• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen ?Now, which Pok?mon do you want??

Now, PLAYER, which Pokémon do you want?

• Pikachu

Votes: 29 13.3%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • Charmander

Votes: 85 39.0%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 52 23.9%

• Total voters

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Though I have no plans for obtaining the 3DS re-releases of RBY, the starter I typically pick is Grass-type. It's just a pattern I fall into. (With the special exception of Gen VI. I just love me some Braixens) So I would pick Bulbasaur. I do like it and Ivysaur, though I think Venusaur is just ugly as sin. It's enough to make me consider just keeping it as Ivysaur, to be honest.

Years
No love for Bulbasaur, as expected, despite its superiority over the other two...

I'm not sure my selection will matter much, as I'll likely ditch my Starter as soon as possible. I'd like a more I'm-not-just-Red-from-Pallet kind of team with this upcoming playthrough. :)

That's a really cool idea! I might have to steal it for my play through!

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Oh really; what don't you like about it?
Well, its large fat more toadlike structure is a huge turn-off to me. It also gains some rather unappealing bumps all over its body. But honestly, I think the worst thing about it is its face. That wide face with those eyes. The eyes on Bulbasaur and Ivysaur looked cute, and their faces weren't so wide. They both looked attentive and intelligent, whilst Venusaur looks like it got significantly stupider. I'm just not into big bulky monsters either. The only thing I find appealing about it is the flower on its back, but that was in the making from its previous evolutions.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
Playing Red as a kid, I chose Charmander. When I had the choice in X, Charmander was chosen again :) If I get the remakes, I'll pick it again of course!

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I didn't have red/blue when I was younger so I had pikachu as my starter.
If I get Red or blue on the 3DS I'll probably go with Squirtle as it's my favorite kanto startr.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 27, 2017
I just wanna say anyone who was around for red and blue in 98 was excited to hear about the release on Feb, 27. My only question and the deciding factor on if I buy it. I want to catch missingo use hm02 and make it learn fly then use rare candy let it evolve and have a kangaskhan with fly and sky attack :)

I did that in blue and a lot of the other kids were like AAAAAAHHH NO FAIR! when they could do it easily too. XD

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I'd like a more I'm-not-just-Red-from-Pallet kind of team with this upcoming playthrough. :)

Hahaha I'm kind of the opposite, part of me wants to relive the nostalgia and get a very Red-from-Pallet kind of team :P but then another part of me wants to experience all the cool Kanto Pokemon that I've never really used.

I chose Squirtle in the originals and I'll most likely be choosing it again. It's probably my favourite Pokemon hands-down so it's a pretty easy choice :P I love the other two but they just can't compete hahaha. I've always been fond of the Squirtle line's design, and I loved Ash's Squirtle as a kid (and I have this talking Squirtle toy from when I was a kid too that I recently found again hahaha).

Years
Charmander! Mainly because I was playing Pokemon Red, but also because I like getting the shit kicked outta me by Brock's Onix XD Nah I jest I dunno what it was about him he just seemed right to me ^.^

milkyfriend

coolkid
Years
I absolutely adore Squirtle, charmander and pikachu but since it's the only one I've never used in-game I'm gonna pick bulbasaur this time round C:

Years
Red: Bulbasaur. It's always been my favorite of the three.
Blue: Squirtle. It was what I ended up with after resetting and playing around with each starter the first time I played Red because I was eight and getting impatient by the time I got to Squirtle even though Bulbasaur was my favorite, and it ended up being my first level 100 Pokemon and it carried through both Red and Yellow when I traded it over, so starting with Squirtle when I finally play Blue feels appropriate.
Yellow: All of them because I'm boring.

Last edited:

Felkyr

Lorekeeper
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
>>>Hey Hiroshi. Happy to see another Melbournian on a forum XD --- I'm living away for this year but I come back every couple of months for stuff. We should do battle on 1st-gen sometime.
>>>By the way, I have to go with Pikachu since I'm getting Special Pikachu Edition for my 3DSXL. I really do love how the Japanese green 2DS looks as well. I'd like to be able to get it to also play Fire Emblem on but I think I'm going to miss out this time 'round.

Smiffy01

Ace Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
As I'll most likely be playing Yellow and doing a Poison-type monotype, I'd be forced to use Pikachu until I get Nidoran for the first gym.

hey if you go up by the patch of grass to the left of viridian city, before the first battle with Gary, you can easily catch a nidoran (female) :D

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
I bought both Red and Yellow versions, but I have planned to and am currently playing only Red primarily. As has been tradition for me for a long time, I've picked the Fire starter- in this case Charmander, and named him Match. He's currently level 19, and I've yet to let him evolve as I'm hoping to get some good moves early.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Bulbasaur is pretty much always my pick. It gets many fancy tricks up its sleeve in first gen, like Toxic + Leech Seed for turning any encounter into something trivial due to the two moves stacking in 1st gen, to Swords Dance + Body Slam to smash past foes. It also gains the excellent Sleep Powder to make capturing easier and Razor Leaf, which due to the 1st gen mechanics almost always crits making it effectively a 110 power(165 after STAB) move that ignores defensive boosts with a very high amount of PP.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 30, 2020
Squirtle has always been my favorite RBY starter. But I wasn't going to use him on both Red and Blue, so I picked Charmander on Red.

Patoto

Ruru rururirarurin
Years
if I can't get Pikachu i would go for Squirtle.. Blastoise is awesome.

Years
I would personally say Squirtle is my fave of the bunch, but I do love Bulbasaur as well. My Water-type favouritism showing here once again.

Back