• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen ?Now, which Pok?mon do you want??

Now, PLAYER, which Pokémon do you want?

• Pikachu

Votes: 29 13.3%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • Charmander

Votes: 85 39.0%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 52 23.9%

• Total voters

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I faintly remember picking Charmander in Blue. The main reason being because I knew it evolved into Charizard (epic dragon). I remember kicking myself over that decision early in the game though because I found it incredibly difficult to defeat Brock and Misty especially. Considering the type disadvantage and the lack of variety at the point in the game, it was a challenge to beat them.

This time around on the 3DS I think I will opt for Squirtle (sorry Bulbasaur). I personally prefer it over all three as I find Charizard super overrated. I really like Bulbasaur too, but I definitely prefer Blastoise over Venusaur in the long-run. I just can't wait to revisit my childhood more than anything really. Of course with a modern twist and a more mature and well-informed perspective on the game mechanics, type match ups and plot. I'm tempted to start planning my team; I have a few Pokemon in mind already, but I might just go with the flow and catch whatever attracts my attention.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
It depends. Part of me is really tempted to get Yellow just for Pikachu. ewe

At the same time, I'd love to raise a Charmander again and get Red version. When I was younger I played mostly Blue, since Red belonged to a friend of mine. So I'll probably go with Red and pick Charmander.

Melody

Banned
Years
I was, and always will be a Squirtle girl at heart. :3

Water types are amazing. Their versatility has helped me overcome even the most ridiculous of storylines. (I'm looking at you G5)

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
No love for Bulbasaur, as expected, despite its superiority over the other two...

I'm not sure my selection will matter much, as I'll likely ditch my Starter as soon as possible. I'd like a more I'm-not-just-Red-from-Pallet kind of team with this upcoming playthrough. :)

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get Yellow, and despite that, I chose Charmander. Just not a fan of that Pikachu, but I do want to get the other two starters without buying myself multiple games.

I'm not sure my selection will matter much, as I'll likely ditch my Starter as soon as possible. I'd like a more I'm-not-just-Red-from-Pallet kind of team with this upcoming playthrough. :)
Right? I was thinking about doing the same this time around.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 29, 2017
As I'll most likely be playing Yellow and doing a Poison-type monotype, I'd be forced to use Pikachu until I get Nidoran for the first gym.

Years
Oh my gooosh. D: Honestly the more I look at this thread the more I find it hard to decide.

But.. probably Bulbasaur.
001.png

I've grown very attached to it ever since Ash captured his in the anime and it has worked hard for me when I used it. Very useful against the first few gym leaders even if it does become more difficult to use later on.

There's also Squirtle solely because I love Wartortle, and Pikachu because it's adorable and is our mascot. I've used every one of these guys many times in the past but Bulbasaur will probably be my top followed by Pikachu. <3

When I get the games on Virtual Console I'll probably grab Bulbasaur yet again.

pkmin3033

I pick...all of them. In Red/Blue I'll start the game with one, trade it to the other, then trade it back so I have all three and catch a Pikachu in the Viridian Forest (hopefully after a few minutes, not several hours) and in Yellow you get all three as part of the story anyway.

Although in Red I might pick Charmander again and see how different my game is now that I know what I'm doing. I didn't have the best of times the first time I played Pokemon, because the concepts of type advantage and level grinding were new to me. It'll be interesting to see how much hassle certain parts of the game give me this time around.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I will pick Charmander naturally, since Charizard is my favorite Pokémon. Though since I'll have Blue and Red, I'll probably pick Squirtle in one of them as well just to switch it up a bit.

Keira

Gayer than you'll ever be
Years
I'll pick Bulbasaur for the easy carry through the first few gyms, then chuck it in a box and roll with a Diglett the second I catch it. Because diglett is so cute.

blue

gucci
Years
Always Bulbasaur for me as it was my first starter back when I played Blue. I have used all three starters through different games, but Bulbasaur remains my favourite of the Kanto starters. 8)

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
Years
In a Red/Blue playthrough I would usually end up choosing Bulbasaur as my main starter - mainly because I find there's better water types to aquire over Squirtle - like Starmie or Gyarados. As for why I wouldn't choose Charmander - I dislike Fire Type Pokemon.

I'm not getting Yellow since I'd usually end up catching a Pikachu in Viridian Forest anyways; sooooooooooo.....

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
I'm probably not getting the Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow re-releases anytime soon, but Charmander would be my starter Pokemon pick, mostly because of T3H FIR3H and because dragons are awesome. Under normal circumstances, Pikachu would be my second or third pick, since I like the thought of so much electrical power bundled into a tiny cute rodent. Squirtle would be my third or second pick, due to Blastoise being extremely well designed. Bulbasaur would be my fourth pick...he's nicely designed, although the evolutions, while sensible/logical, kind of leave something to be desired.. :<

It's kind of weird how people pick the "opposite starter Pokemon" of their version mascot Pokemon (namely, Charmander in Pokemon Blue and Squirtle in Pokemon Red), although I guess version-exclusive Pokemon factor into the mix (and those screwed-up Celadon Game Corner Pokemon prices), not to mention that "favorite color" may be separate from "preferred Kanto starter Pokemon"..

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I think I'm going to pick Charmander first, but I'll eventually want to get all of the starters to play with. It just seems right to do a run with Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, AND Pikachu. It'll be fun and I would suggest you consider trying the same.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2017
I'm getting Pokémon Red and will be going with my favourite Pokémon Bulbasaur as I want with Squirtle in my Blue Psychical copy game and I would all around prefer to go with Bulbasaur.

Bay

Years
I was, and always will be a Squirtle girl at heart. :3

Water types are amazing. Their versatility has helped me overcome even the most ridiculous of storylines. (I'm looking at you G5)

Well when it comes to which Pokemon I will choose, it is quite obvious given the fact that I like starting with the Water type starter. In this case, I will be choosing Squirtle.

I tend to prefer water starters myself! (high fives both Melody and Shepard).

If I were to play the RBY games, for R/B I might go for Squirtle since he's my favorite and Yellow Pikachu and Charizard. I do love Bulbsaur too, but I recently trained one when playing X so I guess maybe next time.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
Years
Pikachu is one of my favorite Pokemon, but I have a soft spot for Bulbasaur; possibly because it always seems to be the underdog. It's a close tie between those two, but I'd love to have both and wouldn't mind starting with one or the other.

Last edited:
Back