• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pidgeot VS Fearow Face Off!

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
  • In RBY, you can choose between two early game birds, Pidgey and Spearow. Pidgeot may look cooler (my opinion :p) and be bulkier than Fearow, but Fearow is faster and hits harder. Which do you prefer?

Sirfetch’d

I like them both, but I tend to prefer Pidgeot. It's one of the first mons you encounter as a baby Pidgey and becomes pretty useful early on in Viridian Forest. Not to mention that it's easily the most nostalgic bird in Pokemon.

Reactions: noa
    Years
  • I do admit both are great, but I'd give the preference to Pidgeot since it can be a good Pokemon since early in the game when you can catch it as a little Pidgey.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Never was a fan of that Pidgeot sprite, lol. Fearow has the better attack and speed and gets Drill Peck too. I've come to hate Spearow/Fearow over the years, but during the R/B/Y days I used it quite often (until getting the much better Dodrio)

Years
    • Online now
    I like Fearow more, as it's stronger and faster. And while Pidgey evolves earlier, Spearow reaches its final form earlier. But if Dodrio was a contestant, then that thing would win, hands down.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Easily Pidgeot. Fearow just looks angry :c ofc I was always bias towards Pidgeot because of the anime buuuttt still! Definitely team Pidgeot :)

Years
  • I always admired Pidgeot looks and I wanted to even have this Pokemon IRL. I've played using Fearow as well and it provided an awesome power too. I like them both a lot but I think Pidgeot would suit me better.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I prefer Pidgeot mostly because of its design, but I've also used Fearow sometimes and it showed to be a solid choice for battling. Can't deny I have been influenced by the anime a little bit. heh

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    I like Fearow since it his fast and hard. Drill Peck is one of my favorite moves.

Years
  • I don't care for either, but Fearow/Spearow is the much uglier stepsister of the Gen I bird world and I just don't like having to look at it. I'd take Pidgey & co. any day over that trash bird.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Aesthetically, Pidgey and its evolved forms rule the day but what hurts Pidgey is that it doesn't learn its first Flying move until level 28 with Wing Attack. Spearow, on the other hand, knows Peck from the start and learns one of the better Flying Type moves in Drill Peck at level 29. However, I've always been a fan of Sand Attack and Quick Attack which Pidgey learns relatively early(level 5 and level 12 respectively) so although it doesn't know Flying Type moves until much later, its utility with that Sand Attack makes it a very versatile Pokemon early on.

In terms of speed and power, Spearow also has the edge but Pidgey is a bit more balanced with higher defense. If you get the Fly HM on Pidgey, then Pidgey isn't that bad of a choice with Fly and Wing Attack to go along with Quick Attack and Sand Attack. I always catch both and I always utilize both since they have their uses. If I truly had to pick though, I'd probably go with Pidgey since what makes Spearow can also be found on Doduo(and Doduo is better too). So my choice is Pidgey(Pidgeot) over Spearow(Fearow). If I added Doduo into the mix... it'd be a tough call but I'd probably still go with Pidgey.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I always preferred Pidgeot, which is strange since I normally prefer speedy, hard hitting pokemon. Maybe Pidgeot's design is just that much more appealing haha.

Years
  • I used to prefer Pidgeot back then for its aesthetics and exposure in the anime. But now I've been using Fearow in my playthroughs due to it having higher speed and attack. Drill Peck is also a pretty useful STAB Flying type move!

Back