• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
No one said that the internet was taking over though. O_o

We were just mentioning how the internet is a necessity to most things in life, but I'm sure there are certain things that will never require usage of the internet; I'm fairly certain we won't need internet for putting gas into our vehicles. :P

Years
No one said that the internet was taking over though. O_o

We were just mentioning how the internet is a necessity to most things in life, but I'm sure there are certain things that will never require usage of the internet; I'm fairly certain we won't need internet for putting gas into our vehicles. :P

We do need the internet to be able to pay by credit card, however!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Don't know why, but the first thing that came to my mind when I read this, was "region locked cars". {XD}

The basic idea would be to piss people off restrict certain cars to certain areas. If you want to refill gas, it first checks wheather you're in the certain area and if not, it's not going to work. Depending how far you're away it could do other things, like calling the police, or something.
That could be usefull for business cars or if you're traveling in an unsecure area, where your car could easily be stolen.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Don't know why, but the first thing that came to my mind when I read this, was "region locked cars". {XD}

The basic idea would be to piss people off restrict certain cars to certain areas. If you want to refill gas, it first checks wheather you're in the certain area and if not, it's not going to work. Depending how far you're away it could do other things, like calling the police, or something.
That could be usefull for business cars or if you're traveling in an unsecure area, where your car could easily be stolen.

That would cause a problem though, if for one instance, one rich person wants to bring his/her car all the way to different country together, and finding out that refilling the gas there just won't work. Even though so far, I doubt it if they would bring it there, but still, that's one of the reason why I'm not fond of region locks in any kind, so far, so I'm glad that it's not the necessity on refilling gas, yet.

This reminds me a bit, I do recall there is a restaurant, which when I started to order stuff, the waitress just apply it on their smartphone of some sort to collect it to the chef to cook, and for the cashier too. I personally find this quite tech-savvy for a restaurant, because it's not common seeing restaurant applying techs as their systems.

Last edited:
Years
I really don't mind instances of businesses going tech-savvy like above, but what I do mind is when there's no backup plan (or a way to be old-fashioned) should something go wrong.

Years
So I finally got Android 5.0 on my Nexus 7 last night. I've been using it today, though, and I'm not really impressed. It may look nice, but it's really awkward to use, especially the lock screen. I've also been getting a lot of lag when doing things. I'm considering going back to Kitkat by flashing a Jellybean stock image, then unlocking my bootloader and installing CM11.

If I'm going to downgrade, I might as well root and put on a version of Android I like.
I've unlocked my Nexus 7's bootloader already and tried out the Lollipop ROM Google had up for testing. So far that's been good for me, although I probably should have waited until now to get a more official release of Lollipop. :P

Starry Windy

Years
Now I'm confused, I thought Android Lollipop has already been released? I have been planning to get a Kitkat Android phone, but hearing about this, I think I'll change my mind soon.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I wonder what encryption the iPhone uses for credit card information... anything decent would be a battery drain, and it's likely backdoor'd openly by Apple for "recovery purposes" or whathaveyou.

I recall a data breach sustained by Target some years ago, where they said "at least some X amount" was compromised... all of it was compromised. Corporations are so ignorant with technology that they'd neglect to hash credit card numbers, PINs, and CCRs, but even with Apple and their credit storage thing it seems they're not so much ignorant as they are careless. I think they know their customers either won't notice or won't care.

Hm.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Security is something you can't neglect, when dealing with sensitive info. Sure, general data is needless of protection, but most everyone has something that is well worth protecting through some security measures.

I'm really glad TrueCrypt is still floating around. I really like how it has the ability to take combinations of keys as files, is capable of volume management (not that it's really needed, what with tarballs and ISOs), and has a plethora of encryption algorithms to choose from. As far as its security goes, I read a binary audit and saw nothing out of the ordinary, and besides... didn't Snowden use 7.1a undetected until he blew the whistle on the NSA? I seriously doubt it's not secure. If you're paranoid you could replicate the audit done (repeat the steps), but even I think that may be a little much. It really depends on what you're encrypting, and a lot of places aren't to be trusted anyway...

Years
And it's user discretion at times that may want to make someone smash their computer if it gets a virus; that's what happens when you download suspicious content! :P

It may make them want to smash their computer, but poor user discretion also has a side-effect that not many people realize: it leads their go-to IT people to want to use percussive maintenance on end-users that consistently exercises poor user discretion!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
So many times I've done really poor decisions in terms of installing stuff, not my pridest moments, haha.

Speaking of that, all day I've been getting FAP_____.tmp files poping up on my desktop every now and then. So far its at 23 files. Keep on deleting them, and they keep coming. Only thing I think could caused this, is that I'm trying to Customize my Windows more, and I tried doing "ViStart" to get a Windows 10 or other themed start menu. It worked, but the starter selction was meh and couldn't find the places to put the files for more themes. Popped up at start earlier.

countryemo

Years
So many times I've done really poor decisions in terms of installing stuff, not my pridest moments, haha.

Speaking of that, all day I've been getting FAP_____.tmp files poping up on my desktop every now and then. So far its at 23 files. Keep on deleting them, and they keep coming. Only thing I think could caused this, is that I'm trying to Customize my Windows more, and I tried doing "ViStart" to get a Windows 10 or other themed start menu. It worked, but the starter selction was meh and couldn't find the places to put the files for more themes. Popped up at start earlier.

Starry Windy

Years
ViStart, eh? I used to use one when I used Windows XP in my PC back then, because I want to have Vista-lookalike Start menu because I don't have Vista PC/laptops yet. but eventually stopped using it after a few months, but I forgot why did I stopped using it. It was a decent software, regardless.

Oh, and I have looked it up, and apparently the cause of FAP____.tmp is from Adobe Flash Player stuffs, not from the ViStart. Maybe uninstalling the Flash and reinstalling it afterwards might solve it.

Last edited:

countryemo

Years
ViStart, eh? I used to use one when I used Windows XP in my PC back then, because I want to have Vista-lookalike Start menu because I don't have Vista PC/laptops yet. but eventually stopped using it after a few months, but I forgot why did I stopped using it. It was a decent software, regardless.

Oh, and I have looked it up, and apparently the cause of FAP____.tmp is from Adobe Flash Player stuffs, not from the ViStart. Maybe uninstalling the Flash and reinstalling it afterwards might solve it.

Really? It's always Flash! Haha I'll try that.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Adobe Flash Player should not produce temporary files on your desktop, so see if it persists after uninstalling and reinstalling it.

If it still does, it's probably something else.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Adobe Flash Player should not produce temporary files on your desktop, so see if it persists after uninstalling and reinstalling it.

If it still does, it's probably something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back