• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you listen to music?

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Do you binge artists? Listen to playlists of all sorts of artists? Listen passively, while doing something else, or sit down and focus on the music that's playing around you?

Ever since I was young, I loved binge-listening to artists I truly loved. It's typically how bands stand out in my mind. I've binged tons of artists since then, and I'm always happy to find a binge-worthy musician these days. I've built plenty of playlists on Spotify, and while they do have their serve a unique purpose, nothing beats diving head-first down the discography of a band I want to fully embrace.

My most recent binges were Mogwai over the summer, and Godpseed You! Black Emperor over the fall and winter. I'm not binging much right now, but Billie Eilish has smacked her way right onto my radar, after listening to Bad Guy. The production on her 2019 album is killer. And she's got a gorgeous voice, of course. It's a bit harder to binge an artist that only has two full-length records, but we'll see what happens.

SO! How do you listen to music? Passively, or actively? By wide-variety, or very focused on an artist or genre?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I mostly just shuffle play through playlists featuring songs I like, usually while I'm doing something else. My playlists tend to be hodgepodges of genres, and I usually just listen to music because it's good, not necessarily because it fits the mood of what I'm doing, but if I'm walking around in a mall, I'll more likely listen to jazz or something.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I listen to certain ones I like on repeat. It doesn't get tiring for me tbh. Like, right now... I'm listening to a WIP by my hero Troy Baker that he posted called "Breathe"... but that's because it calms me down and such. I do make playlists and stuff for my stories. Other than that, I have no preference for listening other than based on my current mood.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    It depends on my mood. I have some days/weeks where I listen to one particular genre, but most days it's a mix of just whatever I'm feeling in that particular moment. Although, when I'm driving tend to shuffle through my favourites playlist. Most playlists are organized by genre or contain songs that convey by a particular mood/emotion. For instance, I have playlists devoted to various soundtracks, or ones that remind me of certain individuals in my life.

I always play music when I go to bed, usually something instrumental or something soft, but not always. I also regularly listen to classical music and traditional Japanese music when I do homework or when I'm having a bath, as I feel it helps to relax me. I also love to listen to music when I clean or when I do my makeup in the mornings. Basically, I'm listening music all of the time.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I binge certain artists, and I don't get tired with the constant style. I'm currently binge-listening to August Burns Red's Phantom Anthem album on Spotify, it is awesome, in my opinion. When I study, I prefer either no music or Indian classical music, or sometimes video game OSTs, though I avoid battle themes while studying.
    I recently created a playlist on Spotify which will keep me occupied while trying to get a shiny starter in Heart Gold. There are some days when I constantly listen to music, and there are others when I don't even listen to a single tune. It depends upon the situation too, for example: I don't play games without music, but if it's too late in the night, I mute my 3DS and prefer silent gameplay.

Years
    • Seen today
    Spotify, and it's usually while I'm waiting for the bus or something.

I almost never listen to music unless I want noise or I'm waiting for something.

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NJ
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I have the sirus XM radio service so I use that in the car usually and on the app on my phone at home or on pc. I also liste to tunes on youtube if i want to hear specific songs. i also use pandora sometimes too since XM partnered with them.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Usually I listen actively or semi-actively, often I listen actively to new discoveries and then listen to stuff I like while I do other things, mostly on the computer. As for genres, it depends on the week: there are many different genres that I like and there are usually 10- or 14-day periods when I listen predominantly to a certain genre which then I barely listen for weeks while I cycle through other genres. Two weeks ago I was mostly listening to prog and psychedelic rock; last week to modern electronic especially ambient and downtempo, and this week I've almost exclusively been listening to post-rock for a few days now. Also sometimes I decide to get back listening to the whole discographies (or at least most releases) of artists I love but haven't listened to in a while, and I usually listen to one or two of their albums each day, in chronological order. Last month I did it with Snarky Puppy, then with Ozric Tentacles, and now I've just started relistening to all Sigur Rós albums.

I started using Spotify in 2013 and there are lots of artists I have discovered on there and I use it a lot, although there are artists which I have many physical CDs of (like Sigur Rós I mentioned above).

I mostly listen to music through my computer, without headphones as sadly I haven't any good pair left and had other more urgent things to buy (at least my computer's speakers are quite good), but now getting a new good pair of headphones is rising among my priorities.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • 90% of the time, if I'm listening to music it's through Youtube. I don't really feel like logging into Spotify to use it, and I don't subscribe to Pandora. :x The other 10% I guess is the radio, since I'm sometimes in a car/van and have to put up with that.

Years
  • With ears

I've never been a "play it in the background" kinda guy because I focus too much on the song whenever it plays. I prefer either a podcast or just silence for that situation. Listening to music is a task in and of itself.

Back