• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you designed a region, what 3 starters would it have?

pkmin3033

If we're going traditional starters, then it'd be Rowlet, Torchic, and Piplup. Because birbs are the best.

If not, then maybe...Slowpoke, Magnemite, and Litwick? It's...kinda balanced, I guess?

H e a p.

Banned
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 23, 2022
    Uuh, fakemon. Or maybe, in Paragon-sense, like this;
    - Houndour/Sproink/Scraggy (Dark/Psychic/Fighting)
    - Feebas/Roselia/Litleo (Grass/Water/Fire)

It could be more than three starter, and maybe your rival could pick the opposite types.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Would design new starters.

- Water/Dark burglar dolphin. Regular ability: Magician clone. Hidden ability: Benefits from a second held item if stolen.
    - Fire/Fairy calm deer-like volcano spirit. Regular ability: Treats moves (like Eruption) to always calculate damage as if at full health. Hidden ability: Boosts Normal-type attacks by 20% and turns them into a dual-typed Fire/Fairy move.
    - Grass/Poison thorny rose bush turtle. (Imagines a cross between Torterra, Roselia, and Tangela.) Regular ability: Ensnarl. Inflicts damage and -1 Speed upon being hit by a contact move. Hidden ability: Tosses out a layer of Toxic Spikes upon entering the battlefield.

Treads known ground with Water/Dark and particularly Grass/Poison. Oh well. Wanted a triangle for their secondary types too.

Deserves more personality than stated (like all Pokemon, especially starters). Suffices for a "quick" thought experiment.

Years
  • I've always wanted some different typings on starters... let's see...
    was considering a Dark/Psychic/Fighting type trio but that's already mentioned.

Perhaps a Fairy/Steel/Fighting trio:
    Granbull/Copperajah/Grapploct (all 2 stage monotypes)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, this is actually harder than it sounds because starters should have similar total stats, similar evolution stages and methods, and also the same growth rate to keep it fair.

I can think of Spheal and Sandile, as they have three stages, very similar strength to that of traditional starters in their final forms, and they evolve by levelling up (no trade, no weird items or anything like that) Their first evo occurs a bit late for a starter though so that probably would have to be adjusted for that particular game.

But I'm not sure about the third one. Elekid maybe, because Elekid > Spheal, Spheal > Sandile, and Sandile > Elekid. But its final evolution method would have to be changed.

If not, then maybe...Slowpoke, Magnemite, and Litwick? It's...kinda balanced, I guess?

Magnemite and Litwick probably yes, but Slowpoke is a Pokémon with two stages and branched evolution.

Years
  • I'd like something with Numel, Shellder, and Cottonee! Something about these three seems like it would make a cool combo.

Would love if we had a fire type with a branched evolution so I would say Poliwag and Oddish. :')

Years
    • Seen today
    My region would have Bulbasaur, Litten, and Mudkip as starters. I'd say Totodile, but it can learn Dark type attacks just like Litten, and I think variety is better.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    I always had the funny idea to do a fire elephant, water/ice donkey, and a grass porcupine based on the three most popular American political parties. Elephant = Republicans, Donkey = Democrats, and Porcupine = Libertarians.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Probably something unique to the region. If we're talking already existing ones...Rowlet, Chimchar, Froakie?

If I were to come up with a new triangle then I'd probably go with something the line of Fighting, Dark, Psychic? Flying, Grass (or Bug), Rock also seems like an interesting combination, though...

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Rowlet, Cyndaquil, Oshawott. Objectively correct

I see someone's excited for Legends.

I personally think that Rock/Ground/Ice would work really well as an alternate starter trio. I know Ice doesn't resist Ground (though of course Ice needs more resistances) and a few other things, but I feel it could be very interesting for a mining region of some sort.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Would design new starters.

- Water/Dark burglar dolphin. Regular ability: Magician clone. Hidden ability: Benefits from a second held item if stolen.
    - Fire/Fairy calm deer-like volcano spirit. Regular ability: Treats moves (like Eruption) to always calculate damage as if at full health. Hidden ability: Boosts Normal-type attacks by 20% and turns them into a dual-typed Fire/Fairy move.
    - Grass/Poison thorny rose bush turtle. (Imagines a cross between Torterra, Roselia, and Tangela.) Regular ability: Ensnarl. Inflicts damage and -1 Speed upon being hit by a contact move. Hidden ability: Tosses out a layer of Toxic Spikes upon entering the battlefield.

Treads known ground with Water/Dark and particularly Grass/Poison. Oh well. Wanted a triangle for their secondary types too.

Deserves more personality than stated (like all Pokemon, especially starters). Suffices for a "quick" thought experiment.

"Burglar dolphin" sounds like the most badass idea for a water/dark starter ever. You should be the one getting paid the big bucks.

Years
  • If mixing and matching existing starters, I'd go with Turtwig, Torchic and Froakie for a dual-typed trio, and Grookey, Cyndaquil and Squirtle would work great for a pure-typed set.

Otherwise... perhaps an evolvable Eevee as the singular starter? Or maybe Tyrunt and Amaura as a starter duo - they evolve quite late, but have powerful, rare types that could be useful, as well as being strong against each other.

Another starter duo idea: Deino and Dreepy! They're string against each other, have powerful types to justify being quite weak to begin with, and evolve at so ridiculously high levels that you can happily override them and have them evolving be part of the plot.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Houndour, Beldum, & Riolu.

And you get handed all three. None of this "pick one" BS.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Imagine a "Halloweentown" aesthetic type of region where all the starters were part Ghost?

*Frillish
    *Pumpkaboo
    *Litwick

There are some things I'm not sure on, like Litwick being the only one with three stages, or having a starter (Pumpkaboo) that evolves through trade - but there aren't any evolving Grass/Ghost types that aren't trade evos except Decidueye, which is not a Ghost type until its very final stage, plus I like the idea that you have different gender forms of Frillish and different sizes of Pumpkaboo so even people who pick the same starter can have their own completely individual Pokemon, so I guess we can just ignore that and say it evolves differently somehow in this region.

Back