• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite obscure Pokémon!

Years
  • So, there are lot of Pokémon out there that are well-known, like Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo, or literally any starter or version legendary Pokémon, for example, but those are far from the only Pokémon out there!

Do you have any favorite Pokémon that aren't as well-known? That some Pokémon fans may even need to be reminded of the mere existence of? Let's talk about them!

I'd say my less-publicized favorites—including their respective evolutions where applicable—are Chinchou, Surskit, Gulpin, Spoink, Corphish, Cherubi, Maractus, Karrablast, Amaura, and Carbink!

I like the designs of all of these Pokémon, really, but in the case of Surskit, Gulpin, and Corphish, I used them all in various RSE runs, and they ended up really reliable, and among my favorite team members in each file! I also had a tiny little Corphish plushie as a kid, which I loved, hehe~

In the case of Carbink, it was actually a Pokémon I discovered completely on my own without knowing about it beforehand! It seemed really rare and tough to catch, so I was sure it would evolve into something cool or at least hold some special secret… but alas, it's a single-form Pokémon with no special secrets at all, at least not in gameplay. Of course, it's still plenty charming~

I actually haven't even used all of these Pokémon—although I have used a fair amount of them—but I like them all the same!

What are some of your favorite less-talked-about Pokémon? Do you have any stories to share about why you like them?

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    My top favorites like Smeargle, Shuckle and Dunsparce are pretty obscure to non pokemon fans. I like Qwilfish as well which is forgotten by many. Skarmory and Heracross are kinda obscure, but they're pretty popular relative to Dunsparce or Qwilfish.

Years
    • Seen today
    I have a lot of obscure favourites. Incineroar, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Rhyperior, Seismitoad, Sigilyph, Vanilluxe, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Lanturn, Mantine, Gastrodon, Drifblim, Darmanitan, Exeggutor, Dodrio, Venomoth, and maybe more.

Years
  • If you consider Sableye obscure, then Sableye is my favorite obscure Pokemon.
    Here's a few others I really like though:

Sigilyph
    Heatmor
    Swalot
    Maractus
    Huntail
    Crawdaunt

Years
  • I guess how obscure a Pokemon is would be subjective, so I'm not really sure who I should include on my list. Elgyem/Beheeyem and Sigilyph are the first couple that pop into mind, and I would definitely say they're a bit more obscure. When it comes to the likes of something like the Unown, they're kind of obscure, but then again, they've been featured in on the Pokemon movies, been part of multiple sidequests in the games, despite being basically useless.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Smeargle~ Artist beagle who can learn literally any attack? Yes, please. (I know the stats kinda suck, but I love the written potential of this pokemon so much.)

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Gulpin! It's cute, loves to eat, looks like its asleep and reminds me of one of my closest friends, since we both love Gulpin.

Sirfetch’d

Castform of course! It's not as obscure as some of the previous mons mentioned since it gets a special event in the Hoenn games but overall isn't too well known. It's adorable!

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I actually like Smeargle quite a lot, I've been using it as a SOS chainer and it's very versatile. Good boi!

Sul_Silver

Please don't hit yourself in confusion... %@#$!!!
    Years
  • Absolutely love Heliolisk and (surprise!) Meowstic.
    Actually breed 2 of them for competitive Pokemon, even though they are unfortunately really low tier...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    My top three favourite Pokémon are Pachirisu, Sandshrew and Relicanth - I feel like all three of them are fairly obscure but Relicanth for sure would count. I adore how mysterious and interesting he is and the design is just so pretty and elegant. Also Water/Rock is a very cool typing and I really like his battle style of full-on assault. Such a cool Pokémon and also has such a wonderful shiny ♥

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • First of all, YESS CARBINK! My favorite Fairy type! I love its design, with the sweet little face and rabbity ears and that little happy spin it does in Amie. I love how it acts as royal guard to Diancie. I loved using one in battle, at least in the early game, where it got to set up Reflect and Stealth Rock and multiple Sharpens while attacks bounced off of it with a satisfying ting noise. I especially love how, according to its Y Pokedex entry, this cute little thing sleeps underground for hundreds of millions of years. (Is it like Jirachi, sleeping most of its life away? Or is it just so incomprehensibly old that that's a reasonable hibernation period for it? I prefer the latter.)

I like Aurorus, too - it's just so beautiful, in a way that perfectly aligns with my aesthetic. Have you ever noticed how the patterns on its skin resemble snow-covered mountains underneath a starry night sky? It blew my mind when someone pointed that out!
    Others include...
    *Doduo; I just really love the idea of conjoined twin Pokemon.
    *My favorite Bug Pokemon, Shedinja!
    *Spinda; partially because it's cute, and partly because of those nifty randomized patterns.
    *Tropius...I sort of have a deep, personal connection with it, haha
    *The Burmy line...I honestly like these bagworms better than the Pineco line v_v Deal with it
    *Drifloon; it's strange, but this Pokemon makes me feel sort of...nostalgic? I started with gen 4, and I really loved balloons as a child, so...
    *Snover and Abomasnow :3 Especially Snover. So cute!
    *Um...I used to only like Lumineon to be contrary, but somewhere along the line it became sincere. LOL
    *Deerling and Sawsbuck; they're so beautiful, and I've always loved the passage of seasons as an aesthetic.
    *Cryogonal, sort of...I don't like the execution, but the concept (a creature made of water molecules that can change states) is pretty cool.
    And finally...While my top favorite Pokemon, Victini, can't really be considered obscure (since it got its own movie and all), I feel like it doesn't get enough recognition! :<

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2018
    Crustle. It's a great Pokémon with an awesome design and I sincerely feel like it should be used so much more.

Years
  • I feel like nobody talks about Swallow in Gen III - not exactly obscure but an under-appreciated flying type for sure???
    Also when you trade an Abra for a Mr. Mime in FireRed it's SO GOOD

Teddiursa and Phanpy too, both so so cute! Loved them in Pokémon 3 the movie.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    kricketot is and will forever be one of my favs. mostly because i had a figurine of it i took with me everywhere when i was younger and also because it's adorable.

Back