• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Acne

Years
  • Acne is something that has affected many of us to varying degrees at some point. So let's talk about it.

Have you had, or do you still have, acne? Are you currently trying to treat it (such as with acne-targeting creams, change in diet, change in skincare products, medication, etc)? Would you say acne has impacted your everyday life? Or are you one of the lucky ones who never had much, if any, acne?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I tend to get it mostly along the bottom part of my jaw and chin area. And then I'll get some on my back every now and then. I know my issue is I drink to much sugar.

I use face masks and charcoal face cleaner when I take a shower. They always seemed to help. I know when I was working and having to wear a face mask I would get them more often.

Years
  • Yes. I'm in my 30's and still get it. The worst thing is, all pimples I get turn into keloids instead of fully healing.
    By sheer luck, the ones on my face don't, but if I want to be treated like an actual Human when I go out I have to use concealer on my shoulders and chest.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't have a problem with acne, but i've had occasional cysts which i've had to have drained by a dermatologist with a needle.

It's always scary because you never know if it's going to be cancerous or something, and having pretty bad health anxiety doesn't help. I have another growing which i'll be getting checked soon.

Years
  • Yes. I'm in my 30's and still get it.

I had crystal clear skin up until I was around 18/19, when a breakup at the time stressed me out so bad that I couldn't function for months (I was a super sensitive teenager), and that caused some horrible breakouts. I've dealt with acne ever since and I'm 30 now, so I totally get how you feel. Had to go on accutane at some point to help with it, and then several months of going to the cosmetologist every 2 weeks to fix all that leftover scarring. It was awful. :( I'm sorry you're struggling, hope it improves <3

Currently I'm on medication that helps with acne as a side effect, which was one of the few reasons I started taking it. But I'm not sure if it's working too well for me since it seems to make me feel a bit moody/depressed, on top of giving me stomach pains at night. Booked a doctor appt next week to discuss switching... probably to another one that's also good for acne, and will just hope it doesn't give me any negative reactions like this one.

Years
  • I had crystal clear skin up until I was around 18/19, when a breakup at the time stressed me out so bad that I couldn't function for months (I was a super sensitive teenager), and that caused some horrible breakouts. I've dealt with acne ever since and I'm 30 now, so I totally get how you feel. Had to go on accutane at some point to help with it, and then several months of going to the cosmetologist every 2 weeks to fix all that leftover scarring. It was awful. :( I'm sorry you're struggling, hope it improves <3

Currently I'm on medication that helps with acne as a side effect, which was one of the few reasons I started taking it. But I'm not sure if it's working too well for me since it seems to make me feel a bit moody/depressed, on top of giving me stomach pains at night. Booked a doctor appt next week to discuss switching... probably to another one that's also good for acne, and will just hope it doesn't give me any negative reactions like this one.

If it's accutane, that's a known side effect. It's recommended you do talk to your doctor.

Years
  • I have a little bit of acne on my chest and back.

I used to have really bad acne on my face and that went away by taking Isotretinoin and stopped drinking chocolate milk or eating anything that has chocolate flavor.

Years
  • If it's accutane, that's a known side effect. It's recommended you do talk to your doctor.

I took accutane aaaages ago! Like, 2010 probably. Wouldn't take it again because the side effects were just awful for me - skin was driest it's ever been and my lips were chapping like crazy, to the point where they'd just bleed out. It was a lifesaver for what it did but going through those side effects again would be horrible. :X

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I had normal teenage acne but it wasn't ever noticeable to me and I didn't think much about it as it was minor. My family has always had fairly clear skin and my Mum used to tell us how she never got acne until she met my Dad, hahah. I wasn't the best at taking care of it when I was younger and would use those cleansers without moisturising so my skin would dry out. Not surprisingly, it would get worse. Luckily I changed that quickly and have used facial cleanser + moisturiser since for flare ups. I do still get occasional breakouts when I'm stressed out but otherwise my skin is clear so I consider myself lucky. :D

Years
  • I took accutane aaaages ago! Like, 2010 probably. Wouldn't take it again because the side effects were just awful for me - skin was driest it's ever been and my lips were chapping like crazy, to the point where they'd just bleed out. It was a lifesaver for what it did but going through those side effects again would be horrible. :X

Same! I had to stop it because my skin was literally splitting open. Like I could try again but my hands were covered in bandaids last time lol.

pkmin3033

I had acne from my mid teens through to my early twenties which got considerably worse the more stressed I became. It was probably at its worst during University when I had exams. In a weird way I miss it because my reaction to stress now is IBS and that's significantly worse than a few spots, but back then I absolutely loathed it and nothing seemed to work on it. Taking tablets was never an option because of potential side effects, and over the counter cream and ointment etc. didn't have any noticeable effect. It was probably due to my diet and generally poor health. I didn't have much self-confidence back then as it was and I never cared for my appearance because of my hair colour, so it was just one more reason for me to hate myself back then.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Eh, I'm old enough to stop getting bad acne like a teenager. Won't lie tho, a few small ones do crop up now and then. I think I might have rosacea in my T-zone.

Years
  • I have no acne. My skin is very smooth like my Aunt Linda. Some of it is genetic, but we also both drink a lot of water, and that helps keep the complexion clear, and we also like long steamy showers and baths. Note warm/ hot water on the skin helps open up the pores, letting the water in, and cold water closes them tight, and helps you absorb the water, and stay hydrated longer.

I also use a lot of natural and organic products without the harsh chemicals that can break you out, and sometimes make my own soaps. I am mindful of what my cosmetics are made of, look for a minimal amount of ingredients with recognizable things in them like olive oil, coco butter, vitamin E. I keep exfoliating products on hand to brush away the dead skin cells too, soaps made of things like oatmeal, teas, coffees will work wonders for the skin. Once upon a time I used milk and honey soaps too, but those are days gone by.

When I get out of the shower I also will put body oils and butters on like sweet almond oil or shea butter, packed vitamin E and A and others vitamins that are good for your skin, and usually combine it with a gentle essential oil like French lavender. This not only is relaxing--stress is never good for the skin, and the fragrances not only smell inviting, but a little oil will make your skin appear to glisten and it also forms a barrier that seals the moisture into your skin, and keeps you looking refreshed. Don't use too much though, because then it will clog the pores and causes break outs and acne.

I have it down to a science.

Last edited:
    Back