• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinator

As weird as it sounds, Infernape can even go defensive to check/counter Dark, Steel and Grass Pokemon, as well as Charizard Y (yes, I listed Charizard because it doesn't run Air Slash, bulky Infernape can take hits from it, and can PP stall Focus Blast and stall out sun turns). Here's the set if you're curious:
    -Close Combat/Low Kick
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt/Stealth Rock
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/212 Def/44 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Infernape in Sun: 231-272 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    Let's say it hits at 70, u got 30 left and slack off, u got 80 which puts in a comfortable position to die. It's not stalling char y anyday

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Infernape in Sun: 231-272 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    Let's say it hits at 70, u got 30 left and slack off, u got 80 which puts in a comfortable position to die. It's not stalling char y anyday

You're getting the wrong idea. You're calculating with a -Special Defense nature here:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Infernape in Sun: 207-245 (58.1 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's a 2HKO regardless, but you had the wrong nature. Infernape could come in if a few Sun turns have gone by.

Then again, bulky Infernape can also go specially defensive to better handle Charizard Y:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Infernape in Sun: 145-171 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Physically defensive Infernape is for things like Scizor and Weavile. That was what I meant earlier.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • If you ask me MixApe and the other offensive sets are better than the defensive one, as the latter is a bit too specific and is still kinda frail. Checking Weavile, Scizor and Bisharp is nice, but it doesn't really have the bulk to tank other physical attacks in the long run. At least MixApe is able to whack balanced teams for some good damage and SD/NP threatens stall quite a bit, while the lead set can both weaken something to 1HP and set up SR if you play it correctly.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • You're getting the wrong idea. You're calculating with a -Special Defense nature here:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Infernape in Sun: 207-245 (58.1 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's a 2HKO regardless, but you had the wrong nature. Infernape could come in if a few Sun turns have gone by.

Then again, bulky Infernape can also go specially defensive to better handle Charizard Y:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Infernape in Sun: 145-171 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Physically defensive Infernape is for things like Scizor and Weavile. That was what I meant earlier.

this is as nitpicky as a nitpick can get. if something can take up to 80% from something's stab attack, can't outspeed it (or won't with those ridiculously specialized evs), and can't damage it at all, it's not a check. that's just way too specialized for oras.

(also, include stealth rock in your calcs.)

If you ask me MixApe and the other offensive sets are better than the defensive one, as the latter is a bit too specific and is still kinda frail. Checking Weavile, Scizor and Bisharp is nice, but it doesn't really have the bulk to tank other physical attacks in the long run. At least MixApe is able to whack balanced teams for some good damage and SD/NP threatens stall quite a bit, while the lead set can both weaken something to 1HP and set up SR if you play it correctly.

do you have one or more examples of a good mixape team, preferably one where its slot couldn't be better filled by something else? i don't necessarily disagree, but i'd want a little evidence.

srinator

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • this is as nitpicky as a nitpick can get. if something can take up to 80% from something's stab attack, can't outspeed it (or won't with those ridiculously specialized evs), and can't damage it at all, it's not a check. that's just way too specialized for oras.

(also, include stealth rock in your calcs.)

Yeah, bad example on my part. D:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • do you have one or more examples of a good mixape team, preferably one where its slot couldn't be better filled by something else? i don't necessarily disagree, but i'd want a little evidence.

Spoiler:

And if you want, here is the team I made around MixApe.
    Spoiler:

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    I still like Regular Infernape better. I mean, If you want a mixed attacker, why not Thunderus?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I still like Regular Infernape better. I mean, If you want a mixed attacker, why not Thunderus?

Against stall, Thundurus can lure in Chansey, cripple it with Knock Off, then go for the finish with Superpower.

Infernape has the virtue of having wider coverage options than Thundurus, so it still gets merit.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I enjoy Infernape's STAB combination + coverage in doubles better than I do more popular choices such as mega Char Y. Plus, in the rare instance it has the opportunity to get that nasty plot up, that heat wave is just as devastating if not moreso than that of his classier mega counterpart.

If those diamond and pearl remakes happen after next gen too; infernape will doubtlessly be given a mega.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I still like Regular Infernape better. I mean, If you want a mixed attacker, why not Thunderus?

Mixed Thundurus is weaker overall and has worse coverage, which means it's not as useful against bulky balance and stall teams. The extra Speed helps a lot against offense, since you outspeed Keldeo, Lati@s and Mega Meta/Diancie (and even Heliolisk but that's really rare).

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Plus, in the rare instance it has the opportunity to get that nasty plot up, that heat wave is just as devastating if not moreso than that of his classier mega counterpart.

I seem to recall a certain multi battle where we took the match with that combo :)

I wonder if that video is still banging around in my Vs. Recorder...

EDIT: Totally found it.

YC8G-WWWW-WW2C-WU34

Last edited:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Reason why Gothitelle shouldn't be banned according to the OU chat:

Spoiler:
    So basically, they don't want to ban Gothi because M-Sableye exists, Weavile and Bisharp are common and stall is shit... wtf

well i originally posted this in the battle videos thread lol

edit: moar log...
    Spoiler:

#Trickster: but gothitelle is really bad so it kind of balances itself on it
    #Trickster: i'm not calling gothitelle a bad pokemon

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Online now
    Once again "the metagame is warped around offense bias" in regards to bans and suspect tests lol, that log basically sums it up and backs up everything ive said. If a poke shits on senpai offense OMG BAN IT NOW 100% BAN VOTES but buttfucks stall and bulky offense? Np lern 2 play etc. :\ The majority of players make me sick with this mindset. So glad i quit.

Speaking of which, how the fuck is Goth shit against offense? I guess trapping Keldeo, Clefable, Manaphy, Breloom and friends doesnt count? How about Lopunny, Starmie etc? Or ~50% stuff like Serperior and Azumarril? Last time i checked these pokemon were abundant on offense. Also i enjoy how even if "Goth is shit against offense" it can still trick a scarf onto stuff like Bisharp or Lati@s and change games and ruin them. No more 50/50's with Bisharp or Lati@s useless at its job with a scarf etc. Even when its "allegedly" useless, Goth STILL fucks something.

Lastly loving the double standards and irrelevance of "but Bisharp and Weavile are things so Goth isnt broken". Firstly by the time you have got said pokemon in, Goth has already trapped and killed another pokemon on your team unless you 100% win double switches (good luck lol). Secondly couldnt you know, say, "well assault vest Goodra and Rotom-W are things lol mega gar and mega ray arent broken". :|
    Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Last edited:

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Not that I'm not itching to revisit the same tired conversation we've been having about Gothitelle for the last 3 months, but I was awfully curious.

What do the little teams under our avatars signify?

Detox

Once again "the metagame is warped around offense bias" in regards to bans and suspect tests lol, that log basically sums it up and backs up everything ive said. If a poke shits on senpai offense OMG BAN IT NOW 100% BAN VOTES but buttfucks stall and bulky offense? Np lern 2 play etc. :\ The majority of players make me sick with this mindset. So glad i quit.

Speaking of which, how the fuck is Goth shit against offense? I guess trapping Keldeo, Clefable, Manaphy, Breloom and friends doesnt count? How about Lopunny, Starmie etc? Or ~50% stuff like Serperior and Azumarril? Last time i checked these pokemon were abundant on offense. Also i enjoy how even if "Goth is shit against offense" it can still trick a scarf onto stuff like Bisharp or Lati@s and change games and ruin them. No more 50/50's with Bisharp or Lati@s useless at its job with a scarf etc. Even when its "allegedly" useless, Goth STILL fucks something.

Lastly loving the double standards and irrelevance of "but Bisharp and Weavile are things so Goth isnt broken". Firstly by the time you have got said pokemon in, Goth has already trapped and killed another pokemon on your team unless you 100% win double switches (good luck lol). Secondly couldnt you know, say, "well assault vest Goodra and Rotom-W are things lol mega gar and mega ray arent broken". :|
    Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

I thought you were retired

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back