• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with the back pain?

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2019
    As long as I remember myself, starting from my school years I always sit much for a great amount of time during the day. However even later at university I could still move and walk enough almost every day so in general I felt good (I also went to gym twice a week when I was a student). Now I'm working in office (it's almost a half of year) and now I really know what constant sitting means. That's really exhausting, I sit for hours and write or edit articles, and I can move only in a cafe for dinner or for making coffee in the other room, that's really not enough for me :(
    Besides I started to feel back pain after my work, especially in the end of the week which doesn't make the whole situation better. What can you advise me to do? How do you personally deal with that back pain on your office work?

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • Ah I feel ya. I do not work in an office but I get back pain too. It doesn't help that my mattress is too soft, I have to sleep with a pillow under my back to get any relief.
    You could try lying flat on a floor with a rolled up bath towel under the lower back when you get home, it might help. Otherwise, long soaks in the shower or bath.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I can get lower back pain with relative ease due to my height, not severe pain, but enough to take the breath out of me if caught off guard. I've found that my only real solution is choose one side to sleep on and stick to it - if I don't move, then there's nothing to deal with. Of course, if I wish to actually sleep through the night, I'll have to take pain relief of some kind to ensure that I'm not woken up four hours later.

As for getting through the day, if possible, my bag of choice will be something with long straps and not my typical backpack. If I can avoid any pressure on my lower back through carrying items then I should be fine while upright, but I'm forced to sit or lie down, it's kind of a matter of 'GET READY... BREATHE! DO IT AGAIN! FUCK!' until the sharpness subsides and it becomes a mere persistent ache again.

No real solutions on my end, unfortunately!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    That must be horrible to live with @ examples

I try to not sit down for too long periods of time. Even if I slouch on the couch at home, I try to get up and move about every now and then, and at work I try to stand up at my desk (adjustable height) for at least a while every day. It's rather when I work long days in the lab and never sit down at all, that I can get back pain in the evening or the next day.

I think it's good to try to keep your core fit. Do situps and back-ups and "the plank" every day and maybe get a massage every now and then if you can. My masseuse at work tells me my shoulders are awfully stiff always and that I strain my lower back muscles when I stand up for a whole day.

Also, might be mostly imagination lol, but I've found that taking Magnesium pills can relax my muscles a bit. I take them because I also take D-vitamin and have an increased need for Mg, but still.

Last edited:
    Years
  • When I get back pain at home I lay flat on the ground with a heatpack under where it hurts and it works wonders. For work, try finding excuses to get up and walk around more.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2017
    I used to have back problems as well but now I get a massage every other week, do pilates and take kratom as needed...it's really helped with the pain.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    Years of skateboarding and snowboarding without caring for my poor bones left me with a really shitty lower back. My job also requires me to sit a lot and the back pain quickly became unbearable. Here's a quick list of things you can do to improve your life. I'm no doctor, but these have helped me a lot in the past years. I rarely have back pain anymore.

1. Make sure your chair offers proper support. Adjustability and lumbar support are the two main things you're looking for. If your chair sucks, get a new chair. If you can't get a new chair, you might wanna try out portable lumbar back supports. They do wonder.

2. Make sure you sit properly (see below). It might be uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it and your back, shoulders and neck will thank you.
    Spoiler:

3. Every 1-2 hours (or whenever you start feeling back pain), stand up and stretch for a couple minutes. It will help reduce the stress you put on your spine by sitting for long periods of time.

4. Unless you are now afflicted by a terrible condition, you do not have a valid reason to have stopped working out. Like Stars said, it is good to keep your core fit. A strong core will greatly reduce lower back pain. Core and back exercises can be done at home and with no equipment. All it takes is the will to improve your quality of life!

5. Massages. Treat yourself to a good massage once in a while. The relief is amazing.

6. Enjoy your new, back pain free life!

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    With some weird complications I now have something 'stuck' in my very lower back on the right side. Not sure how to deal with this. Definitely do not have the best posture and I prefer lying down over sitting + slouching due to my rib injury. Working out has always been the number 1 thing that helped ease any kind of pain, so I always recommend that, especially if it's more yoga-like and stuff that requires you to move your upper body around a lot. I currently do kung fu and it serves as a stand-in for therapy right now.

Sirfetch’d

I have an unbalanced spine and over the years my posture has gotten worse. I've tried different methods such as chin tucking to help straighten my spine, but very little has helped. I feel like I am in the same boat as you with back pain at this point.

-Izuna-

Banned
    Years
  • As long as I remember myself, starting from my school years I always sit much for a great amount of time during the day. However even later at university I could still move and walk enough almost every day so in general I felt good (I also went to gym twice a week when I was a student). Now I'm working in office (it's almost a half of year) and now I really know what constant sitting means. That's really exhausting, I sit for hours and write or edit articles, and I can move only in a cafe for dinner or for making coffee in the other room, that's really not enough for me :(
    Besides I started to feel back pain after my work, especially in the end of the week which doesn't make the whole situation better. What can you advise me to do? How do you personally deal with that back pain on your office work?

Oh, it's a common problem for those who work in offices, I perfectly understand you, man! ;-; I always suffered from the same, besides I have scoliosis and this doesn't make the situation better at all. From my own experience I can recommend you regular physical exercises, try to choose the ones which were created specially for spine or people with scoliosis, they're really helpful. Of course you probably can't make them right in your office but anyway such regular activity is very helpful, in my case because of such regular trainings I started to feel much better and it became easier to correct my posture which is such a problem while I'm working >_>
    And you should make your workplace more comfortable, I mean get a better chair or a gymnastic ball instead of it, also standing desks/desk risers https://www.primecables.com/p-355830-cab-et101-wh-primecables-electric-sit-standing-desk-height-adjustable-desk-frame-table-top-not-include-white are effective in this case too. I have one like some other guys here too and free changing of my position during the working day helps to cease my pain and feel more relaxed in general, personally I suffer not only because of back pain but also emotionally of constant sitting >_>

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I used to have some slight back pain problems from doing warehousing type work. It was always towards the last 2 hours of the day where I felt like I had to stretch and crack my back, though that didn't really help much. After I got a new mattress, a couple of weeks later or so the problem almost completely went away.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Coincidentally I have back pain rn as im typing this. Anyway id probably have someone else massage it for me

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2017
    I'm a medical student and although I don't really suffer from back pain myself, I know how horrible this daily and sometime continuous pain can be. You should be carefull though : there are a lot of reasons why your back may hurt, and before trying anything which works for others you should make sure that it can't do more harm than good to you.

As for personnal experience, a litte bit of abdominal and back muscles training worked wonders when I started feeling pain in my back. But my problem wasn't nearly as big as the ones some people describe here

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2019
    What I do is do sit-ups. It makes it that your mid-section all around is secure, therefore your back can take all of the movements you do and all of your postures. :)

luckyjack

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2018
    My doctor advised me to try a traditional Chinese medicine - accupuncture, this natural form of healing very popular in NZ today. I started attending our local physiotherapist here in Auckland only a few weeks ago, but I already see the results! I also read that some physical exercises help to reduce back pain too, but of course it's necessary to consult with the doctor first to do no harm.

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I occasionally get upper back pain from what I beleive to be indigestion. My solution was to avoid certain drinks, and sticking with water helps a lot. Other than that I get your typical back pains but exercise has minimized that in the past year.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Same as what Rika and Graine said, if I'm spending a lot of time at the computer/sitting, I'll just get up every hour, walk around for a few minutes and stretch to break up the sedentary period.

They have a lot of good lifestyle tips - sometimes even a bunch of small changes can improve your situation. Regular exercise outside of work should help, even just fitting in 30 min. of physical activity a day is good, for your back and your overall health.

My brother has had issues with back pain since he was little because he's pretty tall, and he goes to a chiropractor regularly. I don't have personal experience with that but he swears it helps too.

Back