• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated Video Games?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Underrated Video Games?

What sorts of video games do you feel that are underrated, and why? Would you recommend them to others? What are your experiences with those games? Discuss!

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I think more people should give the Legacy of Kain series a try. It doesn't get a lot of attention and is definitely in my top-two with BioShock. It's one of the few games to legitimately scare me (I laugh in the nonexistent face of games like Slender! Hah!) Overall I'd say it's the best piece of vampire-centric media one could ask for.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
    Descent (series)...if PC games count. Any will do. Albeit made in the mid-90's, it didn't receive a lot of popularity despite Freespace 2 being labeled one of the best space-sim games of all time. For someone who is a big fan of flight simulator games, these are the way to go. As of now, there are campaign mods out there with aesthetic graphics, so on a more positive note, it's better than what it used to be.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Zero Escape series.
    That series could have the best writing I have seen in the games but it's not that known and people may usually avoid it because they could think it's just another JP game.

Years
    Zero Escape series.
    That series could have the best writing I have seen in the games but it's not that known and people may usually avoid it because they could think it's just another JP game.

I'm looking to getting that sometime down the road for the 3DS. Looks like a decent game (:

Eternal Sonata was the first game that came to mind. It has beautiful artwork, and an equally amazing soundtrack with it. Considering that it encompasses a musical kind of theme, it was quite appealing to me, and in conjunction with the gorgeous settings, the game was great. Too bad it's deeply under appreciated, and probably not well-known amongst mainstream players now and even back when it was released \:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    It wasn't underrated for it's time but since since then it's been easily forgotten and overlooked: Illusion of Gaia/Time.

TY

The game that comes to my mind right now is Rise of Nations. It is basically a forgotten RTS game right now and that is a pure shame. This game is easily one of the best RTS games with a ton of resource management and it's a shame it died to the more popular RTS games like StarCraft and the C&C series.

Yukari

I'd have to say Boktai. I really liked the game but I don't think that it got all the recognition it deserved... :(

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Knights in the Nightmare

This bullet-hell SRPG is a hidden gem of the DS (and PSP), that was just absolutely great. Alongside a kick ass soundtrack, the gameplay for this game isn't something you can shrug off. As said before, it's a bullet hell SRPG. So, you are going to be needing to be dodging bullets while commanding your soldiers in real time, I know it sounds somewhat tedious, but trust me it's pure fun mixed in with mayhem.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC

PLAY IT. PLAY IT. This is such an amazing RPG, I don't even know where to begin. The writing of the game is fantastic, the soundtrack is great, the characters are likable, and battle system isn't too bad as well.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Vanquish (Xbox 360)

Besides the really bad voice acting - and I mean really bad - the game was really innovative when it came out. It's a third person-sci fi shooter that specializes on combat where you can slow down time and also propel yourself foward at lightning speeds to take advantage of the battle. The graphics are great, the sound clips are amazing, and that boss battle at the end...oh man, let me just say I'll let you experience that sheer awesomeness for yourself.

Fun Fact: I was looking up information on the game, and I guess it had won an award from GamesRadar for the Most "Oh ♥♥♥♥" Moments Per Minute. Who knew xD

Years
    You may think this is just typical, but the Kingdom Hearts series. Some may think it's overrated, but from my experience, i'd have to say it's underrated. All my friends hate the thought of it. "How old are you?", they will say. "It's freaking Disney! That can't be fun". Maybe it's just one of those games that you had to play as a kid to really appreciate? I don't know? Does anybody feel the same way?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC

PLAY IT. PLAY IT. This is such an amazing RPG, I don't even know where to begin. The writing of the game is fantastic, the soundtrack is great, the characters are likable, and battle system isn't too bad as well.
    YES! But not only first one! Since XSEED is gonna release SC soon the second one is a must!
    Tits is also my favorite series =) Great choice, Eri! Eh... I mean, Arc!

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    When it comes to underrated video games, Legend of Kay is the first one that comes to my mind. Nobody in my life seems to know about the game.

Legend of Kay is about a young cat warrior named Kay, who needs to save his island from a gorilla dictator and his army of gorillas. You start off with a sword, but later on, you can also get claws and hammers as alternative weapons.

Years

You should give a try to 999 as well. It's DS version that servers as prequel to the Virtue's Last Reward.
    There is third game in planning but since it's not taken well even in JP, the budget is not big enough... :(

I've heard about that one as well! Though initially I didn't give it a second look because I tend to judge games by it's cover unless I know the series x: But it's gotten good reviews and scores so I might as well check out some gameplay before deciding to add it to my ever growing wish list XD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I've heard about that one as well! Though initially I didn't give it a second look because I tend to judge games by it's cover unless I know the series x: But it's gotten good reviews and scores so I might as well check out some gameplay before deciding to add it to my ever growing wish list XD
    It's a classical choice based visual novel with escape the room features.
    Well... both ZE are. =D

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I still feel like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is underrated.
    I'm sorry Amnesia, I loved you and your predecessor Penumbra, but you just can't beat the sanity loss effects of Eternal Darkness.
    Spoilers for a reason. =p
    Spoiler:

Another I'd like to mention is Skies of Arcadia: Legends. You can fly an airship to the moon. I don't need to say any more.
    The remake specifically only because the encounter rate was lowered, making it a little more playable, imo. Some regions that were particularly difficult to navigate were just too heavily populated on the DC version, you didn't get any breathing room.

Back