• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen ?Now, which Pok?mon do you want??

Now, PLAYER, which Pokémon do you want?

• Pikachu

Votes: 29 13.3%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • Charmander

Votes: 85 39.0%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 52 23.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 12, 2016
I always prefer bulbasaur, leech seed and toxic is really OP in RBY. Plus the movest of bulbasaur could be used in more interesting ways than blastoise or charizard. TBH I would always prefer squirtle the least as once you get the super rod or surf capability, water types are in great abundance and some are far more intersting to use than blastoise is.

Qinshi

Gym Leader
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 18, 2016
I never played the first generation pokémon with bulbasaur.
Dont know why, i never liked that grass pokémon. Looked not awesome enough.

A Dragon or a turtle with 2 cannons on it, was way cooler than a green creature with a flower.

My very first playthrough on pokémon red: Squirtle.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I've always started with Charmander. Charizard has always been my favorite pokemon. Which explains why every new game I always start with the fire pokemon. The exception being pokemon black and white. I started with Snivy because he looked cool. I actually hated black and white. For the love of it I just could not get into the game at all. But I think that was the only time I broke my fire choosing cycle. Tepig just reminded me of a fat Gannondorf.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
Years
During my first ever Red run I picked Squirtle. I felt the need to repeat that decision in the re-releases. It was often one of the only Pokemon I ever needed to complete a playthrough.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
Years
I love them all (particularly Bulbasaur!!) but I'll have to go with Charmander here. The first ever starter I owned on the first ever playthrough I did.... Charmander just means a lot to me. ♥ Plus I love Fire-types, though some other types do top that heheh.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
I always choose Pikachu, I like electric Pokemon even they have low defense...
As for R/B I like to take Charmander!

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
Years
Nowadays, Id pick Charmander cause Charizard became my favorite Kanto pokemon during the years. But for the actual re-releases of the game I picked Squirtle for old time's sake.

I picked Squirtle way back then as my first Pokémon. And it's still one of my faves today. All 3 Kanto starters are special to me though.

Years
  • Age 49
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
I always went for whichever the cart colour matched - I think I originally had blue so it was Squirtle.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 17, 2021
I'm surprised Bulbasaur is doing so well. He was always definitely the third wheel when it came to the starters.

Or I guess fourth wheel, considering.

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
I love starting with Charmander, always game a me a better sense of challenging.

I will add I recently started up RBY on my PC and I cheated a bit, by giving myself all 3. What I did was save right before Getting the choice, then after choosing charmander on my main, I used the back up saves to transfer the other 2. muahahha! (I figured I'll never be able to play/trade with anyone on emu version so.. oh well)

- JC

Years
  • US
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
721px-003Venusaur_RG.png

I don't understand how anybody can compete.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
Years
  • Age 24
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 6, 2023
Since I got Yellow it will have to be Pikachu...sigh.
When I find Squirtle, he will be getting left let me tell you! Unless there's a Thunder Stone, then I'll be evolving him at least. :3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 14, 2016
I had blue but always picked Charmander or Bulbasaur as a starter :)

Back