push to irregularly call Pokemon Sun and Moon "SuMo" coming from (and it's not like "S&M", "S/M", or "MS" will help matters much)? Just because the SM abbreviation references sadism&masochism/sadomasochism? -_- I guess "vulgar" search terms should be taken into consideration for entities attempting to promote a "kid-friendly" franchise, but this reaction towards a mere abbreviation is just dumb, in my opinion. With the pervasiveness of language, I feel that one is bound to encounter Accidental Innuendo no matter what combination of words or letters that you try to make; for all I know, "Rby" and "Gsc" is probably a really offensive thing in some random language somewhere.. I suppose it "matters" more if a given vulgar abbreviation/word happens to be "common".. In any case, I say screw it - I'll use "SM" as long as is necessary (at least until a hypothetical third/fourth version comes along). And "DP" got used all of this time
    Spoiler:
    (although I didn't even know that there was a vulgar meaning for those two letters) without incident, so I highly doubt "SM" will cause any issues. Moreover, referring to Pokemon games as Pokemon (letter/pair of letters) really doesn't help kids much if they're trying to buy a given game in the store or something (I mean, in terms of Pokemon version, "S" can mean Silver, Sapphire, SoulSilver, or Sun, and I would think that it takes as much effort to say "S" as it does "Sun", so you might as well go the extra mile and be specific); the shorthand letters are only really useful in informal written conversation/settings, forums, and Bulbapedia/encyclopedic superscripts and such.. And people will be subject to vulgar abbreviations in life regardless (such as people whose first name starts with S and last name starts with M); it seems futile to avoid abbreviations just because of the chance of perceived vulgarity.. (/abbreviation rant; Spaghetti and Meatballs for all)
    --On a side-note, when I don't use "RSE", I occasionally use "Ru/Sa" to refer to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, but only because of potential confusion with RuneScape's "RS" abbreviation, which I also tend to talk about a lot nowadays..

-Also, PokeJungle, really? It's bad enough that Pokemon (and Super Smash Bros., and the NX 'console') tend to suffer from rampant misinformation as it is; we don't need to deliberately add confusion in advance to Pokemon Sun and Moon with unconfirmed content..

-Lastly, let me try to knock out my indulgence in "S&M vulgarity" in one fell swoop.. I still support the "SM" abbreviation, but admittedly, these posts were hilarious {XD}:

knyght5 of Reddit said:
    Pokemon S&M:
    First Question: Are you a boy or a girl?
    Second Question: What is your safe word?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/47ptfk/can_we_please_agree_to_call_it_pokemon_sumo/d0ey8ym

antoniocesarm (and others) of Reddit said:
    ♫ ...CAUSE I MAY BE BAD, BUT I'M PERFECTLY GOOD AT IT!
    HYPE IN THE AIR[;] I DON'T CARE[;] I LOVE THE SMELL OF IT
    SUN AND MOON MAY BRING MY DOOM BUT POKÉMON EXCITE ME
    NA NA NA TRAIN ON
    S S S S AND M M M M ♫
    (to the tune of Rihanna's "S&M" song)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/47ptfk/can_we_please_agree_to_call_it_pokemon_sumo/d0etxqa

EDIT: I figure that this list that's been making the rounds for the "Generation 6.5" concept is probably completely fake (sans Magearna who was unveiled before the list was made, I assume), but it will be interesting to see if any Pokemon concepts from here crop up in Pokemon Sun and Moon..

EDIT 2:LOL at GameExplain making a ~20-minute video when all we had were the game logos from the trademark registration.. XD Granted, some people did devise some interesting theories even before the Nintendo Direct presentation..

Last edited:

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • I really think I want Moon. Having stayed up late many nights playing Pokemon, I find it fitting, but I have to see the version exclusives to be sure. Either way, I am beyond excited to see what the game brings as far as mechanics, what impact it will have in the competitive scene, what the region[s, plural, please?] will look like, and the new Pokemon. I really hope we see some new evolutions to old Pokemon rather than new Pokemon lines entirely as in Gen. 5 in addition to the other new Pokemon. Mega Evolutions for all the starters would be great as well.

Years
  • I know it would be strange but I think it would be cool if there are gonna be some first generation Pokémon to celebrate the 20 years~

I'm pretty sure the regional Dex will have a mix of new Pokemon and Pokemon from previous generations. I do hope it'll be arranged like the regional Dex in Kalos, because it had a lot of Pokemon and that allowed for flexible teambuilding options.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • To be honest he has a point. At least Digimon tried new stuff and evolved. Pokemon kind of stalled with the same formula.

You would think he has a point until you see his other videos that would make you disregard his opinion towards the Pokémon series and the upcoming Sun and Moon games.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Does any1 know about when CoroCoro's next issue gets leaked?

As early as tomorrow as the advance copies are received by then, and as late as the 15th. There is no specific date that leaks appear. Just a general time frame. We're about to enter leak week though.

We aren't sure if this issue will have Sun/Moon info either.

Years
  • As Xander said, we do have CoroCoro leaking soon, but as he said we are not sure if new Sun & Moon info will be showcased. If we don't get new info it'll still make us hard to speculate.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Corocoro will probably leak tonight.

and it will most likely have the mascot legends.

Every issue of Corocoro that has come out the month after a game announcement, features the mascot legends. So it's likely we will get at least those and probably some minor details.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • As early as tomorrow as the advance copies are received by then, and as late as the 15th. There is no specific date that leaks appear. Just a general time frame. We're about to enter leak week though.

We aren't sure if this issue will have Sun/Moon info either.

Well by the 15th it won't be a leak, as that's the day it officially comes out. I don't recall it ever coming out on the day it's supposed to. It usually leaks between 7-2 days before the official release. I expect them to at least announce the games, perhaps even provide a cover for them (with the legends or their silhouettes of course).

Back