• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Okay, even if its a run of the mill mid-range samsung, the Galaxy Core is amazing, compared to my old Xperia Mini. 600mb of ram is available after all is said and done, but that's like compared to the 100mb on the Mini. Triple the screen size, zippy phone, and I can finally see a lot of details I normally wouldn't see, like the web lines on the custom HTC icon I have for the browser. Oh and custom fonts, I have custom fonts. I have seen the true android light, and it is glorious!

Years
So my parents bought a Smart TV from Samsung, and we set it up today. So far I think it looks good, although I really don't recommend browsing the web on a Smart TV at all. :P

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
So my parents bought a Smart TV from Samsung, and we set it up today. So far I think it looks good, although I really don't recommend browsing the web on a Smart TV at all. :P

Why is that? I've been looking into buying one for myself when I move. I see they're cheaper now.

Years
Why is that? I've been looking into buying one for myself when I move. I see they're cheaper now.
Using apps available on the TVs is absolutely okay, but browsing the web is not. It's just slow because of the amount of RAM available when browsing regular websites.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Finally!
After two weeks without internet I'm back online again. Damn old router finally bit the dust. At least I had time to read some Nitzsche, play Gothic 3 and think about the P vs. NP problem.

Yeah, I know, I have a lot of free time. xD

Years
The closest I can get to having no internet was before 8th grade, when my parents actually didn't let me roam the internet on my own :P

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
Years
The longest that I have been without Internet was for about a month.
On another topic, Microsoft has finally known about different desktop environments and multiple desktops. Welcome to the past Microsoft, UNIX, Linus Torvalds and a tech-savvy group of millions beat you to it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I was a kid--around eight or so--I had very restricted access to computer in general, including Internet. On weekdays, I was able to use it only for about an hour, and during weekends, maximum was three. As soon as I'd turned around ten, my parents gifted me my own, personal desktop as birthday present, and since it was in my room and they weren't able to see if I were actually on it or not, I would ignore their limitations and go online whenever I wanted.

As for what the longest time I've ever had to go through without Internet connection, that would likely have to be a month, due to provider-related trouble and whatnot. I'm very addicted to Internet nowadays, to be honest; if I can't access it for a single day, it would immediately feel as if I'm missing something big, which isn't precisely... satisfying, so to speak.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The longest that I have been without Internet was for about a month.

Longest for me is about two or three days...

On another topic, Microsoft has finally known about different desktop environments and multiple desktops. Welcome to the past Microsoft, UNIX, Linus Torvalds and a tech-savvy group of millions beat you to it.

Haha! It sure will come in handy for them.

On the other hand, I can see why they've been reluctant to include the feature in the OS itself. Even though the OS does natively support multiple desktops, it's used for other than multiple workspaces for a single user. I can see where they're coming from - not confusing the average Joe is a pretty important thing.

Me? I think I'll disable it first thing I get my hands on it. I don't get multiple workspaces. I'd rather practise my window management skills... Then again, maybe I'm just that used to it.

Years
Longest for me is about two or three days...
That's the same for me. When I was up in New York City 5 years ago, my parents were strict about my internet usage, so they didn't want to pay extra for wifi, and there was really no other way at the time for me to access the internet. Of course it'd probably be different if I was at home, though. :P

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I can't think of when I last did not use the Internet. Even when I've travelled I've managed to salvage some Internet somehow no matter how slow and cumbersome.

I've done some spans of no social media, which greatly reduced the amount of time I was online - but I was still using it all the same. Internet's an essential service really.

Zakariya

What happens in the dark, comes out in light.
Years
The closest I can get to having no internet was before 8th grade, when my parents actually didn't let me roam the internet on my own :P

My parents were a bit strict about the internet as well for a while, but that's because they knew nothing about computers and didn't understand anything about the internet at all. It was more along the lines of a generation-bias thing rather than not trusting me.

Years
Internet's an essential service really.
And this statement really comes true to a lot of services we use as well, especially monetary transactions. I remember one time I went to a convenience store to buy a drink. I didn't have cash on me at the time, but had my debit card; their internet connection must have been down or something because no cards were being taken at the time I was there.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
And this statement really comes true to a lot of services we use as well, especially monetary transactions. I remember one time I went to a convenience store to buy a drink. I didn't have cash on me at the time, but had my debit card; their internet connection must have been down or something because no cards were being taken at the time I was there.

I think you got a point here, Zach. Sometimes I looked at the ATM room with curiosity, and find out that in the top of the ATM room (if it's being outside of the mall, that is) there is some sort of antenna pointing out somewhere, I think it must be linked to the internet access to get the data of the customer's bank amount. Even taking money from the ATM requires internet, apparently. Plus, making airplane ticket transaction directly won't be possible without it, too.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Without the internet, it would be impossible to do everything that we're doing right at this moment, especially making this post and connecting with many of you.

Not to mention, sooner or later we might not be using physical credit cards and use virtual ones. Like how Apple Pay is being used to store your credit card information securely inside your iPhone.

Years
It's also within the internet at my school that student information changes occur. Without the internet, changes can't be made, and there's no backup either.

Zakariya

What happens in the dark, comes out in light.
Years
Guys, I wouldn't get too wound up about the internet taking over everything (which it won't, really). Aside from the fact that it won't rule our lives 100% any time soon, is it really worth it to get upset, angry, or overall terrified of it taking over a lot of things when it won't ruin our lives?

I've learned that enjoying life is entirely up to the person who's in charge of it, entirely up to the way the person thinks. If you're in a position where you control your life or at least most of it, then you're in charge of how much you enjoy it. And you're certainly in charge of the way you think.

Therefore, it's up to you on how you handle the effects internet is having on things, as well as how technology is changing things. Just because things are done on the internet or stored entirely on it doesn't mean a disaster is guaranteed to happen no matter what, and everything will be lost forever. It doesn't mean things are going to occur that will damage life beyond repair for sure.

Besides, the internet is having good effects on things that the media (which is responsible for why people are panicking over this and constantly fearful of many things) blatantly overlooks due to the possibility that it would cause ratings to sink into a bottomless abyss.

For example, doing certain things online saves paper, therefore helping the environment and saving trees. That also saves time and things are done quicker that way.

I don't intend to get off topic, but I think everyone's being a bit too skeptical and ignoring the benefits we're getting out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back