• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen ?Now, which Pok?mon do you want??

Now, PLAYER, which Pokémon do you want?

• Pikachu

Votes: 29 13.3%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • Charmander

Votes: 85 39.0%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 52 23.9%

• Total voters
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm super surprised at how many Bulbasaur fans there actually are!
    Bulbasaur is super useful in Kanto c: I liked to use it, but my favorite out of these starters is still Charmander. Picking that is like playing Kanto on hard-mode though lol. Pikachu was okay, but I kind of often switched it out d: It bothered me that it wouldn't evolve haha.

Years
  • The first time I played Pokémon Red (around '99) I remember choosing Charmander, Charizard was just too fiery, dragony and overall just too cool for my 5 years old mind. Now, playing Pokémon Red again, I picked Bulbasaur. He just has enough everything (bulk, utility and offense, even half-decent speed) and seems to fit nicer roles in any given team.

DragonThale

DorkusDragon
    Years
  • Well ofcourse im picking charmander! Well duh because it evolves into charizard, one of my favorite pokemon in gen one. *-*

SeventhDawn

Uncompromising Worth
    Years
  • My first game was Yellow, so I started out with a Pikachu. In LeafGreen I went with Squirtle. He is my favorite of the four.

Years
  • Despite choosing Charmander for my first playthrough, I voted for Bulbasaur! I think his name is creative and his design is adorable!

Personally, I think Charizard is overrated design-wise... His stats are definitely better than Venusaur's.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I feel like time has been very kind to Bulbasaur. After the Charizard hype faded, people seem to have finally noticed that Venusaur is better when it comes to battling (at least until Gamefreak showered Charizard with fanservice buffs in gen 6). Now people are a lot more aware of Gen 1's crit mechanics, as well as how awesome Sleep Powder is, and the fact that Charizard's greatest fear for years was freaking rocks, kinda causing it to not look so great anymore. As for Venusaur, it has been pretty consistently good throughout the years.

But, due to nostalgia, and the fact that rocks are kind of a joke in gen 1, I'll be going with Charmander on the VC.

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
    Years
  • Charmander, of course. When I first played Red in '98, I chose Charmander because of Charizard being on the cover art. Back then, I naively thought that the cover Pokémon must be the best in the game.

I'm planning on picking up a 3DS soon (finally) and will go with the same choice. I can't go against nostalgia ;)

Guest123_x1

When I had Blue in physical Game Pak form, I picked Bulbasaur as the starter. Many years ago, I remember reading in a gaming magazine (don't remember exactly which, though) saying that players could only choose Bulbasaur, and that if they chose Charmander or Squirtle, they had to trade with someone for a Bulbasaur.
    Ten years after trading in my Game Boy Pokémon games, I bought the Virtual Console re-releases of all three internationally-released Gen. I games for my 2DS. On the VC copy of Blue, I again chose Bulbasaur, as I wished to relive my experience that I had years ago with Blue on my Game Boy Color as much as I could (to the point of having many of the same Pokémon I had then on this playing of that version.)

On Red, which I never had in its Game Pak form, I chose Squirtle, which also is advantageous against Brock (probably the reason why the aforementioned gaming magazine told readers about picking Bulbasaur). I never liked that everybody bragged about having Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard back in the day, especially since it was at a disadvantage against the first two gyms.

On Yellow, even though every player was stuck with starting with Pikachu, I put Bulbasaur and Squirtle on my team when I got them. Again, I don't care about Charmander, so I never bothered putting him on my team on this or any other game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    With the exception of a few challenge runs, I have always gone with Squirtle. Blastoise was the first Pokemon I learned about, so it got me into the series, in a certain sense. Since then, it has always been my favorite Pokemon, and thus, unless I'm playing Yellow, I feel compelled to start with Squirtle. (And if I am playing Yellow, I use all of the starters on my team.)

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Squirtle is always gonna be my #1! When I was a kid I got a pre-owned copy of Blue with a Blastoise that was super high levelled. I loved my adopted Pokémon so much and it was the first Pokémon I ever used. It's so beautiful and lovable mannnn, it was my favourite Pokémon for the longest time too.

Years
  • Squirtle is always gonna be my #1! When I was a kid I got a pre-owned copy of Blue with a Blastoise that was super high levelled. I loved my adopted Pokémon so much and it was the first Pokémon I ever used. It's so beautiful and lovable mannnn, it was my favourite Pokémon for the longest time too.

I didn't sell you my copy, did I? Ohohohoho! I remember selling all three of my cartridges to some kid around '07. I stupidly sold them along with my DS Lite. I was strapped for cash and I seriously regret that decision...

Anyways, Squirtle because Pokémon Blue is the best of the three in my opinion. Fuck Pikachu. I love Electric types, but goddamn. Pikachu was a brat in Pokémon Yellow. You want a Raichu? Too bad. I Boxed him as soon as I grabbed Magnemite.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2016
    Charmander Why you may ask. Why not os the better question especially after I name It Drac after Dracula

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • Sans Pikachu, I love all three starters. They are all greatly designed and do well in game. But I have to go with my boy Squirtle. Simply because when I play the game, I want Ninetails and Vileplume on my team, and that fills the need for a grass and fire type.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2016
    I'd say Bulbasaur as my choice.

Though I almost always pick Charmander because he is the only fire type until Vulpix and Growlith pop up along the line.

I don't really need the type advantage at this point because I already tend to use Butterfree and confusion to humble Brock, and Pikachu against Misty.

However, I think it's kind of fun to Leech Seed and Poison Powder things to death. Totally inefficient, but hilarious at times.

Back