• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: TL's Quick Enhancer (~Making rom hacking faster and easier)

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
While people are correct in saying that the things this tool does are very easy to do by hand in a hex editor, I'd say they're tedious to do that way when you're going to want to do them for every new hack you make if you habitually restart (ahem) so this is a nice thing to have around.

It'd be helpful if your Github repository contained the project file and other resources so that others can clone it and compile it easily. As it is, if I wanted to try out your code I'd have to reconstruct the UI using only the event hooks you've left as clues to what's what.

You should also include a license statement (I'm a fan of the GPL, but there's also BSD with varying numbers of clauses, MIT and others) since as written nobody else is actually legally allowed to contribute (if you don't specify some form of licensing the default is "all rights reserved").

You've also got some blank event handlers in "My code" for clicking on labels which aren't actually needed—if you don't know how to fix that then I can do it for you once you publish the full project rather than just a couple of .cs files.

Well I understood what you said, so I will try to get to it as soon as possible :)

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Hey, nice idea! I actually do kind of support this less so for making it easier but for serving as a reminder of the features that I need to implement. And plus, it is kind of nice to just click a few buttons to add in the features that you wanted. I'd love something like this for when I finish RedChal and move on to another hack.

One issue I have, though, is that some additional features that you could possibly add would take up free space. I assume you're going to have a way to allow the user to put stuff in free space on their own accord, right? I only ask because it seems like you aren't the most experienced tool creator (which isn't a bad thing :p) and doing something like that might be difficult.

Otherwise, nice tool! I might use it when there are more features.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Python's quite easy, I left C as it didn't have OOP capabilities.... Thanks for reply :)
Well as I programming student, I have to learn it.. but its some time later... so maybe I will think about it later :P

Good Job!
Looking for future features.

Hey, nice idea! I actually do kind of support this less so for making it easier but for serving as a reminder of the features that I need to implement. And plus, it is kind of nice to just click a few buttons to add in the features that you wanted. I'd love something like this for when I finish RedChal and move on to another hack.

One issue I have, though, is that some additional features that you could possibly add would take up free space. I assume you're going to have a way to allow the user to put stuff in free space on their own accord, right? I only ask because it seems like you aren't the most experienced tool creator (which isn't a bad thing :p) and doing something like that might be difficult.

Otherwise, nice tool! I might use it when there are more features.

Well I am not experienced but trying my best :)
and thanks for inspiring :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 2, 2017
It's cool that you're learning programming by making poke-related tools, but I don't think they're really necessary.
Nothing in life (except food, water, and sleep) is necessary. its the necessities used that make the unnecessary worth creating.

All it does is change a few bytes and it takes like 5 seconds in a hex editor.
If someone thinks that's too hard, then romhacking isn't for them.

As for using a hex editor, it only takes one wrong move to render the rom unusable. This helps reduce the risk.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 15, 2020
nice little tool u got here. i know how to do most of the stuff (including the planned features) but this will make this much quicker for me :p although i didnt know u could cap the evs to 252 so thats news to me haha :D

oh just noticed in the screenshots (not really important tho) but where it says loaded game in the last one it says pokemon emerlad instead of emerald lol... i seen that and was like hmm something seems off haha

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Nothing in life (except food, water, and sleep) is necessary. its the necessities used that make the unnecessary worth creating.

As for using a hex editor, it only takes one wrong move to render the rom unusable. This helps reduce the risk.

Thank you for your wise words. I was on the wrong course in life, lost, dazzled and confused by these unworldly desires. I understand now, that whence was but aren't is.

As for the hex editor, there is a perfectly fine and working "undo" option. Not discouraging anyone from making anything though :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 2, 2017
Don't forget about .bak files, copies, and other forms of backup. ;)

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Great Job Learner. As someone who works 2 jobs, tools like this really help me out. Without them, my previous and upcoming hacks would not have been possible. Ignore Dizzy Egg; your contributions to the community are appreciated and are what makes this such an awesome community to begin with. I'd put your tools right up there with Mr.Dollsteak's Attack Rombase. ;)

nice little tool u got here. i know how to do most of the stuff (including the planned features) but this will make this much quicker for me :p although i didnt know u could cap the evs to 252 so thats news to me haha :D

oh just noticed in the screenshots (not really important tho) but where it says loaded game in the last one it says pokemon emerlad instead of emerald lol... i seen that and was like hmm something seems off haha

Don't forget about .bak files, copies, and other forms of backup. ;)

Thank you all for positive responses...

pokedude9

Creator (with Diego) of AME and ASE
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Hey mate,

thanks for this little contribution to the community! Don't be discouraged by all those self-righteous "elitists" and just keep on making tools - every beginner started ROM hacking using tools, even them. If you happen to code bigger programs, consider wrapping your BinaryReader and BinaryWriter into a proper ROM class in order to have extended functionality, plus your code is more readable.

Pokedude

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Work in progress going very well...
Its taking me some time to read the functions and make things happen properly but I am getting successfull in every step,
so Here is what I am doing:
tKJZubP.png
btJCVJY.png
S0qUOQH.png
douB25v.png

Tell me how you like these updates.. ???

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
It's cool that you're learning programming by making poke-related tools, but I don't think they're really necessary. All it does is change a few bytes and it takes like 5 seconds in a hex editor.
If someone thinks that's too hard, then romhacking isn't for them.

To be fair, be the manual modifications easy or not, nothing's easier than Open an App, the ROM, Click on X Feature and you're done, Senpai. This is also specially useful for those who usually go through FireRed every once in a while and want some Quality of Life/Up-to-date features on their ROM, you know, nothing really big.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
UPDATE2016-12-31 (UTC+05:45) 7:44

Finally got the tool look better and upgraded it so that hacker can enjoy this tool a bit,
still the tool is in its initial releases ... that means all the features are not implemented yet....
I am trying my best to get it done...

also update the first post with the attachment link... removing the old one as it totally outdated :)

The source code is around my github "here"

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
Are "catch pokemon gain exp" and "BW repel system" fully working in the latest update? I saw them on the screenshots but not when i read the first post

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Some Natures are the states of both colors (example Relaxed Def and Speed are Red , Timid Atk and Speed are Blue)
I tested on rom patched and rom clean
Thanks for the info...
I will probably look upto it :)

Are "catch pokemon gain exp" and "BW repel system" fully working in the latest update? I saw them on the screenshots but not when i read the first post
The catch pokemon exp gain is available..but only for fire red now!!
But bw repel system is not yet implemented :)

BadEgg~

Pokémon: Volant Version Developer
Years
I don't see how opening up a hex editor, using goto to go to an offset that is literally given to you in the research post, doing the small byte changes that are literally given to you in the research post, saving the file, and exiting the hex editor is weeks of nitty gritty. I could do this right now faster than downloading, unzipping, and using this program would be.

EDIT: The nitty gritty learning was done for you, by the person who researched these byte changes.

I still fail to see why there's something wrong with simplifying the process for those who just do this casually. Instead of replacing a bunch of bytes you can just apply this patch at the start of your hack with all the byte changing and image inserting done for you. It makes it more accessible for beginners, especially those who are younger.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
I still fail to see why there's something wrong with simplifying the process for those who just do this casually. Instead of replacing a bunch of bytes you can just apply this patch at the start of your hack with all the byte changing and image inserting done for you. It makes it more accessible for beginners, especially those who are younger.

Well i am thankful you are supporting this tool...
But for such people who think its not much necessary it would be good to ignore them ;)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
You know, it would be really cool if you make a force mew/deoxys obey and the transparent text box, great tool btw.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
The catch pokemon exp gain is available..but only for fire red now!!
But bw repel system is not yet implemented :)

I tried to search for those implementations in the forum for Emerald but couldn'5 find one without bugs. I would appreciate to see this tool with this features. ;)

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I (assume) English isn't your native language, so if you need help cleaning up some of your text, I'd be more than happy to help. "Running Shoes inside Applier !!!" should really just "Running Shoes Indoors." It'll look a lot more professional that way.

Back