• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Confirmed Switch title

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm glad I bought my Switch!

Now, off to actually turning it on and playing it...

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    For the record, I'm perfectly happy with the main franchise moving to the switch, so that definitely is not an issue for me as it appears to be for many.

I will say though, I thought it would have been....interesting, if they entertained the idea of moving the franchise to the forefront of their mobile division. Which, I know seems like a ridiculous idea upon first glance. But smartphones are getting stronger and stronger, and the average one is actually a little bit stronger than the 3ds in fact. And combine that with the insane phenomenon that was Pok?mon Go, there's actual precedent there for people being interested.

Idk, it would be a huge risk, which is basically the opposite of what gamefreak likes to do. But I can't think of a better platform for a game based on person to person connectivity than a phone.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Can anyone really be surprised that Pokemon is making a move to the Switch? I don't quite understand the outrage at all...

For the most part, I get it that people think affording the Switch just for one Pokemon title would be excessive expensive. But, if launch trends continue the way it has, I expect the next Pokemon game to be release roughly around November 2018. It's not like it's going to be later this year, it's late next year. This isn't also considering other titles that might be coming to the switch between USUM and late 2018 that might convince people on the fence to perhaps buy a Switch anyway. I'd argue your average person has plenty of time to decide whether or not to buy a Switch by the time by next year when the Switch should have plenty of games added to its library. This is the reality of things; the Switch will be Nintendo's main console right after Gen VII has served its course. That's what's been happening every other generation and I'm not sure why it's such a shock to people that it's happening again.

Personally, after giving it some thought, I'm more than pleased that we're probably getting a main series game on the Switch! This most likely means more content and features that weren't able to be included in the 3DS carts due to hardware limitations. Maybe Game Freak will have more freedom to make a more polished Pokemon game on the Switch than they ever have when they were restricted to just handhelds. Who knows?

The outrage is hilarious if you consider how there was outrage about U-SM being 3DS games instead of Switch games... *sigh* this Fandom is as split as ever...

Years
  • Yeah they said it might not come out for a couple of years so I expect it'll be the first game of Generation 8, really don't see them continuing Gen 7 on the Switch, makes sense to start a new Gen on a new console.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I'm pretty happy about this for the Switch fans. I'm still not sure if I'll buy a Switch, but a Pokemon game for it would definitely be a big reason to do so. I'm the type of Nintendo fan that only really goes for Pokemon core games. I bought a DS Lite for Diamond, a used 2DS for ORAS, and bought a new 3DS for S/M. If anything's gonna make me buy a Switch, it's Pokemon.

It does puzzle me a bit, since Pokemon has traditionally been a handheld console game. I get that the Switch is blurring the line between couch-console and handheld, but to what end? Is Nintendo's ultimate goal to discontinue the 3DS and have the hybrid console be the standard? One can easily envision a Lite version of the Switch being made, that can't quite handle as much graphic intensity, but is much slimmer and lighter in form, to accommodate the hardcore handheld gamers.

Time will tell what Nintendo's plan is in regards to the 3DS line living alongside the Switch. The fact that they're releasing a core Pokemon game on Switch tells me they have long-lasting plans for the console and the "hybrid" direction itself.

Years
  • Face it, Nintendo axing handhelds altogether after the 3DS may happen after all due to hardware limitations, which may explain why the Switch could be the only focus in the future due to its stance as a hybrid console.

But we'll see if the 3DS will be the end of Nintendo handhelds and handheld gaming as a whole.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Pokemon was bound to move to a new console eventually. By the time this game comes out, the 3DS will be at least 7 years old, with two full generations of Pokemon in its library. The DS before it similarly saw about 7-8 years of Pokemon games, spanning two generations. If you include the DS era, this series has been running on the same sort of dual-screen handheld console since 2006. As much as I've enjoyed the 3DS over the years, I'm wholly content with the way Nintendo seems to be slowly phasing it out, now that it's reaching the end of its lifespan.

On one hand, like most people, I'm concerned that not enough people will be able to get their hands on a Switch (or afford one in the first place) by the time Pokemon reaches it. I've got one myself, but a lot of my friends are still tentatively saving up. I'm weirdly hoping this game takes longer to finish and release, so that we'll all have more time to purchase the Switch (and enjoy the rest of Generation 7).

On the other hand, I'm very excited. The move to Switch could bring so much innovation to the series - I can't even begin to imagine what sorts of new features we'll see. The Switch is not only much more powerful than the handhelds Game Freak is used to working with, but it offers so many unique ways to play, especially when it comes to multiplayer. The possibilities of seeing a Pokemon game with a massive world, or loads of streamlined multiplayer options, or even just really polished graphics, has me eager to hear more. While we could very well just see the same traditional formula ported to a bigger console, I'm holding out for some truly exciting and unexpected improvements.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm fine with this, as long as they give people time to pick up the Switch. I personally won't have the money for a while, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's dirt broke. Give everyone a few years to enjoy Sun & Moon/US & UM and let them pick up a Switch in that time. Cool.

I am worried though. Some people may not buy a new console just for their pokemon games. They may lose business due to this, and a lot of sales. This could be a bad idea on a marketing standpoint. "Oh, you have the 3DS to play your favorite franchise? Well time to buy a Switch too!" I am sure this will get a backlash when it comes out.
    I've never held a Switch in person, but if I may ask, how portable is it? Can you stick it in your bag? How quick does the battery drain? If it's not too much of a battery hog and you can put it in a small bag, I'd say it's fine.
    As pointed out earlier, Pokemon can do well outside the 3DS. This very issue came up over and over too - happened with XY as it was the more onto the 3DS, and with Diamond and Pearl following the jump from GBA to DS. If anything this announcement is sort of a vote of confidence for the Switch, which has had a strong start with sales and perception.
    Oh, he did? This'll be interesting to see then.
    Yep. Adding to that too, Game Freak's work on Pokemon has been the main series rather than spinoffs.
    Face it, Nintendo axing handhelds altogether after the 3DS may happen after all due to hardware limitations, which may explain why the Switch could be the only focus in the future due to its stance as a hybrid console.

But we'll see if the 3DS will be the end of Nintendo handhelds and handheld gaming as a whole.
    Switch is a hybrid and hence handheld, so really if the switch does well it's not the end of handheld for Nintendo and gaming. And heck, mobile gaming exists too. Handhelds aren't dead at all.

Years
  • As pointed out earlier, Pokemon can do well outside the 3DS. This very issue came up over and over too - happened with XY as it was the more onto the 3DS, and with Diamond and Pearl following the jump from GBA to DS. If anything this announcement is sort of a vote of confidence for the Switch, which has had a strong start with sales and perception.

Yep. Adding to that too, Game Freak's work on Pokemon has been the main series rather than spinoffs.

Switch is a hybrid and hence handheld, so really if the switch does well it's not the end of handheld for Nintendo and gaming. And heck, mobile gaming exists too. Handhelds aren't dead at all.

What I was trying to say was that we may see the end of the typical handheld console, and the focus will be on Switch and mobile gaming. Totally explains the fear I once had of handhelds being killed by mobile gaming.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I am not sure this means the end of Pokemon on an handheld console. We still don't know what's the game yet. I kinda have hope for a multi region game?? As much as we know the main series can still be on the 3DS (and what's next). I know they said "core" title... can it be a remake? (example, gen remake or something like that)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I am not sure this means the end of Pokemon on an handheld console. We still don't know what's the game yet. I kinda have hope for a multi region game?? As much as we know the main series can still be on the 3DS (and what's next). I know they said "core" title... can it be a remake? (example, gen remake or something like that)
    possible it's a gen 4 remake, yeah. multi regions would be interesting! i imagine the switch would be better at running that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Pok?mon Sun and Moon were amazing games that blew me away and they were released shortly after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. As long as they can pump out quality titles I'm fine with the switch to put it on the Switch. I've always loved Colosseum so it'd be nice to see another console game following the typical Pok?mon battle formula.

Back