• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Fairy Type

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Pokemon X/Y introduced a new type for certain Pokemon: The Fairy type! The Fairy type became the first type of pokemon where Dragon Pokemon could not do any damage at all against, and even some existing Pokemon became part-fairy type.

18qjrdpuxq0i7jpg.jpg

So, the question here is, when they first introduced the Fairy type, what was your initial reaction? Have you used a Fairy-type Pokemon, and how did you enjoy it? Do you think Fairy-type would of had a different name? Do you think some pokemon missed out on having this new typing?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I was super excited when they introduces the fairy type. I remember there was rumors about a new type already, I was hoping for Light type... But hey, Fairy type is nice! I like many of them. I can't really say it's my favorite type but it is not my least favorite for sure. I really like Grandbull so.... yay!
    I honnestly can't remmember if I used a fairy type in my first play... I did used two in my Sun game: Shiinotic and Ribombee.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I was super excited when they introduces the fairy type. I remember there was rumors about a new type already, I was hoping for Light type... But hey, Fairy type is nice! I like many of them. I can't really say it's my favorite type but it is not my least favorite for sure. I really like Grandbull so.... yay!
    I honnestly can't remmember if I used a fairy type in my first play... I did used two in my Sun game: Shiinotic and Ribombee.

Did the Light-type sounded better for you? o:

Some people were thinking that was going to be a thing too, including myself, so, it was suprise the Faeries were introduced instead. :]

Years
  • I didn't really care about them that much when they are announced But when i spent more time with them and used them in multiple battles i started to love them.

Years
  • I remember my first reaction was "what, a new type after four generations?" and I recall when others initially hated Fairy-type Pokemon, but I like how the introduction of this type opened up so many new possibilities for Pokemon designs.

I've used a Fairy-type Pokemon in every main series game since, with Sylveon becoming my real MVP in X (and it's funny I never used an Eeveelution before) and then with Alpha Sapphire and Moon, I had Gardevoir and Primarina help carry me through the story. Fairy-type Pokemon are good, and are definitely worth using.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • "What an awful name." That was my initial reaction upon finding out that this new type was called Fairy. Before then, everybody was making weird guesses on what the type was, before it was officially named. "Light" was the most common, and I don't get how. How does Sylveon look like a Light type?

Then it released, and with it, X/Y. Many Fairy vs. Dragon comics later, I grew to love the type...but then dislike it, especially after Sun/Moon, but that's for another day. I thought the Fairy type sounded silly, but then its type effectiveness was shown. "That's actually quite strong," I said to myself "It's shot down Dragons." Of course, in competitive play, Fairy types served as a disruptor to Dragons, to knock down the previously top-tier type down a peg. Still, though, it's one hell of a strong type.

Thank goodness X/Y didn't have Tapu Lele. :')

Years
  • I was really excited for Fairy types, to be honest. :) I mean, there hadn't been a new type since Gold, Silver, and Crystal! And they are awesome! <3

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • When they were first revealed, I think I was bewildered. Now, it's a mixed bag for me but mainly negative.
    On one hand, they are amazing in competitive play due to great offensive coverage and good defensive typing. Speaking of which, it's also great some old favourites got a second chance to shine. Furthermore, there are a few Fairy-types I liked design wise: Primarina, Xerneas, Mawile, Gardevoir, Granbull, and the Tapus.

On the other hand, it did heavily nerf my favourite Pokémon to give an unpleasant 4x weakness and I feel Fairies are overcentralizing to deal with (I haven't participated in VGC but from watching it's like almost every team has a Tapu, not to mention VGC 16 where Xerneas was very popular). Furthermore, I am not a fan of a lot of the Fairy-type's designs; overly cute designs, simply put, aren't my cup of tea.

I do feel Fairies should also be weak to Dark to give them the whole Light beats Dark, vise versa standard RPG archetype. Fairies can be corrupted by evil too!

Years
  • I'm kinda glad that the Fairy type was introduced, it helped to balance things out and we needed something that not only resisted, but just negated the Dragon type.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • When they were first revealed, I think I was bewildered. Now, it's a mixed bag for me but mainly negative.
    On one hand, they are amazing in competitive play due to great offensive coverage and good defensive typing. Speaking of which, it's also great some old favourites got a second chance to shine. Furthermore, there are a few Fairy-types I liked design wise: Primarina, Xerneas, Mawile, Gardevoir, Granbull, and the Tapus.

On the other hand, it did heavily nerf my favourite Pokémon to give an unpleasant 4x weakness and I feel Fairies are overcentralizing to deal with (I haven't participated in VGC but from watching it's like almost every team has a Tapu, not to mention VGC 16 where Xerneas was very popular). Furthermore, I am not a fan of a lot of the Fairy-type's designs; overly cute designs, simply put, aren't my cup of tea.

I do feel Fairies should also be weak to Dark to give them the whole Light beats Dark, vise versa standard RPG archetype. Fairies can be corrupted by evil too!

Dark type has had quite a few buffs over the past few Gens such as an immunity to Prankster and an improved Knock Off. Giving it something else it's Super Effective against would make it overpowered.

As annoying as it might be to some people on what Fairy type hits Super Effectively (Dragon, Dark and Fighting seem to be some of the more popular types) the type chart needed balancing with Dragons being very strong up to Gen 5 and Fighting Type was excellent in Gen 5 too.

I like the Fairy Type, it gave one of my favourite Pokemon Psychic/Fairy type which enabled it to stand out from the likes of Alakazam and Gothitelle. It also helped balance the type chart. (One could no longer just Outrage their way through everything anymore) and created some of my favourite Pokemon such as Sylveon.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It was hard to believe when it was still in the rumour stage, but when it was officially announced I was all for a new type! Initially, I wasn't overly impressed by the naming, but once we saw more of the older Pokémon getting updates and some of the new Fairy-type Pokémon, I was totally on board with it. Since gen VII, I think they've introduced a great amount of awesome new Fairy Pokémon and I'm looking forward to seeing more in future games!

Years
  • I wasn't too excited about it at first. I mean... Fairy? It felt kind of off. If anything, I too would have expected Light as a typing.

But I actually got used to it really quick and have enjoyed using the type. I suppose it's a fine compromise between a Light typing of sorts and something that counters the Dragon type. So... all good.

Years
  • I was honestly confused when they introduced it, I was like "What?! Why not the light type!"?

But by now the ability has grown on to me due to its usefulness in battle and pairing with gardevoir, giving it a better reason to differentiate it with Alakazam.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I had to have a little time getting used to some of them changing their typing-- I kept forgetting some of them had gained the new typing.

Other than that, I welcomed this typing more than the theorised "Light" type.
    That didn't appeal to me at all.

Back