• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon typings that make no sense

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • What are some typings on certain mons that just baffles you? Also unrelated, but a revived thread, because apparently you all think that random happyhappyjoyjoy stuff is more interesting than an actual discussion.

Lucario - Easily THE typing that makes the least sense, why steel? I know it has steel spikes, but many non metal types have steel spikes too! I seriously can't think of a logical reasoning to why this thing is part Steel.

Emboar - No explanation needed, it should be like Fire/Rock instead.

Kommo-o Line - Can't exactly see how it's part Fighting. Looks more Psychic or Steel.

Palkia and Lugia - I presume it's because space flows like water and Lugia basically uses Psychic powers to generate water powers but still.

the sloth

is loafing around
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2020
    I understand Emboar not exactly looking like a Fire/Fighting type, but where does Fire/Rock come in? If it's typing had to be changed, I'd say Fire/Dark would make more sense.

I think the biggest victims of mistypings are some of the fossils. A lot of them don't even look part Rock type, only ones that do would be the Gen 4 ones imo. Amaura/Aurorus is the biggest victim of this, as not only do they not look like a Rock type, pairing it with its more faithful Ice typing makes it cripplingly weak to six types, two of which do 4x damage. Has it almost as bad as Parasect.

Years
  • when i was a kind and saw Groudon for the first time i actually thought it was a Fire type for obvious reasons and it took me a solid minute to get used to its Ground typing. i mean, i kind of get why it's ground, but it was weird for me for a good while.

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2019
    Palkia is part Water Type because Pearls come from the sea.

Can we talk about how Normal doesn't really make much sense? Pure Normal Pokemon are fine. Girafarig is cool as a Normal/Psychic because of the two halves aspect. Normal/Flying is I guess fine, although now that Rookidee and Corvisquire exist as pure Flying, we can start asking questions about what makes them objectively not normal in comparison to say Pidgey, Spearow, Pidove, and the like. I do think that Hoothoot and Noctowl make sense to stay as Normal types since a part of their original identity was supposed to be the antithesis of Ghost Pokemon through the use of Foresight, though that move also got Thanos-snapped in Sword and Shield...

I can also see Meloetta since sound is apparently a Normal-Type trait (even though sound should, if anything, be super-effective against Rock and Steel Pokemon as opposed to be resisted by them).

But what about Pokemon like Bibarel, Pyroar, Sawsbuck, Heliolisk, and other part Normal Pokemon. What is it about the Pyroar line that's more Normal than, say, Arcanine who's also a Fire-Type that's not actually on Fire? Why is Sawsbuck Normal/Grass, but Gogoat isn't? What makes Heliolisk Normal where other, non-artificial Electric types aren't, like Pikachu? Why weren't Rockruff and his evolutions Normal/Rock when they seemingly meet similar standards as other duel Normal Pokemon?

It feels like GameFreak doesn't really know what Normal even is and just slap it onto whatever they want.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Typings that make no sense, let's see........ Here's something! Incineroar is Fire/Dark instead of Fire/Fighting. I think Game Freak has got used to designing fire type starters like fighters and is not giving them a fighting type because of the uproar it may cause. Cinderace looks like fighting too!

Umm... what more? Aah, another one: the Applin line being dragons instead of bugs. How are they dragons, hehe, I guess that's Pokemon logic for us!

Years
  • Typings that make no sense, let's see........ Here's something! Incineroar is Fire/Dark instead of Fire/Fighting. I think Game Freak has got used to designing fire type starters like fighters and is not giving them a fighting type because of the uproar it may cause. Cinderace looks like fighting too!

Umm... what more? Aah, another one: the Applin line being dragons instead of bugs. How are they dragons, hehe, I guess that's Pokemon logic for us!

Incineroar is Fire/Dark because from what I've heard, it's based on a heel and heels are the "bad guys" in wrestling.

Anyway, Lugia being Psychic/Flying doesn't make sense to me. For Arceus' sake, it's called the Guardian of the Sea! It should be Water/Flying instead.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I feel like Celebi should be Grass/Fairy as opposed to Grass/Psychic. I can understand why it's a psychic type given how it can time-travel, but it is quite literally a fairy.

I've also never understood why Meloetta is partly normal, it just doesn't make much sense to me. Its Aria form should be Fairy/Psychic and its pirouette form should be Fairy/Fighting, because again, it's reminiscent of a fairy or sprite.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2019
    zMJEp8z.png

This about sums up my thoughts. xD

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't know why Bulbasaur is part Poison when it can't even learn any damaging Poison type moves by level up? Gen I just loved tacking Poison on almost every single Grass type.

I also still don't understand why the Azurill line was changed to part Fairy in the sixth generation. I've never really saw how it's a Fairy type and what's so Fairy like about it. It also only learns one Fairy type move at all, so I've never really understood the change.

Last edited:

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
  • What are some typings on certain mons that just baffles you? Also unrelated, but a revived thread, because apparently you all think that random happyhappyjoyjoy stuff is more interesting than an actual discussion.

Lucario - Easily THE typing that makes the least sense, why steel? I know it has steel spikes, but many non metal types have steel spikes too! I seriously can't think of a logical reasoning to why this thing is part Steel.

Emboar - No explanation needed, it should be like Fire/Rock instead.

Kommo-o Line - Can't exactly see how it's part Fighting. Looks more Psychic or Steel.

Palkia and Lugia - I presume it's because space flows like water and Lugia basically uses Psychic powers to generate water powers but still.

I just joined and I'm late but some of these I can kind of explain. Emboar has elements of that of sumo wrestler which shown in the first fighting type move it learns being Arm Thrust. I believe Lucario's black shoulders are made up of a type of metal called orichalcum/aurichalcum(mythical metal). Kommo-o,I believe is based on ancient Hawaiian warriors hence the fighting type. Palkia is supposed to represent liquid in the trio of solid(Dialga), liquid(palkia), and gas(giratina). I don't know what to say about lugia though.

Snubbull and Granbull don't look like fairy types. They look more like dark types. :-P

I believe in Germany(or somewhere in Europe), bull dogs are depicted as fairies which is why in gen 2 they're labeled as the Fairy Pokemon.

I feel like Celebi should be Grass/Fairy as opposed to Grass/Psychic. I can understand why it's a psychic type given how it can time-travel, but it is quite literally a fairy.

I've also never understood why Meloetta is partly normal, it just doesn't make much sense to me. Its Aria form should be Fairy/Psychic and its pirouette form should be Fairy/Fighting, because again, it's reminiscent of a fairy or sprite.

They only thing I could say is that changing legendaries and mythicals types will drastically change a lot about them. Usually when a type is added to a Pokemon, they either had one type or has normal type replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Lugia and Celebi are Psychic type because of that old idea of hardheaded nonsense by GF that Legendaries HAVE TO BE Psychic because "it's the strongest type and superpowered" at the time.

Therefore these two-see, (Mewtwo and Mew) being Psychic, OBVIOUSLY must be super powerful and head and shoulders above the rest.

Maril and Azumaril are based on Lapus Lazuli (no, not the Steve Universe woman of the same name but same inspiration actually.), which has to do with an old tale of binding a demon. So sure that's very Fairy sounding I suppose.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • I see...,but can we all agree that swablu should've been the first pure flying type.

I mean...debatable I suppose, but his Japanese name is based off a Dragon constellation. Doesn't help english and other players any, but if that's what they were going for then they should have just made him more draconic looking lol.

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
  • I thought it would be the first Bug/Dragon type since it's based on a snail ya'know, but I guess pure Dragon makes sense. It's goo isn't poisonous and snails aren't bugs surprisingly😅.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Pineco and it's evolution should grass/bug type, i don't see how an pokemon with an shape of an cone is pure 100% bug type, unless like Bonsly family, they imititate (sp) the grass things

That's why though...keyword imitating grass...when they're actually NOT Grass lol.

Back