• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Telemetius

Tele*
Years
This is something I noticed that exists in v16, but exists as far back as v14. Overworld sprites only cycle frames 1 and 2 when animating. An example of it doing so is in this gif.
n8KP2aO.gif

And here's what the spritesheet looks like.
tu2nuex.png

As you can see, it's entirely skipping the fourth frame, but it's also skipping frame 3 - I discovered that when I labeled the sprites on a hunch.
This also isn't a case of lag either, because the player sprite animates perfectly when walking - assuming the player is using it. I also tested the player sprite as an npc, and it also skips frames 3 and 4 when it's an NPC.
I checked to make sure it wasn't just my game that was bugging out, because I use v14, so I loaded an unmodified v16 and it does it there as well. I also tested it on Amethyst's Pokemon Reborn, and it's present in that as well, meaning the bug has been present in the system for quite some time now.

Honestly, for a long time, I've always had issues with the overworld sprite movement, but I could never figure out what it was that was ticking me off. I finally understand now that this is what's been subtly catching my eye, and I can report it, in the hopes that it gets fixed.

I've been struggling with this bug since version 15.1, every dependent event will move using frames 1-2-1-2 instead of 1-2-3-4. I hope it'll get the attention it deserves.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I've been struggling with this bug since version 15.1, every dependent event will move using frames 1-2-1-2 instead of 1-2-3-4. I hope it'll get the attention it deserves.

My friend has a proposed 'fix', but it's very quirk and works very weirdly. Though, there is more information about the bug before I post the fix.

mde2001 said:
I'll note that this doesn't occur on NPC events that are set to slowest, but does on the others. It isn't a consistent skipping either as occasionally it will play the 3rd and 4th (at least on some speeds).

So, with that in mind, the fix my friend made is absolutely not ideal, but it does work if you keep event speeds unaltered. Though, again, it has some very very weird quirks.

You can fix this bug by opening the scripts and doing a Ctrl+Shift+F Search for anything from this segment (In V14 of Essentials, it's in Game_Character_2, V16 should just be Game_Character).
Code:
    if @walk_anime
      @anime_count += 1.5
    elsif @step_anime
      @anime_count += 1
    end
If you change the "@anime_count += 1.5" to something like, 2.5, it'll make it so the sprites animate all 4 frames when walking. The unfortunate downside is, this also affects the player sprite. This makes it look like the player is running in slow-motion whenever they walk. So it's not the most ideal fix. I would love to see someone look into it more, and actually find a fix that makes it so the player character is unaltered, and it accounts for the varying speeds of NPCs.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
I've noticed this problem since v13, so it's been around for a while, or else is a bug with RPGMaker itself.

Having done some experimentation, it seems to be an issue with how move routes are evaluated, in that there is a slight pause between each command (e.g. Move Down) and the next. If the "stop animation" button is checked, meaning that the animation plays regardless of whether the event is moving, it uses all four frames, but otherwise it plays the animation during that first step, gets halfway through before the event stops moving, then restarts it for the next step. The reason why it works for the "slowest" setting most of the time is that the event moves slow enough that it can finish all four frames of animation in the time it takes to get from one square to the next, i.e. the event actually takes two steps for each "Move" command.

One solution would be to somehow have a move route command to move two (or x) squares in a row in the same direction, but I'm not sure how or where that would be coded.

EDIT: I think I have come up with a fix. The issue is that the animation starts over with every step taken. To prevent that from happening, go to the script section Game_Character (in v16), in the definition for update_stop. Replace the line

Code:
@pattern=@original_pattern

(around line 313) with

Code:
@pattern=@original_pattern if @pattern != 2

This makes it so the animation only resets if it is either interrupted mid-step, or goes through the full two steps in any direction.

Last edited:

Telemetius

Tele*
Years
I've noticed this problem since v13, so it's been around for a while, or else is a bug with RPGMaker itself.

Having done some experimentation, it seems to be an issue with how move routes are evaluated, in that there is a slight pause between each command (e.g. Move Down) and the next. If the "stop animation" button is checked, meaning that the animation plays regardless of whether the event is moving, it uses all four frames, but otherwise it plays the animation during that first step, gets halfway through before the event stops moving, then restarts it for the next step. The reason why it works for the "slowest" setting most of the time is that the event moves slow enough that it can finish all four frames of animation in the time it takes to get from one square to the next, i.e. the event actually takes two steps for each "Move" command.

One solution would be to somehow have a move route command to move two (or x) squares in a row in the same direction, but I'm not sure how or where that would be coded.

EDIT: I think I have come up with a fix. The issue is that the animation starts over with every step taken. To prevent that from happening, go to the script section Game_Character (in v16), in the definition for update_stop. Replace the line

Code:
@pattern=@original_pattern

(around line 313) with

Code:
@pattern=@original_pattern if @pattern != 2

This makes it so the animation only resets if it is either interrupted mid-step, or goes through the full two steps in any direction.

Wow, just WOW!
I have no idea what @pattern does but my dependent event is now correctly walking :D

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I've come up with a better fix, which will be in the next version of Essentials. It's not ideal, coding-wise, but oddities in the animation aren't noticeable unless you have an event moving at speed 1, which would be highly unusual (walking speed is 3) - and even then, there's only a small glitch.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2016
in the section PField_Field there are two unnecessary # in lines 1336 and 1340 that prevent soot grass tiles with tag 14 from being deleted after stepping on them and it caused a grass rustling animation for some reason, although not having a grass tile underneath it:

Code:
Events.onStepTakenFieldMovement+=proc{|sender,e|
  event=e[0] # Get the event affected by field movement
  thistile=$MapFactory.getRealTilePos(event.map.map_id,event.x,event.y)
  map=$MapFactory.getMap(thistile[0])
  sootlevel=-1
  for i in [2, 1, 0]
    tile_id = map.data[thistile[1],thistile[2],i]
    next if tile_id == nil
    if map.terrain_tags[tile_id] &&
       map.terrain_tags[tile_id]==PBTerrain::SootGrass
      sootlevel=i
      break
    end
  end
  if sootlevel>=0 && hasConst?(PBItems,:SOOTSACK)
    $PokemonGlobal.sootsack=0 if !$PokemonGlobal.sootsack
[S-HIGHLIGHT]#    map.data[thistile[1],thistile[2],sootlevel]=0[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    if event==$game_player && $PokemonBag.pbQuantity(:SOOTSACK)>0
      $PokemonGlobal.sootsack+=1
    end
[S-HIGHLIGHT]#    $scene.createSingleSpriteset(map.map_id)[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
  end
}
deleting the # seems to solve the problem

Maruno

Years
Those lines were commented out intentionally as they caused visual problems with dependent events. I don't understand your remark about the grass rustling animation - are you surprised that walking in tall grass causes it to rustle? Sooty grass is itself tall grass, you know.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2016
sry i wasn't aware of this dependent event glitch, all i wanted to do is to report that the tiles with terrain tag 14 are not deleted when stepped onto. i am sure someone more skilled than me can think of a way to fix this visual problems you have mentioned without stopping the tiles from working properly

btw i wanted to use terrain tag 14 for snow that gets removed and has rock or dirt underneath it instead of grass, that's why i hoped the the rustling animation was caused by the grass tile below the soot tile, not the soot tile itself (that's how i understood it from the essentials wiki)

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I've come up with a better fix, which will be in the next version of Essentials. It's not ideal, coding-wise, but oddities in the animation aren't noticeable unless you have an event moving at speed 1, which would be highly unusual (walking speed is 3) - and even then, there's only a small glitch.

What exactly is the fix, out of curiosity? A few other people and I would like to know, as our current "fix" is very... well, lacking, and we'd like something marginally more consistent. Especially if it's an official fix.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
Hey, I have been playing my game and the move Bug Bite always brings up this error, could someone please fix this and the last error I posted please.

---------------------------
Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `ret' for #<PokeBattle_Move_0F4:0xaf8b6b0>
PokeBattle_MoveEffects:6851:in `pbEffectAfterHit'
PokeBattle_Battler:2841:in `pbProcessMoveAgainstTarget'
PokeBattle_Battler:3149:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:3129:in `loop'
PokeBattle_Battler:3152:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:3348:in `pbProcessTurn'
PokeBattle_Battler:3347:in `logonerr'
PokeBattle_Battler:3347:in `pbProcessTurn'
PokeBattle_Battle:2944:in `pbAttackPhase'
PokeBattle_Battle:2941:in `each'
Alright. So what you need to to is to go into PokeBattle_MoveEffects and when you find the code for Bug Bite, scroll down to where you see "return ret" and just delete the "ret". After that, it should work like normal.

Backburner26

Pokemon Lavender Spirit Creator
Years
Thanks Yoshi! Does anyone know how to fix my healing item problem? Its kind of a game breaking thing for me personally.

Years
Maruno, there is a little error in PokeBattle_BattlerEffects.
The original line 28:
Code:
if attacker.hasMoldBreaker || !hasWorkingAbility(:SOUNDPROOF)

With the corrected one:
Code:
if (attacker && attacker.hasMoldBreaker) || !hasWorkingAbility(:SOUNDPROOF)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
There's an error that pops up randomly. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often enough to be annoying. Sometimes when I use a healing item, this error pops up:
Code:
Exception: NoMethodError

PokeBattle_Battle:1606:in `pbRegisterItem'

PokeBattle_Battle:2814:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2762:in `loop'

PokeBattle_Battle:2859:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2751:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battle:2751:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2699:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:2698:in `logonerr'

PokeBattle_Battle:2698:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:2688:in `loop'
I believe it has something to do with this line in pbRegisterItem:

if idxTarget!=nil && idxTarget>=0 && @battlers[idxTarget].effects[PBEffects::Embargo]>0

However... I'm not sure what needs to be changed.

Maruno

Years
There's an error that pops up randomly. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often enough to be annoying. Sometimes when I use a healing item, this error pops up:
I have no Idea how this started happening, but the healing items started bugging out. basically I would Go into battle and when my pokemon gets hurt, I would use a healing item. That would work normally. Its when I heal any other pokemon that was not my first pokemon after switching pokemon is when it bugs up and shows this error message.
These are the same error. It's not random; it's you using an item on a Pokémon that isn't in battle. It's known, and has been fixed in the next version of Essentials.

Backburner26

Years
These are the same error. It's not random; it's you using an item on a Pokémon that isn't in battle. It's known, and has been fixed in the next version of Essentials.

THANK YOU! This bug has pretty much killed my momentum on my project! Thanks so much!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
Hello, Found a bug and an error.
The first is with surfing. I couldn't take a picture, because I have no clue where the screenshots get saved to. But it's easy to recreate. In the example game that comes with Essentials, go to Route 8 with a pokemon that can use surf. Then, wait until the male swimmer moves to the water beside the shore, so the player can stand in front or beside him. Press C while facing him and the game will ask you to surf. Accept that, then the swimmer will talk. After all the textboxes are closed, the player will be in their surfing animation on land. The bug corrects itself when you surf into the water then back on land.

The other is just a spelling mistake in the Mystery Gift. When you cancel it says "Stop editng this gift?", missing the i in editing.

EDIT: I found where the pictures get saved to. This is what the first bug looks like.

Attachments

• capture003.png
    capture003.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 20
  • capture004.png
    capture004.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 21
  • capture005.png
    capture005.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 20
  • capture006.png
    capture006.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 27, 2016
i've noticed that the partner trainer works no more in version 1.6... the partner will follow you correctly, but will not partecipate in battles and randomly disappears!!

Maruno

Years
i've noticed that the partner trainer works no more in version 1.6... the partner will follow you correctly, but will not partecipate in battles and randomly disappears!!
The partner trainer will not participate in all battles. They won't help you out in single trainer battles, because it's unfair for the two of you to gang up on a single opposing trainer. If two other trainers spot you at the same time, then it's a four-way. And there are other scenarios I won't bother listing.

If the partner trainer doesn't appear in battle when they really should, then give specifics about what kind of battle it is that they're absent from. Partner trainers seem to work fine for me.

Backburner26

Years
Hey Maruno, Do you have a timeframe for when the next update is? Also do you have a fix for my Evolutionary Stones problem I have?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Updated my game to v16.1 and noticed that there seems to be an offset for all tiles placed on layer 3, leaving a gap a few pixels tall on the bottom and right of the tile. It looks like these tiles are being shifted up and to the left some.

Back