• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

“Were dancing for no reason and some day we will disappear for no reason”

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
A weird choice for a thread but what's the dumbest/weirdest/silliest roadblock you have seen in any of the games?

Years
Not sure how much I'd consider this a roadblock, but the fact that you can enter the entrance to Victory Road in XY before you even get your first badge, and the Ace Trainer there tells you off. That I did get a chuckle out of.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
All of the roadblocks in Alola that don't even try to disguise the fact that they're roadblocks. Literally just "you cannot pass without defeating the captain". It's super dumb and I wish they actually put effort into designing the roadblocks to be diagetic like they did in the old games (Snorlax).

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
My favorite were the psyducks who block the path in Sinnoh, because they "aren't inclined to move".

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
the pokemon blocking your path were kinda goofy but at least they were cute and fit with the world
compared to stuff like the alola trial barriers that literally make no sense at all. like, how do people who aren't trialgoers get around? does nobody ever leave their town in alola?

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
When you battle the Team Flare Grunt standing in your way at the Pokeball HQ whoops, I meant the Power Plant, and then he basically goes, "I don't care if you beat me, I'm not budging from this spot!"

...Listen, pal; I feel I should inform you that you have no more Pokemon left, whereas mine are still in prime condition to spew fire and razor-sharp winds and instant-knockout powder. You know, there's a reason none of the previous villains ever tried this.
(Also, are those raised paths really so narrow that only one person can stand on them, single file? Gee, I hope there's never a fire or anything in that building.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2022
The drink you have to give the guard to get to Saffron city in Pokemon BGY. That frustrated me so much, it took me ages to get the 'hint'.

blue

gucci
Years
there was a tumblr post that made me laugh about how lazy they've become about roadblocks. it was from gen V when the row of men were blocking the connecting path to the next route and i believe it was the one referred to in the thread title.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
''I'm sorry. There's a blackout. You can't go any farther until it's fixed.''
*NPC casually walks right on through*

Honestly, I found that to be pretty idiotic that you can't even get past because they throw out the excuse there's a blackout, yet the NPCs can go through regardless. I get it's trying to cordon off areas until you're meant to get to them and ultimately end up getting lost in Lumiose City not knowing where to go, but even in broad daylight, a blackout surely shouldn't be a reason to cordon it off. I get what they did with DPPt and Sunyshore City, but that was because you couldn't progress until you got the gym badge.

Last edited:

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
The drink you have to give the guard to get to Saffron city in Pokemon BGY. That frustrated me so much, it took me ages to get the 'hint'.

Ah, that one definitely had me stumped as well! :(

But the roadblock that frustrated me the most was the old man from Viridian City, who kept yelling at me for passing through his private property. My 7-year-old self never bothered to visit the Poké Mart, so I wasted hours and hours trying to find other ways around him. >.< Looking back now, though, I still don't see how Oak's Parcel has any real connection to the old man's silly coffee, haha.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
This one isn't even from the main games; but it instantly made me think of this thread...I'm playing Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, and inside Daybreak Ruins(?) there's this large, sturdy object blocking a doorway. I can't really make out what it's supposed to be - it sort of looks like a stone pillar, but you have to capture two Quilava to burn it before you can continue. I checked the top screen, and...the object's actual name is "Roadblock".

...Well, yes; I can see that. :laugh-squinted:

Last edited:

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
The Psyduck bunch was definitely funny. Otherwise, the barriers in Alola... Well, I don't want to repeat what's already been said about them, but sincerely they could've found better excuses. Oh, and also, the Kecleon. That one was funny too.

Back