• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gender Differences

Wobb

Wynaut
Years
  • Hey . . . ! What do all of you think about Pokemon that have gender differences? In the games, I never really looked at how the Males and Females were different. I just wanted to catch the Pokemon, but I don't like how different Male and Female Hippopotas and Hippowdon are.
    450.png
    450_f.png

And in the Ken Sugimori art for the Pokemon, why is it always the Male Pokemon instead of the female? It was like this until Gen 5, when there was art for male and female Unfezant, Frillish, and Jellicent. I think Gen 5 and 6 made their gender differences on Pokemon more different than they were in Gen 4. Pyroar and Meowstic's different genders are so different from each other, and I like that :) I don't know why, because I don't like the different Hippowdon.
    Did you ever try to catch both genders of a Pokemon?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Gender differences have only been around since gen 4. I'm guessing more were added in gen 5 because gen 4 was a just a test for gender differences.

I only catch both genders for when I breed them or when there is major differences between them.

(P.S: Goodbye)

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
    Years
  • ^Pretty much the same for me. There has to be a huge difference for me to catch a specific one, if its between Hippowdon's Im choosing the female.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • Haha, I dunno - I find some of them pretty amusing, aka female Wobbuffet with lipstick:
    202.png
    202_f.png

I also like that Pyroar has obvious male and female lion characteristics:
    100px-668Pyroar-Male.png
    100px-668Pyroar-Female.png

In saying that, no - I don't go out of my way to catch each gender (there are actually heaps of pokemon with subtle gender differences like females with shorter horns, feathers, etc etc - it would take forever).

Years
  • I actually really like the minor differences between male and female Pokemon, it's make the games feel more realistic imo. My favourite's probably the differences in the tail for the two genders of Pikachu, it's a small but cool difference :3

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • It's not really something I ever notice except in a few obvious cases, but I really like the concept despite that. More variety and attention to detail in the Pokémon design is really nice imo!

I've never found myself catching one gender of Pokémon more than the other though.

Years
  • It's not really something I ever notice except in a few obvious cases, but I really like the concept despite that. More variety and attention to detail in the Pokémon design is really nice imo!

Yeah I really like how Game Freak put so much effort into their Pokemon designs, like making minuscule differences between Pokemon genders

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Haha, I dunno - I find some of them pretty amusing, aka female Wobbuffet with lipstick:
    202.png
    202_f.png

I also like that Pyroar has obvious male and female lion characteristics:
    100px-668Pyroar-Male.png
    100px-668Pyroar-Female.png

In saying that, no - I don't go out of my way to catch each gender (there are actually heaps of pokemon with subtle gender differences like females with shorter horns, feathers, etc etc - it would take forever).

Wow Pyroar looks great, is that a Gen VI / VII pokémon?

Wobbuffet's one is one of the more noticeable ones, and I think the lipstick makes me think of its anime personality (although I assume that one is male). A lot of them I never noticed, like Garchomp for example, which arguably makes them cooler - and a lot like many real animals such as cats and dogs where unless you turn them over you can't really tell.

I like to catch female pokémon where possible because it means I don't have to worry as much about Attract when I'm playing through my games, but some times you have to have a male or an evolution, or I just think it seems really male, or I want to name it after a movie character (i.e. my male Pelipper, "Nigel" named after the pelican in Finding Nemo).

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I really love the different gender variations! It really makes Pokémon more realistic and unique to that aspect!

Especially gender specific evolutions, I like them a lot unlike a lot, but again, it gives off that uniqueness Pokémon has to offer and makes the game slightly more intriguing :)

Years
  • Gender differences have only been around since gen 4. I'm guessing more were added in gen 5 because gen 4 was a just a test for gender differences.

I only catch both genders for when I breed them or when there is major differences between them.

(P.S: Goodbye)

Thought I'd say it, 'cause we're talking about gender-variation of pokemon. Nidoran M and F are chief examples of it, and they're from Gen I.
    That's how I see it anyway. When we're talking about differences in pokemon's gender I count that as part of the argument. I know just remembered that slight gender variation hasn't been around as long.

Anyway, I don't see a lot of that, or the other subtle differences in some pokemon of either gender. I would like some more if you ask me, and not just as an appearance thing.
    Like, different movesets and stats, (Nidoking and Nidoqueen's highest stat is Atk, but Queen's more balanced out than King's.) symmetry or asymmetry of types, (like a Fire/Water Pairing.)
    And things of that nature.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I would like some more if you ask me, and not just as an appearance thing.
    Like, different movesets and stats, (Nidoking and Nidoqueen's highest stat is Atk, but Queen's more balanced out than King's.) symmetry or asymmetry of types, (like a Fire/Water Pairing.)
    And things of that nature.

I think Gender differences that actually change how the Pokemon performs in battle would be interesting, making the gender of what Pokemon you catch actually important, it's a nice idea.

Years
  • I love how the gender differences range to minor ones like Magikarp or Pikachu, to the drastically different ones like Unfezant, Pyroar, Frillish/Jellicent and Meowstic. Meowstic in particular is different from other Pokemon with gender differences because the moves it learns even depend on what gender it is, and seems to invert stereotypical gender tropes by having the male look timid while the female looks more tough.

It was a shame no 7th Gen Pokemon had gender differences, but maybe 8th Gen could give us another new one?

Years
  • I don't go out of my way to try to catch them but it's always a pleasant surprise when I see the more drastic differences.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I don't realize there's gender differences except for the obvious ones. I don't care for the gender of my Pokemon, then again except when it's an important gender difference (Espurr, Nidoran...)

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • As I tend to prefer to use Female Pokemon I often notice gender differences.

For me the most noticeable Gender difference is between Jellicent. Jellicent is one of my favourite Pokemon and whenever I use one I always use the female one as I far prefer her design to her male.

I hope to breed a Shiny Female Frillish at some point.

(Frey)

Years
  • I remember the days I used to catch both males and females to compare the gender differences. Thankfully the Pokedex always records them when you see them.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It is cool to see the gender differences for specific Pokémon, it's just a shame there aren't more of them tbh. Male Pyroar looks a lot better imo, but the Female design isn't too bad.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I always pay attention to Espur's gender if it's a male I wouldn't catch it and only catch female because I want a swiper and not a prankster. I ever doubt there be gender linking to spefic gender evolution like salandit or a combee

Years
  • I ever doubt there be gender linking to spefic gender evolution like salandit or a combee

I have a huge thing against evolutions that only affect one gender and leave the other practically useless, as Combee and Salandit being female-only evolutions showed. Doesn't help that they had to make the useless males way too common just to make it so hard to get Vespiquen and Salazzle.

Both lines not getting a male evolution was a missed opportunity. Look at how Burmy has a split gender-based evolution path, and while Mothim and Wormadam do suck they are least there and don't leave a certain Burmy gender entirely useless.

Back