Your first exposure to the RPG genre.

Started by Jiggykoopbob October 21st, 2021 3:06 AM
  • 6 replies

Jiggykoopbob

One of Lord Bowser's most loyal Goomba troops.

Male
Mushroom Kingdom.
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
37 posts
197 Days
Hey! It is i, Jiggykoopbob again.

I can still remember quite well what my first RPG game of any kind was. Which was Mario & Luigi Partners in Time on the Nintendo DS. I played this game on an old R4 card back in like 2010 or something, and it wasn't until 6 years later that i replayed that game and it got me in love with the RPG genre all over again.

Though... Because pretty much all Mario RPGs has a mechanic in them of having to press a button to deal more damage when attacking, This let me to believe that almost all RPG games out there had that mechanic. Including Pokémon actually. I still remember trying out Pokémon Ruby on an emulator for the first time and i mashed the button when one of my Pokémon used a bubble attack. (I like to use the word "attack" and not "move" because not all Pokémon moves deal damage you know?)

Anyway, I'd like to know what your first exposure to the RPG genre in general is.

Nah

Age 29
she/her, they/them
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted 19 Hours Ago
RPGs were my first video games, and the first two of those for me were Pokemon Yellow and Grandia. Don't remember which was before the other though. Probably close enough to the same time that it doesn't really matter.
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
12,926 posts
10.5 Years
TMNT 2 and the original Zelda on the NES.

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur

Dawn

None
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
16,209 posts
7.1 Years
Final Fantasy VII with my aunt's boyfriend. I did the opening bombing mission and got stuck trying to figure the way out whilst the timer continued to tick down...I think this might be the root cause of my dislike of timers in video games. And Final Fantasy VII.

After that I believe it was Pokemon Red, alongside many other people from my generation. But after that I don't think I played another RPG until Final Fantasy VIII. My memory is a bit spotty and I didn't have many games when I was younger, never mind complicated RPGs.

VPPGame Journal ✩ Paired with Dusk ❤ ✩

IV

Your local Dutch joker

Age 25
Male
Some stupid city in The Netherlands
Online now
Posted 19 Hours Ago
6,712 posts
2.7 Years
I uh... actually don't know my first RPG game... FPS, RTS, TBS, Racing games I can clearly name off the top off my head what started it all... but RPG's... no clue

then again i would not be suprised if it was Runescape of all games that was my first RPG xD
Male
Netherlands
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
9,660 posts
1.4 Years
Pokemon Red is the oldest game I remember playing so I'll go with that. 😗

Trade Shop | My HA pokemon trade sheet. | My Shinies. | My VPP.
Gigantamax Eevee Level 100 @ 9,688 | Swanna @ Lv 100: 9,450

Devalue

Any pronoun
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
927 posts
290 Days
Uncertain. Was quite young. Guesses Second Edition Dungeons and Dragons. Played with a sibling as the dungeon master. Multiclassed every character for some reason. Cannot remember parents ever being involved.

Blurs together, though. Could have been something like Castle of the Winds, Angband, or Moria. Rented games then too. Opens up Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana as possibilities. Leans towards them being too late (by the time of renting them). Believes similarly for Diablo 1 (demo) and The Realm. (Was definitely too young for the former. Supervised neither of those.)

Hm. Another possibility: Dungeon Master (DOS). Played it at some point. Almost certainly never made it far.
Current Virtual Pokemon Pet: Corviknight
Level 100 at 1081 posts

Game Journal Thread
Most Recent Entry: Pokemon Moon, Voice of Cards Demo, and Earthbound