• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completed Event Running out of time - GT 2023 Pokémon Challenge

Years
  • The Running out of time in Pokémon Sapphire

Running out of time - GT 2023 Pokémon Challenge

SEGMENT 3

A lot happened in this thread since I posted my last update. Luckily, I was already at Mauville City, when the Global Rule about Rock and Ground-type Pokémon dropped. But since I can't get any eligible Pokémon now, I'll have to play with it in the next segment. Then another Global Rule about exploding fairies, which I could start right away. Say hello to Grace, the serious Ralts. Which evolved slowly after to Kirlia. Which kinda solves my own personal rule that banned Fairy-type Pokémon. It still bans Steel and Dark-types, but I think I can manage without them.

I also put Karin and Harper back on my team. With them, I leveled up around Mauville City, let Harper evolve and challenged Wattson to battle. I used Grace's Confusion, which is her strongest attack, to beat Wattson's Magnemite. I barely made it in 5 turns. I then switched to Karin and easily best the rest of his team within my turn limit.

Now, I'll move to Future 4.

Team

Karin, Bold Female Marshtomp
    lvl 23, Torrent
    - Water Gun
    - Bide
    - Mud Shot
    - Growl

Harper, Adamant Female Vigoroth
    lvl 22, Vital Spirit
    - Fury Swipes
    - Yawn
    - Encore
    - Slack Off

Janna, Naughty Female Breloom
    lvl 25, Effect Spore
    - Mach Punch
    - Leech Seed
    - Headbutt
    - Mega Drain

Grace, Serious Female Kirlia
    lvl 21, Trace
    - Confusion
    - Calm Mind
    - Teleport
    - Double Team​

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 18, 2024
    Elesa down finally! 100 points!

Current rules:
    - Your Pokémon cannot evolve during this segment.
    - If you used Water-type Pokémon in any of the previous segments, you can only use Pokémon caught during this segment. Otherwise, you can't use TMs for the rest of the game.
    - You can only use Grass and Normal-types for the next segment (global rule).
    - You can only use Fighting and Fairy-types for the next segment, or in alternative, only Normal-types (global rule).
    - You have to put at least one Flying-type Pokémon on your team for this segment.
    - You must use Explosion or its variations at least once during each segment's final battle (if you have no way to have a Pokémon of yours learn these moves, you can ignore this rule).

Some time has passed but I was just quite busy with irl stuff (the good kind)... anyways!

Haven't seen all the new global rules from these updates but will start following those too (if I can) from the next segments! For this one though... I kept Pidove, now a Tranquill, in my team all the time. That's another rule dealt with. I also FINALLY evolved Riolu into Lucario, caught a Trapinch, and got the right Pokémon to fulfill my newest rule about using Explosion... Koffing!

There's not much else to say about this segment, I sped through it and spent most of the time just grinding levels, until I got just too tired and decided to try Elesa anyway. I was quite unprepared but I'd say brute force got me through anyways. Make that even more literal because my first turn was Koffing barely surviving a Volt Switch from Emolga and Self-Destructing against Flaaffy. After that it was Lucario's turn, who just spammed Force Palm a few times and took out both Flaaffy and Zebstrika - not sure why but Zebstrika graced me by using Pursuit a few times. I let Lucario go down so that Trapinch could come in on Emolga and knock it out with the newly learned Rock Slide... Trapinch is a Pokémon I've never really used and this only makes me more excited to keep one in my team! Let's see how it goes :)

My team:
    - Lucario, lv. 29
    - Koffing, lv. 25
    - Gurdurr, lv. 28
    - Tranquill, lv. 22
    - Minccino, lv. 22
    - Trapinch, lv. 27

Last edited:

kpac_xjinx

XJinX
    Years
  • Name: X_K.V.Jin_X
    Trainer Class: Street Thug(Rocket Admin from Gen III if former is not available)
    Your favourite time traveller: Grand Oak
    Game of choice: Emerald
    Where you want to start on the map: Future 01

Years
  • Name: Apro
    Trainer Class: Swimmer
    Your favourite time traveller: Grand Oak
    Game of choice: X
    Where you want to start on the map: Future 03

Years
  • Updating the map now. Check back later for new rules.

Not much has happened this time. Well, nothing actually happened at all. Your supreme Time Lords got their new rules and new victims players have joined in, but that's it.

EDIT: Actually, Arcaneum posted their post right after this, so I'm going to use my time machine and...

Arcaneum: You fiddle with the red computer and make it run. You can't really understand what it says, but you can see that the red tile lit up in the other room.

Last edited:
    Years
  • - ARCANEUM THE BURGLAR
    - SUNDAY 20TH AUGUST 2023
    - CURRENT DESTINATION: OLIVINE CITY
    - TARGET DESTINATION: MAHOGANY TOWN
    - TODAY ON ARC RADIO: ZEBRAHEAD - RUNAWAY
    Chapter 7 - RAGE of Lake

Global Rules - None (I started this before the Fairy rule came in)
    Personal Rule 1 - You may only use Pokémon which were not introduced in the Generation your game is in (Generation 2).
    Personal Rule 2 - You must use at least one Electric type Pokémon in your party this segment. (No longer in effect)
    Personal Rule 3 - Your Pokémon cannot evolve this segment. (No longer in effect)
    Personal Rule 4 - You must change from SHIFT to SET battle style. If you already use SET or do not do this, you are limited to a max level of the max level of the next Gym's ace (This is in affect all game)
    Personal Rule 5 - If I used any healing item during my previous Gym battle, I cannot use any items this segment. Otherwise, I must remove half of my healing items. (No longer in effect)
    Personal Rule 6 - If I used a Grass Type during any previous segments, I must use only use moves I learn during this segment in this segment. Otherwise, I cannot return to any previous locations in my game unless it is for story/healing purposes.
    Personal Rule 7 - I must use a two-turn move (Bide etc.) during the Gym battle of this segment.

Another zoom-zoom segment - first was a trip to the Lake of Rage, to see what spicy shiny we got. Unfortunately it was only a Shelgon, so I just killed it and instead focused on the mission ahead - getting Smog the Haunter and CRAB the Kingler up to level 30, to try and level the team out a bit. After quite a lot of grinding, including having Smog take out the ENTIRE Team Rocket hideout, we finally made it. Smog even evolved - twice! Smog the Haunter became Smog the Barboach and eventually became Smog the Ninjask. The Sassy Ninjask...

After that, I was gutted as the three Electrodes here were actually a Magmar, Meganium and Staravia. I wanted the first and third, but my team thought otherwise, deciding to OHKO them with critical hits. Thanks guys!

Then it was a brief visit to Pryce, although actually that was two visits. His ace, Gardevoir, absolutely wrecked me the first time, managing to sweep 5 Pokémon with one attack. It did not help, because of my new rule, that I had to lead with my level 8 Absol, because it was the only Pokémon that satisified Rule 7 due to having Sky Attack. Thankfully it did get to actually use it and the second battle went a lot better than the first, earning me my 7th Badge, the GlacierBadge!

Next up is going to be the lonnnng haul to Goldenrod to take down Team Rocket once and for all, but most importantly my last Badge!

Badges: 7 (Zephyr/Hive/Plain/Fog/Storm/Mineral/Glacier)

I would like to go back to Past 8 and interact with the red terminal thing please.

- PREVIOUS LOGS

- POKÉMON PARTNERS
    Spoiler:

Years
  • - ARCANEUM THE BURGLAR
    - SUNDAY 20TH AUGUST 2023
    - CURRENT DESTINATION: MAHOGANY TOWN
    - TARGET DESTINATION: BLACKTHORN CITY
    - TODAY ON ARC RADIO: STEVE VAI - DYIN' DAY
    Chapter 8 - Draconic Destruction

Global Rules - I need to use a Fairy Type, or something that changes into a Fairy Type in future games, in my team for the rest of the challenge. It must use an Explosion-type move if it can, otherwise it must use its strongest available move.
    Personal Rule 1 - I may only use Pokémon which were not introduced in the Generation my game is in (Generation 2).
    Personal Rule 2 - I must use at least one Electric type Pokémon in my party this segment. (No longer in effect)
    Personal Rule 3 - My Pokémon cannot evolve this segment. (No longer in effect)
    Personal Rule 4 - My must change from SHIFT to SET battle style. If my already use SET or do not do this, I am limited to a max level of the max level of the next Gym's ace (This is in affect all game)
    Personal Rule 5 - If I used any healing item during my previous Gym battle, I cannot use any items this segment. Otherwise, I must remove half of my healing items. (No longer in effect)
    Personal Rule 6 - If I used a Grass Type during any previous segments, I must use only use moves I learn during this segment in this segment. Otherwise, I cannot return to any previous locations in my game unless it is for story/healing purposes.
    Personal Rule 7 - I must use a two-turn move (Bide etc.) during the Gym battle of this segment. (No longer in effect)
    Personal Rule 8 - I must pick one Pokémon during this segment to not use until the final segment - I must then use it during that segment.

Oh my god I forgot how painful this segment can be. ESPECIALLY with these rules in place.

I don't have a single Pokémon for the global rule, so I had to go and catch myself Carol the Mawile (Grass/Electric), which I am deeply regretting because it turns out Mawile just kinda sucks! And it's now a permanent member of my team! For my personal rule, I decided to leave out BONGUS, as they are quite easy to train and I think will do well against the E4.

So first up, it was time to try and train the Mawile up I guess... I head back into Dark Cave for Pokémon around its level and find a Flareon, so we bring in FWOOSH the Flareon into the fold! I got really lucky with this one - Rock/Dragon typing AND an Adamant Nature, this was a keeper for sure. At this point I actually decided I was just going to let Mawile cruise along and grab levels where it could, FWOOSH was going to be one I levelled up first.

And levelled up I did! I took it for a tour of the Radio Tower, where after a while it started screaming through the whole things and getting up to a whopping level 32. Really great stuff. I did however run into a roadblock at Archer in the end - I just could not make a dent in that team! After 3 attempts, I finally managed to get past him, which meant it was finally time for Clair.

I am amazed at how quickly and flawlessly I flew through the Ice Path puzzles, they aren't exactly rocket science but I nearly always stumble here. After a quick run-through of that, I decided to actually just go ahead and give Clair a try. At this point I am sitting at a lowest level of 36, so i reckon I could do it.

And do it I did! She even had some real strong Pokémon in her arsenal, but bringing FWOOSH along has been instrumental to my success, it's so good!

With that, once we did the stupid Dragon's Den test, we got our 8th and final Badge, the Rising Badge! Onward to the Elite Four!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh also as a fun bonus, I ran into two roaming encounters - one was Arceus (Ice/Psychic) and the other was Regirock (Normal/Dark)... and I caught them both on the first try... so I guess they're in my collection now!

Badges: 8 (Zephyr/Hive/Plain/Fog/Storm/Mineral/Glacier/Rising)

I would like to go back to Past 8 and interact with the red terminal thing please.

- PREVIOUS LOGS

- POKÉMON PARTNERS
    Spoiler:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 18, 2024
    Oh hey! I beat Clay somehow!

Current rules:
    - Your Pokémon cannot evolve during this segment.
    - If you used Water-type Pokémon in any of the previous segments, you can only use Pokémon caught during this segment. Otherwise, you can't use TMs for the rest of the game.
    - You can only use Grass and Normal-types for the next segment (global rule).
    - You can only use Fighting and Fairy-types for the next segment, or in alternative, only Normal-types (global rule).
    - You have to put at least one Flying-type Pokémon on your team for this segment.
    - You must use Explosion or its variations at least once during each segment's final battle (if you have no way to have a Pokémon of yours learn these moves, you can ignore this rule).
    - Towards the new future - You have to put a Fairy-type Pokémon (or Pokémon that turns into a Fairy-type in later gens) on your team until the end of the game. It has to use Explosion or any of its variants (or if it can't learn any, then it has to use the strongest attack it currently knows) in each Gym Battle. It's not affected by any other rule.
    - As long as you have a Grass-type Pokémon on your team, all Sinnoh Pokémon are unaffected by Global Rules.

This was a short segment, all I really did was get myself this Fairy type for the new global rule (which conveniently doubles up as a Grass type) and a Ducklett, grind against some trainers, and try to beat Clay! Of course, said Pokémon was Cottonee. I thought it could already learn Memento, but it turns out it can only do so by breeding in Gen 5, and the daycare is locked until Postgame in Pokémon White 2. So...

first things first, I exploded on turn one with Koffing. That checks out my Explosion rule. Then I sent in Cottonee and spammed its strongest attacking move, Giga Drain, finishing off Clay's Krokorok and Sandslash. That's the global rule checked off the list too, at least for now! Cottonee will be my resident Fairy for most of the game anyways, glad it's doing alright. And if you're asking about how I got one, well... on Route 4 a guy trades you an otherwise unobtainable Cottonee for Petilil, which is the version exclusive of White 2 :)

After Cottonee paralyzed Excadrill with Stun Spore and got decimated, Ducklett came in with Feather Dance... but then got destroyed by Rock Slide. Luckily, with just 8 HP left by the end of it all, Trapinch came in and Bulldozed his way past the now crippled Excadrill (and I didn't even need Lucario to come in) for the win!

I guess I also got N's Zorua but I don't plan on using it, it's just not as interesting without the ability to use TMs :')

My team:
    - Trapinch, lv. 30
    - Cottonee, lv. 30
    - Lucario, lv. 30
    - Ducklett, lv. 26
    - Koffing, lv. 25
    - Zorua, lv. 25

I saw a bright green computer in Room 10 (where I had no choice but to go to) so I might as well play with it a little... then, if nothing goes wrong, I'll be going to Future Room 13 ♥

Last edited:

tenthcompanion

Glass Cannon
    Years
  • Global rules:
    - Have a fairy type on the team that can (and must) use explosion or similar
    -Have a rock/ground type for this segment
    Personal rules:
    -Avoid optional trainers and don't pick up any items off the ground
    -Have $100k and HP-draining Pokémon are exempt from rules

Ok so first things first: catch a Koffing and Rhyhorn. I was going to catch the roaming Onix but I, uh… killed it. Not like I'm gonna use a ground/rock type in the fighting gym anyway. I did some dynamax raids to get exp candy to speed up my grinding a bit. Once I got to Stow-on-side I traded a Maractus for a Hattena since psychic would be helpful in the fighting gym.

Going into the gym my team was: Pancham, Hattrem, G. Weezing, Rhyhorn, Gastrodon and Comfey.

Can I just say… Comfey has somehow become a core member of my team. Maybe even my ace?? I thought I'd replace Comfey with Hattrem but I've gotten very attached to my lovely flower friend.

I made easy work of Bea's team with Hattrem, Weezing and Comfey. Weezing used self-destruct on Sirfetch'd but it used detect so Weezing just blew herself up for no reason😅 Dynamax Comfey two-shot the gigantamax Machamp for the win.

Rhyhorn existed on my team for the entire segment and did absolutely nothing 😅 Now I can get rid of him.

Also, the map is showing me in future 3 but I believe I got transported to future 7. What are these levers or objects on the wall in future 7?

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years

• Trainer: TwilightBlade
    Game: Pokemon Heart Gold
    Badges: 4
    --- Segment 4 Update ---

Global Rule: The Medieval age - You can only use Fighting and Normal types for the next segment. Completed in segment #3.
    Global Rule: Towards the new future - You have to put a Fairy-type Pokémon (or Pokémon that turns into a Fairy-type in later gens) on your team until the end of the game. It has to use Explosion or any of its variants in each Gym Battle. It's not affected by any other rule. Pokemon: Koffing
    Global Rule: Sounds sort of like a... - Players of Team Apricorns have to put a Pokémon with type combination of Rock and Ground on their team for the following segment. Pokemon: Geodude
    Trainer Rule: In the name of progress - You can only use the best version of each available item.
    Trainer Rule: Fast catches - You may only catch the most common Pokémon you can run into in each area.
    Trainer Rule: Slower than usual - Your Pokémon cannot evolve by any other method other than level up / friendship + 5.
    Trainer Rule: The correct time period - You may only battle one segment's final gym leader with Pokémon caught in that segment. Once you get this rule, you can choose during which segment it will apply. Completed in segment #4

Onward to gym #4! I can only afford a couple of Ultra Balls, but I did manage to win one Ultra Ball at the Goldenrod Lottery, yay! I carefully weigh my options on what I can catch because of the Fast Catches rule. Between the below options, Raticate with Bite & Sucker Punch sounds like a winner! I also pick up a Koffing from Burned Tower (unaffected by Fast Catches rule) to satisfy the Towards the new future rule. Koffing learned Assurance (handy Dark type move) at level 15 and Self-Destruct at level 19. After much training, I use these two new captures for The correct time period rule against Gym Leader Morty.
    Here was the Gym Battle:
    Spoiler:

Most Common Pokemon in Each Available Area:
    Spoiler:

Future 16 Action : I would like to move to Future 19.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Update 5: Koga​
    Global Rules
    • Towards the new future - You have to put a Fairy-type Pokémon (or Pokémon that turns into a Fairy-type in later gens) on your team until the end of the game. It has to use Explosion or any of its variants (or if it can't learn any, then it has to use its strongest attack) in each Gym Battle. It's not affected by any other rule.
    • Sounds sort of like a... - Players of Team Apricorns have to put a Pokémon with type combination of Rock and Ground (either Rock/Ground or Ground/Rock) on their team for the following segemnt. If you can't, you have to put pure Rock or pure Ground-type Pokémon on your team for the following segment. This Pokémon is unaffected by all other rules.
    Needs to grab a Clefairy, Jigglypuff, or Mr. Mime for the Fairy type. Also needs a Geodude.

Personal rules
    • The future is now, old man! - All of your Pokémon must learn all new moves via level-up (or HMs if strictly needed to progress).
    • The 12 Monkeys - You have to put at least one Rock-type Pokémon on your team for this segment.
    • Back to square one - Consider the number of badges you own: subtract 3 from that number, then consider all the areas of the game that are accessible to you if you still were at that number of badges. You can only use Pokémon you can find in those areas, or their evolutions.
    • The Big Bang - You must use Explosion or its variations at least once during each segment's final battle (if you have no way to have a Pokémon of yours learn these moves, you can ignore this rule).
    • The Butterfly Effect - You have to put at least one Bug-type Pokémon on your team for this segment.

Accesses a Pokemon with Explosion now (Geodude). Already needed one, so all the better. Also needs a Bug for this segment.

New team member round-up:

1. Clefairy. Says strongest move. Means Hyper Beam for all three (or Focus Punch). Buys that in Celadon City. Prefers getting the same-type attack bonus. Picked up a Moon Stone a while back, fortunately.

1st Clefairy: Bad Attack stat (for Hyper Beam) and eh IVs.
    2nd Clefairy: Great Attack stat, but a sum of 61 IVs.
    3rd Clefairy: 131 combined IVs, including 27 Attack IVs. Neutral nature. Done.

Named the third one "Turret" :t035:. Self-destructs if you take too long.

2. Geodude. Must know Self Destruct or Explosion. Could swap it out for Voltorb later (after Sabrina). Eh.

Went with the original Rubble :t074: here, despite being 7 levels lower. Will probably continue using it. Has a poor nature (+Special Attack / -Defense), but great overall IVs (combined 132).

3. Caterpie. Satisfies the Bug type. Picks up Psybeam at 34 and Confusion before that as Butterfree. Helps against Koga.

Chose the 133 combined IVs one. Caught two different Caterpies with perfect Attack IVs. Will mainly use special moves (Confusion, Psybeam), though. Chose the Sassy one over the +Attack nature one. Named it "Scarab" :t010:.
    _____

And now for a grind. Needs to level up a level 8, 9, and 10 about twenty levels. Requires 50 Pokemon for the Experience Share too. Is at 12.

Brought everyone up to around 30. Took on the Rocket Hideout under the Game Corner. Missed two Hyper Beams in a row, distressingly. Beat Giovanni no problem.

Grabbed the Eevee. Adamant nature. Not great. Thought about late-game Vaporeon previously. Revises that line of thinking. (Looking at IVs: 70 total, with 30 in Speed and 3 in Special Attack. Big nope.)

Climbed Pokemon Tower no problem, thanks to Scarab :t012: and Psybeam. Caught Snorlax just because. Skipped most of the trainers along Cycling Road. Is probably way overlev--level 38 Hypno on the first trainer. Jumped from level 29 aces to 38 on a random gym trainer.

Decided to clear out Silph Co. Met Lavos there. Seems to be about right on level.
    Spoiler: Lavos in Silph Co

Turn 1: Pidgeot :t018:: Wing Attack (105/114) / Rubble :t074:: Defense Curl
    Turn 2: Pidgeot :t018:: Feather Dance / Rubble :t074:: Rollout (miss)
    Turn 3: Rubble :t074:: Switch to Turret :t036: / Pidgeot :t018:: Wing Attack (95/123) (Turret's Cute Charm)
    Turn 4: Pidgeot :t018:: Wing Attack (64/123) / Turret :t036: Hyper Beam (75%)
    Turn 5: Pidgeot :t018:: Immobilized / Turret :t036: Recharging
    Turn 6: Pidgeot :t018:: Wing Attack (7/123) / Turret :t036: Hyper Beam (the rest)
    (Level up. Switch to Scarab :t012:. Gyarados's :t130: Intimidate.)
    Turn 7: Scarab :t012:: Sleep Powder / Gyarados :t130:: Asleep
    Turn 8: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (critical, 40%) / Gyarados :t130:: Asleep
    Turn 9: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (15%) / Gyarados :t130:: Dragon Rage (65/105)
    Turn 10: Scarab :t012:: Sleep Powder / Gyarados :t130:: Asleep
    Turn 11: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (15%) / Gyarados :t130:: Asleep
    Turn 12: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (15%) / Gyarados :t130:: Asleep
    Turn 13: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (the rest)
    (Switch to Rubble :t074:.)
    Turn 14: Charizard :t006:: Smokescreen / Rubble :t074:: Rollout (80%)
    Turn 15: Charizard :t006:: Flamethrower (51/114) / Rubble :t074:: Rollout (the rest)
    (Switch to Bellbird.)
    Turn 16: Bellbird :t018:: Wing Attack (80%) / Exeggcute :t102:: Stun Spore (miss)
    Turn 17: Bellbird :t018:: Wing Attack (the rest)
    (Switch to Grimling :t020:.)
    Turn 18: Grimling :t020:: Hyper Fang (97%) / Alakazam :t065:: Reflect
    Turn 19: Grimling :t020:: Quick Attack (the rest)

Not too terrible. Really needs better answers for Lavos's team at the end of the game, however.

Oh, right. Forgot about the free Lapras from Silph Co. (Only said a Sevii Island spot in Serebii.) Unlocks after Blaine. ...But wait, who cares? 48 total IVs (6, 6, 18, 4, 10, 4)? Ew.

Spoiler: Silph Co Giovanni

Turn 1: Switch to Scarab :t012: / Nidorino :t033:: Fury Attack (5 hits, 71/105)
    Turn 2: Scarab :t012:: Sleep Powder / Nidorino :t033:: Asleep
    Turn 3: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (60%) / Nidorino :t033:: Asleep
    Turn 4: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (the rest)
    (Switch to Ayla :t057:)
    Turn 5: Ayla :t057:: Cross Chop (90%) / Rhyhorn :t111:: Fury Attack (3 hits with 1 crit, 75/103)
    Turn 6: Ayla :t057:: Karate Chop (the rest)
    Turn 7: Kangaskhan: Fake Out (50/103) / Ayla :t057:: Flinched
    Turn 8: Ayla :t057:: Cross Chop (miss) / Kangaskhan :t115:: Tail Whip
    Turn 9: Ayla :t057:: Switch to Rubble :t076: / Kangaskhan :t115:: Mega Punch (100/114)
    Turn 10: Kangaskhan :t115:: Mega Punch (85/114) / Rubble :t076:: Defense Curl
    Turn 11: Kangaskhan :t115:: Mega Punch (76/114) / Rubble :t076:: Rollout (30%)
    Turn 12: Kangaskhan :t115:: Mega Punch (66/114) / Rubble :t076:: Rollout (68%)
    Turn 13: Kangaskhan :t115:: Mega Punch (56/114) / Rubble :t076:: Rollout (miss)
    Turn 14: Kangaskhan :t115:: Tail Whip / Rubble :t076:: Magnitude 7 (critical, the rest)
    Turn 15: Nidoqueen :t031:: Body Slam (40ish/114) / Rubble :t076:: Self Destruct (100%)

Ended with a bang for fun. Inflicts a lot of damage, apparently.

Stops you from sleeping in the Silph Co bed after beating Team Rocket? Boooo. Take it back over.

Made some tough move choices:
    • Rubble :t076:: Rock Blast OR Defense Curl + Rollout? Really hates the 80% accuracy of Rock Blast. Cannot learn Rock Slide either (thanks to a rule). ...Sticking with Rollout.
    • Ayla :t057:: Cross Chop or Scratch. Hits way harder. What about for all the Zubats of the world? ...Seismic Toss, actually. Hates the low PP too. Picks Cross Chop anyways.

Falls shy on levels (36-39 versus Koga's 43 Weezing :t110:) after all that. Cleared the routes east of Fuchsia City. Brought everyone to 39. ...Good enough? Nabbed a little more from the gym trainers.

Strategy: Needs to Self Destruct with Rubble :t076: AND Hyper Beam/Focus Punch something with Turret :t036:. Leads with Scarab :t012: for Psybeam. Remembers Koga's Muk :t089: being a lucky jerk in Yellow. Hopes for redemption here.
    Spoiler: Koga

Turn 1: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (100%) / Koffing :t109:: Fainted
    (Switch to Rubble)
    Turn 2: Rubble :t076:: Self Destruct (100%) / Muk :t089:: Fainted
    Turn 3: Scarab :t012:: Psybeam (100%) / Koffing :t109:: Fainted
    (Level up. Switch to Turret.)
    Turn 4: Turret :t036:: Hyper Beam (miss) / Weezing :t110:: Toxic
    (Toxic damage to 125/133)
    Turn 5: Turret :t036:: Hyper Beam (49%) / Weezing :t110:: Smokescreen
    (Toxic damage to 109/133)
    Turn 6: Turret :t036:: Recharging / Weezing :t110:: Smokescreen
    (Toxic damage to 85/133)
    Turn 7: Turret :t036:: Switch to Scarab :t012: / Weezing :t110:: Sludge (critical, 11/110)
    Turn 8: Scarab :t012:: Sleep Powder / Weezing :t110:: Asleep
    Turn 9: Scarab :t012:: Switch to Turret / Weezing :t110:: Full Heal
    Turn 10: Turret :t036:: Hyper Beam (49%) / Weezing :t110:: Smokescreen
    (Toxic damage to 61/133)
    Turn 11: Weezing: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / Turret: Recharging
    Turn 12: Turret :t036:: Switch to Bellbird :t018: / Weezing :t110:: Sludge (82/122)
    (Poison damage to 67/122)
    Turn 13: Bellbird :t018:: Feather Dance / Weezing :t110:: Sludge (critical, 0/122)
    Turn 14: Grimling :t020:: Focus Energy / Weezing :t110:: Toxic
    (Toxic damage to 99/105)
    Turn 15: Grimling :t020:: Hyper Fang (30%) / Weezing :t110:: Smokescreen
    (Toxic damage to 87/105)
    Turn 16: Grimling :t020:: Hyper Fang (miss) / Weezing :t110:: Smokescreen
    (Toxic damage to 69/105)
    Turn 17: Grimling :t020:: Hyper Fang (miss) / Weezing :t110:: Smokescreen
    (Toxic damage to 45/105)
    Turn 18: Grimling :t020:: Switch to Ayla / Weezing :t110:: Sludge (91/114)
    Turn 19: Ayla :t057:: Seismic Toss (40%) / Weezing :t110:: Smokescreen
    Turn 20: Ayla :t057:: Switch to Turret :t036: / Weezing :t110:: Sludge (16/133)
    (Toxic damage to 8/133)
    Turn 21: Turret :t036:: Hyper Beam (the rest)

Misremembered. Got wrecked by Venomoth last time (level advantage + Double Teams + criticals on 4 of 6 attacks). Admits showboating a little here. Wanted Turret :t036: to get the Hyper Beam kill. Really needed just one extra level. Also avoided using items, unlike some unnamed ninjas.

Kind of enjoyed using Turret :t036:, also. Swaps out easily after Hyper Beaming with Switch mode (assuming a knockout). Managed to Focus Punch some birds thanks to misses and Cute Charm too.

Should be a quick update next time, barring leveling up a bunch more Pokemon.

Current team: :t018::t020::t036::t076::t057::t012:
    Edit: Oh, and a trainer card.
    Spoiler: Trainer Card

Action: Look at the signs and sift through the boxes. Then move to Past 9.

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    User Cubeth's Time Traveling Adventures

Game: Pocket Monster Fire Red Version (2004) for the Gameboy Advance

Rules:
    Spoiler:

Global Rules:
    Spoiler:

Part 4:

After beating Gym Leader Lieutenant Surge from the United States, I backtracked a bit to catch a Meowth to teach the Hidden Machine 01: Cut I got from the Steamship Anne. I named him Judge because of Mortis Ghost's Indie RPG, OFF, from the year 2008, but later on changed his name to Valerie, also because of Mortis Ghost's Indie RPG, OFF, from the year 2008.

After grinding for a few hours, and also getting some money for no good reason the moment Valerie learned Pay Day, I was ready to move to Rock Tunnel, except I was not ready because I also needed to get the Hidden Machine 05: Flash, so I backtracked again to Diglett Cave, and then to Pewter City, and then to Mt. Moon to catch a Clefairy, since I can only use Fighting and Fairy Types and add at least one Normal Type to the team, that one being Valerie. I also found a shiny Zubat in Mt. Moon, who I caught, named Green, and immediately boxed, since at the moment I have no use for her.

Anyways. I taught Fairy the Clefairy the Hidden Machine 05: Flash, grinded a bit in nugget bridge, and finally headed to---- checks rules ah...

Yea, you see, since I took a hiatus for like two years from the challenge, I had to check the rules again to see what was up now and oh good oh gee, do I have to backtrack again to get a Geodude now. Whatever, her name is Rock. I also caught an Abra so I could trade it for Mimien the Mr. Mime, who I'll use as my permanent Fairy type, since he's more based and poggers than Clefairy.

All right. With everyone leveled up, Miranda and Valerie evolved. Rock also did, and then I fully evolved her by trading her with a Leaf Green save I had beforehand, something I almost immediately regreted, because Golem has probably the ugliest sprite in the whole game. I reached Lavender Town, boxed Fairy to keep Cranberry company forever, and fought Mr. Rival Poop again, in what's probably the most misunderstood battle in the whole franchise, and also the one that ruined a whole generation of Pocket Monster players just because of some dumbass rat. He also called me a :stinky: when he lost.

After the battle, I changed Valerie's name and headed to Celadon City, where I took team Rocket, and that's also where the realization of being very overleveled finally hit me, because Mimien started being a bit of an asshole and ignored my orders.

Done with Team Rocket and the Silph Scope, I figured I did enough already for this segment, so I just challenged Grass Type Gym Leader Erika, in perhaps the funniest battle ever. See, Mimien's moves are Reflect, Light Screen, Substitute and Psybeam. When I instructed Mimien to use Psybeam, he sometimes ignored me and picked whatever other move he knew. The one time Mimien picked Substitue was against Erika, and would you know? Erika's Pokémon won't attack if the Pokémon on your side isn't statused, which means she never attacked because the powder move she used would always fail because of the Substitute, so basically Erika was throwing Stun Spore and Poison Powder at the Substitute, while I waited for Mimien to give a shit and throw his one attacking move to one shot every Pocket Monster of hers.

With that said and done, I figure it's time for me to keep moving and head to Future 6.

Last edited:

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • (copy-pasta'd then edited for my convenience)

What you want to do on the map: Not really sure what I can do honestly... I'd say move in the direction of the closest thing on the map that I can interact with.

Let's rock and roll.
    Edit: After an annoying walk through the pitch black rock tunnel, I finally brought down Erika.

My Pokemon for those who care:
    Spoiler:

Edit: Got my new rules and I'm ready to go! 👍
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

kpac_xjinx

XJinX
    Years
  • So this is where the journey starts! I have played gen 3 hoenn games many times but never completed them, although I did complete some rom hacks based on them
    Starting off!

Note: Nothing really significant. Barely defeated my rival. Just an update because I got too many screenshots. Can be skipped.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yay, we have a new Global rule!

Arcaneum: Wow, you did something!
    Alex_Among_Foxes: You touched the time machine and got teleported. I aimed for Future 3, but I'm editing this on mobile, so you'll probably end up sonewhere else.

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Quick question, what happens if we can't finish the challenge by the end of the get-together? With my work schedule and the rate I'm playing, I expect to be done in early September, well within the one month that events usually last for, but the get-together ends on August 27th and I'll end up too burned out to enjoy it if I rush through to make the deadline.

I do really like this challenge and I'd like to eventually complete it, even if it doesn't give any more points for Team Gears, so perhaps we could close new applications and move this thread to the Challenges forum after the get-together finishes? A deadline of September 12th, to match with the one month deadline for other events, should be more than enough for me.

Last edited:

tenthcompanion

Glass Cannon
    Years
  • My next segment was quick and easy. I had to add a normal type to my team so I just replaced Rhyhorn with Wooloo (later Dubwool). I made it to Ballonlea with this team: G. Weezing, Hattena, Gastrodon, Pangoro, Comfey and Dubwool.

I took care of Opal with only Weezing and Gastrodon. I actually used Gastrodon to KO her Alcremie since it had so many stat boosts from the gym challenge quiz questions! I choose not to box either of these Pokémon for points though, since I need Weezing for the global rule and I just like having a Gastrodon. Gym 5 complete!

As for where I am on the map, I think I was trying to fiddle with the somethings on the wall in Future 7? Not sure if anything came of that. I'll move to uh… Future 6? Honestly I can't remember if the items in here have been messed with or not. There are so many posts to look through

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • (copy-pasta'd then edited for my convenience)

What you want to do on the map: Either fiddle around with a thing, or move in the direction of the nearest un-messed with thing!

Edit: After a quick clear of Rocket Corner, & a Clefable + Psychic sweep of Lavender Tower, I made my way to Koga and blitz'd his team like they were nothing.

My Pokemon for those who care:
    Clefable, lvl 42, current moves: Psychic, Sing, Brick Break, Hyper Beam. (you won't be seeing these moves change again, due to TMs being banned)
    Ivysaur, lvl 29, current moves: Cut, Poison Power, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf. Released right after Koga fight for points.
    Raichu, lvl 21, current moves: Shock Wave, Brick Break, Quick Attack, Mega Punch. Released right after Koga fight for points.
    Mankey, lvl 27, current moves: Fury Swipes, Thief, Karate Chop, Rock Tomb. Released right after Koga fight for points.
    Dugtrio, lvl 29, current moves: Magnitude, Fury Swipes, Dig, Aerial Ace.
    Drowzee, lvl 13, current moves: (only caught because of rules, ditching at earliest convenience) Released right after Koga fight for points.

Edit: Got my new rules and I'm ready to go! 👍
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Segment 1 finished
    Global rules applied:
    Prehistoric age (can only use grass and nornal type pokemon)
    Towards a new era (must catch a fairy type and use its strongest move in every gym battle -> Azurill, Water Gun)

Team:
    Azurill, 9->10
    Thick Fat
    Splash -> Charm
    Water Sport
    Water Gun
    Tail Whip

Dunsparce, 7->10
    Serene Grace
    Rage
    Defense Curl
    Rollout
    Spite->Pursuit

Fletchling, 7
    Big Pecks
    Tackle
    Quick Attack
    Growl
    ------

Chespin,11
    Overgrow
    Bite
    Growl
    Vine Whip
    Rollout

Santaluna Gym Battle:
    Lead with Azurill for compulsory water gun, then sweep through Surskit(10) and Vivillion(12) with Dunsparce Rollout

Time played:
    1:00

Last edited:
    Back