• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokémon Trainer class do you identify with the most and why?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Of course, every Pokémon game contains various Pokémon Trainer NPCs that the player battles throughout the game. Trainer class refers to the archetype that each Pokémon Trainer identifies with. Examples include Ace Trainer, Beauty, Youngster, and Lass. If you were a Pokémon Trainer, what Trainer Class would you identify the most with and why? This can include Trainer classes from any given generation. In my case, my Trainer class would undoubtedly be the Rising Star trainer class, specifically in generation VII's Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon. I am often told that I resemble that Trainer class very strongly in those games, and I am slowly but surely climbing the ladder in ranked competitive battles, hence Rising Star. What about you?

Years
  • Id absolutely would be a collector. Im more of a catcher than a battler type and i get a kick out of collecting all those elusive legendaries or mythicals(and ive amassed quite the collection over the years)

Years
  • Apparently there was a group of 'Eevee users' trainer classes in Alola after beating the E4.
    Post-game only, which is probably why I missed them.
    I'll be going with 'Glaceon User' then =D

'Icy Guy' and 'Collector' would also be fitting classes.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Pokemon Breeder or Super Nerd. Spent a lot of time over the years breeding. Qualifies for Super Nerd on interests.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Apparently there was a group of 'Eevee users' trainer classes in Alola after beating the E4.
    Post-game only, which is probably why I missed them.
    I'll be going with 'Glaceon User' then =D

'Icy Guy' and 'Collector' would also be fitting classes.

Yes, I remember those trainers. You had to basically figure out where the Eeveelution trainers would be throughout the region based on their certain characteristics about them. It was a fun little side mission, but it was also kind of sad too. It definitely highlighted the trials and tribulations of growing up, getting old, and what happens to trainers in the Pokémon world if they aren't successful. Anyways, while it's technically not an official class, "Eevee user" definitely suits you!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Based on my in-game teams, definitely Collector. Full-odds Shiny-hunting is really the only thing that keeps me involved in the games.

In reality, I'd probably be a generic "Pokémon Trainer" since my IRL interests are kind of a mixed bag. However, if I had to pick a proper Trainer class (that's excluding spin-off exclusive classes), I'd have to lean toward Bug Maniac. While I don't really resemble them next to wearing glasses, I go on walks nearly every day looking for things to photograph, most of those being insects. I'm also an avid moth-watcher!

LQlhNNv.jpg

In terms of appearance, I could also see myself as a Super Nerd—but only if they'd appeared in ORAS. Schoolboys/School Kids grow up to be Super Nerds (and eventually Scientists) and the male School Kid sort of looks like a younger version of me. Glasses, bangs, hair color... I'm by no means a genius, but I did get good grades in school and some of my interests are on the sciencey side, like fossils (paleontology) and insects (entomology). You'll never catch me in a button-up shirt though.

Just for fun, here are what my teams of 6 could look like:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Absolutely Lady, especially the one from BW:

lady.png

Her sense of style is similar to mine and I clicked with her right away. Not sure if she ever showed up in the anime since I can't remember, but she is just so me!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Absolutely Lady, especially the one from BW:

lady.png

Her sense of style is similar to mine and I clicked with her right away. Not sure if she ever showed up in the anime since I can't remember, but she is just so me!

I can see that, definitely. Even your post flair looks like something the Lady trainer class would have. 😊

Years
    • Seen today
    Considering that most trainer classes have a fixation with a certain theme or types, I guess I'd be something like an "Ace trainer" because they tend to use a good variety of Pokémon so you don't really know what to expect when battling them, as opposed to hikers, bug catchers, bikers, super nerds, psychics, dragon tamers, run maniacs, etc.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Considering that most trainer classes have a fixation with a certain theme or types, I guess I'd be something like an "Ace trainer" because they tend to use a good variety of Pokémon so you don't really know what to expect when battling them, as opposed to hikers, bug catchers, bikers, super nerds, psychics, dragon tamers, run maniacs, etc.

Yep, that definitely suits you. Your sig even shows the variety of your teams in each game. That's pretty cool too. I want a sig like that.

Years
  • I idenitfy with the Dragon Tamer trainer class the most because dragons are my favorite creatures ever and I use dragon-type Pokemon when playing Pokemon games very often.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    Well in real life, A Collector or a Super Nerd, But as a Pokemon Trainer, Defintly Ace Trainer.

Sidenote: I just had a cool idea, they should make a Shiny Hunter Trainer Class that only uses shinies, I mean it would be mean, but cool too.
    But they will sadly (probably) never make one.

pkmin3033

Ordinary Guy/Ordinary Lady, there's nothing particularly special or noteworthy about me. Can we have an "Ordinary Person" class though? I suppose if I absolutely had to go with one or the other it'd be Ordinary Lady, because I almost-always play as a female character in video games these days due to the broader range of clothing options/generally better design, but if I'm literally transplanting myself into the Pokemon world as a trainer I wouldn't want to be either one.

I suppose a good backup option would be Office Worker, which is similarly dull and gender neutral, but since I permanently work from home that doesn't really fit me either, haha. Perhaps a Veteran? I've been with this franchise since the beginning and I'd like to think I know how to play the games by this point.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Ordinary Guy/Ordinary Lady, there's nothing particularly special or noteworthy about me. Can we have an "Ordinary Person" class though? I suppose if I absolutely had to go with one or the other it'd be Ordinary Lady, because I almost-always play as a female character in video games these days due to the broader range of clothing options/generally better design, but if I'm literally transplanting myself into the Pokemon world as a trainer I wouldn't want to be either one.

I suppose a good backup option would be Office Worker, which is similarly dull and gender neutral, but since I permanently work from home that doesn't really fit me either, haha. Perhaps a Veteran? I've been with this franchise since the beginning and I'd like to think I know how to play the games by this point.

I believe that some classes already depict ordinary people, usually depending on age. Youngsters and Lasses are ordinary young boys and girls that are rookie trainers, Ace Trainers are ordinary teenagers or young adults with advanced skills, Veterans are ordinary middle-aged adults with a lot of experience, and Gentleman and Madames are ordinary elderly trainers. Either way, middle-age or not, if you've been playing Pokémon since the beginning, then Veteran would be a good trainer class for you regardless.

pkmin3033

I believe that some classes already depict ordinary people, usually depending on age. Youngsters and Lasses are ordinary young boys and girls that are rookie trainers, Ace Trainers are ordinary teenagers or young adults with advanced skills, Veterans are ordinary middle-aged adults with a lot of experience, and Gentleman and Madames are ordinary elderly trainers. Either way, middle-age or not, if you've been playing Pokémon since the beginning, then Veteran would be a good trainer class for you regardless.
    I know, I mean there are literally trainer classes called "Ordinary Guy/Ordinary Lady" which, like the ones you mentioned, are gender specific. I'd want one that is gender-neutral for myself if I was transplanting myself into a Pokemon title. Veteran does seem like the closest to me, but...it does sound kinda conceited to label myself as such when there are plenty of other people in the same position as myself, having grown up with the games from Gen I onwards. I would equate Veterans to having more skill than Ace Trainers, maybe a step below Gym Leaders in terms of proficiency.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I know, I mean there are literally trainer classes called "Ordinary Guy/Ordinary Lady" which, like the ones you mentioned, are gender specific. I'd want one that is gender-neutral for myself if I was transplanting myself into a Pokemon title. Veteran does seem like the closest to me, but...it does sound kinda conceited to label myself as such when there are plenty of other people in the same position as myself, having grown up with the games from Gen I onwards. I would equate Veterans to having more skill than Ace Trainers, maybe a step below Gym Leaders in terms of proficiency.

Dawn, you just triggered my curiosity. I never knew that those "Ordinary" Trainer Class existed. I don't recall seeing them in any Pokémon game that I've ever played and I've played every mainline title. What game were they found in? Were they some sort of special Trainer Class that only appeared during certain points of the game such as a battle facility or something or obscure side quest?

Nevertheless, I don't think considering yourself a Veteran makes you conceited. It is very possible for multiple people to fit into one type of Trainer Class. I think it's very safe to say that if you've been playing Pokémon since the very beginning, you are indeed a true Veteran. Most people that play Pokémon can't say that they were there from day one, since you have several younger generations that play the newer games as we speak. Also, I would say that Veterans are better than gym leaders because the main place that you find them is in Victory Road and/or extremely late routes such as those that lead to battle facilities. You can only make it to Victory Road after collecting all eight badges, and to the battle facilities after beating the Elite Four. Also, on rare occasions, Veterans can have teams of minor legendary Pokémon (those with stat totals of 600 or less) when you maintain a high streak in battle facilities as well. This is definitely true for generation VI. Therefore, one can argue that Veteran just might arguably be the most skilled Trainer Class in the game outside the Pokémon League. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Veterans could represent what Pokémon game protagonists would be once they become fully-grown adults.

pkmin3033

Dawn, you just triggered my curiosity. I never knew that those "Ordinary" Trainer Class existed. I don't recall seeing them in any Pokémon game that I've ever played and I've played every mainline title. What game were they found in? Were they some sort of special Trainer Class that only appeared during certain points of the game such as a battle facility or something or obscure side quest?

Nevertheless, I don't think considering yourself a Veteran makes you conceited. It is very possible for multiple people to fit into one type of Trainer Class. I think it's very safe to say that if you've been playing Pokémon since the very beginning, you are indeed a true Veteran. Most people that play Pokémon can't say that they were there from day one, since you have several younger generations that play the newer games as we speak. Also, I would say that Veterans are better than gym leaders because the main place that you find them is in Victory Road and/or extremely late routes such as those that lead to battle facilities. You can only make it to Victory Road after collecting all eight badges, and to the battle facilities after beating the Elite Four. Also, on rare occasions, Veterans can have teams of minor legendary Pokémon (those with stat totals of 600 or less) when you maintain a high streak in battle facilities as well. This is definitely true for generation VI. Therefore, one can argue that Veteran just might arguably be the most skilled Trainer Class in the game outside the Pokémon League. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Veterans could represent what Pokémon game protagonists would be once they become fully-grown adults.
    They were Battle Revolution-only classes, and I think there was only one of each...which actually makes them rarer than Veterans! So maybe that's a poor choice for someone who is completely unremarkable, haha.

You raise some interesting points, as many people who were interested in Pokemon at a young age have long since grown out of the franchise. A few were pulled back in by the success of Pokemon Home and the Switch titles, but outgrowing things is often just a natural fact of life. Beating multiple games and leagues WOULD make you a Veteran, regardless of how many people had done it before, or will go on to do it after you. I suppose maybe some of the classes introduced in B2W2 for the PWT - the Representative classes, World Finalist, and World Champion - would be more fitting for what I would define as a "Veteran" in this instance.

Years
  • I didn't realize about the existence of the Ordinary Guy/Ordinary Lady - if the regular Lady class didn't exist, I'd probably be inclined to choose this one also!

The Artist is also fitting for me since I am an artist... even if it's a more unreliable one thanks to art block. :')

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
  • Probably Ace Trainer, for the same reasons that Corveone stated. Specifically the XY Male Ace Trainer, for the aesthetic.

Back