• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Will you reset for a specific nature or shiny starter?

Years
  • Any plans to try resetting for a starter with a good nature or shiny (assuming they're not shiny locked)? Or will you just chose your starter and immediately jump in?

pkmin3033

I'll reset if I get a starter with an objectively bad nature - I don't want a Piplup with -Sp Atk or -Spd, thank you very much - but for a specific nature or a shiny? Nooo.

Years
  • i'll settle for second or even third best nature for the sake of a playthrough. uninterested in soft-resetting for shininess though. :\ depending on whether or not it's easy to complete the regional dex of bdsp, i might as well go for that, get shiny charm, get myself a foreign ditto and then start MMing, best case scenario.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    big fat no haha. but I will reset if my Chimchar is a female.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I'll hold out for a starter with a good enough nature before settling on it, as is usually the case when I pick a starter. Don't want to be starting the game with a Modest Turtwig.

I've never reset for a shiny starter, and never will. Would be way too time consuming, and I'd probably be able to beat the game about fifty times over in the time it would take to get a shiny starter (and that shiny starter would inevitably be a Modest Turtwig)

Years
  • I've never bothered to reset for a shiny, nor nature, but I have my diamond game has a piplup with terrible nature/stats, which sure is a struggle. So....if I get something poor for my turtwig I'll be resetting for a better nature <-<;;

Years
  • No to shiny, but will probably do a few resets for a decent nature. Even if the main story in Pokémon games tend to be very easy, it'd still be a little sad to me to have a Piplup with a nature of....Impish for example (-sp. attack). Would prefer a +sp. attack or neutral nature. Otherwise it will eat away at me for a while! lol

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'll probably just go with what I get tbh. That's what I usually do. Most thigns will suffice for ingame runs, let alone nature.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • But what if the starters are shiny locked again?

In other words, I'm not going to, I don't care about natures or shiny hunting starters.

Years
  • I think for BDSP I'm actually gonna try completely forgetting all that and just enjoy completing the game, exploring the region and working on the dex without caring about Natures, IVs, EVs and so on. So no soft resetting for me!

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Nah, I take Pokemon as they come.

And, after 4 generations(?) I'm still not really sure what natures do.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I never reset my game just to get a nature or anything, so no. I just don't see a point. Especially if the games are as easy as the last few have been. Don't really need the best stats.

As for a shiny, I already have a shiny empoleon and I'd much rather just do the masuda method with increased chances. I could care less about full odd shiny.

Years
  • I reset at least until I get a nature that doesn't detract from speed or the Mons main damage stat because I always make my playthroughs harder.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • My playthroughs are always quite casual, I seldom evolve my starter but sometimes I do soft reset for gentle nature. Good luck to all who will be resetting for a shiny starter!

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    i'm planning on banking the starter this time and if we don't end up having to wait a few months or til the end game to connect to home, i'll use a team of shiny pokemon that i've been putting off evolving

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2021
    Resetting for a good nature takes some of the fun out of Nuzlocking for me. It's about working with what you got!

Back