• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Have you constructed a #-Man Band in your fics, intentionally or otherwise? If so, who falls under which character category?

There's a tv show that just came out on Canadian cartoon television (don't know if its a North America thing), called: Stoked. Now there are plenty of commercials for it, however, the thing that annoyed me the most about it, was the announcer's blatant use of stereotypes to describe the characters:

Broseph the brotherly guy, Kimberly the ditz, John the jock... etc

I was just *facepalming* to hell...

As for my fics, I've mostly used anime canon, so I can't really comment. However, in terms of the future, or things unrelated to Pokemon, I would attempt to avoid such a thing at all costs. (I'd more than likely kill a character if I had to)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    We have Stoked over here in Americania, but I haven't bothered to watch it. |D To answer my own question, though, I didn't even know TV Tropes - or, indeed, a formal explanation to a team composed of different character types - even existed when I started Metal Coat, so that's a big no right there.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Nice to see people and love and on-topicness back.

Have you constructed a #-Man Band in your fics, intentionally or otherwise? If so, who falls under which character category?
    4-Man Bands, yes. It kinda comes naturally to me. Even in real life I kinda work better as part of a 4-Man Band, where I'm usually a mix of The Smart Guy and Anti Hero.

Also I'm almost ready fleshing out a 4-Man Band for the story I should have published first so I can begin publishing *nods to Aurincha*. It has everything except the Big Guy and it is all turned around because there are all girls except The "Non" Action Guy.

Of course, Pokémon teams work as a 6-ManMon Band. Or less, if the Trainer has less Pokémon. Right now, Darius' team of Three (3) in "Elusive Goals" has got everything sans the Smart Guy, plus a bonus role, split between the three Pokémon.

I'm finishing the setup of the "Trainer"'s team in Sixth as one of these. I feel happy enough and I'm close enough to finish the story to give tiny bit of spoilers.

1. The Hero: Electabuzz
    2. The Lancer: Gyarados
    3. The Big Guy: Vigoroth
    4. The Smart Guy: Kirlia
    5. The Chick Non Action Guy: Manectric
    6. Sixth Ranger(IncrediblyLamePun):
    Also...
    Spoiler:

But noa matter how #-ManBand-ish stories are, at least for me these are things that essentially turn out to be like naturally the tropes describe, rather than one planning ahead to meet them. After all, I still associate the concept of Five Man Band mainly with multicolored teams, so...

On another note, I know I owe somewhere here a review, but for the heck of me I can't remember who. Would the so fortunate FFL regular please stand up?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Have you constructed a #-Man Band in your fics, intentionally or otherwise? If so, who falls under which character category?
    No. It works sometimes, but I preferred my main character to have the "I want to be self reliant so there >:|" quality. :P

Feign said:
    Hi-five! :D I love Yes Man.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Lol, no, I haven't seen it, in other news, a totally on topic question:

How do you like your eggs?

Myself I like eggs over-easy or omelet styled with cheese and various vegetables.

EDIT: btw the more the egg puns the better :P

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Have you constructed a #-Man Band in your fics, intentionally or otherwise? If so, who falls under which character category?
    Fortunately, I avoided the five man band trope. But then, when it comes to the number of protagonists, I'm sure my fic will fall into one of these categories. It's inevitable.

I like my eggs scrambled with cheese. Preferably some form of Pepper such as Capsicum.

EDIT:Feign, Ninjaed me. :P

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

In general, I really don't like eggs that much except for omelets.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • How many of you actually believe in the 2012 Doomsday Theory and are preparing for it?
    It is amusing. My favorite version of it is the one that goes "IN 2012 THE SUN'S MAGNETIC POLES WILL REVERSE AND WE WILL ALL DIE."

Spoiler:

I have a Power Trio in The Quest for the Legends (Mark: Ego, May: Id, Alan: Superego) and, to an extent, Scyther's Story (Stormblade: Id, Shadowdart: Superego, Razor: Ego, although Razor doesn't actually do much of a mediation job). Morphic has Loads And Loads Of Characters who don't all interact very much, so I wouldn't say they form anything like this.

I think the closest I've come to writing something like a Five-Man Band is The Second Clone, an old story involving a Furret super-clone and his attempts to escape from the trainer who caught him with that trainer's other Pokémon. The breakdown there would be something like...

The Hero: Denol the Furretwo, a self-absorbed idiot with a clone superiority complex.
    The Lancer: Split between Victoria the Flex (a Ditto evolution I made up) and Mystic the Espeon, both snarky and mean-spirited. Not exactly a contrast to Denol, though. Everybody in that fic was extremely unlikeable, except perhaps Vera.
    The Smart Guy: Leonardo the Treecko fits the bill to a T, what with being a tiny insufferable know-it-all. Kind of out there.
    The Big Guy: Sparky the Electabuzz. Or did I take him out of the revision? He didn't actually do anything besides be there and be lazy.
    The Chick: Vera the Arbok, pretty shy and withdrawn but hates to see the constant tension between Denol and Victoria/Mystic.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

In MKD, sort of with the main group, although as of yet, they're missing a Smart Guy:

The Hero: Viola, quiet but a dreamer.
    The Lancer: Sebastian, loud and more down-to-earth than Viola.
    The Big Guy: Andrew, literally.
    The Chick: Imogen, the voice of reason.

Tropes, yes, and this is supposed to be my more serious fic. But hey, that just goes to show you how I wrote back in high school. (And yet, I still promise to finish it. Someday.)

For AEM, oddly enough, the dynamic just isn't there, despite the fact that the point of the fic is to steal from every trope in the book. I'm thinking it's because there's so few permanent players at this point (because people keep showing up and then deciding they're not going to be part of the traveling circus after all). In a few chapters, once I introduce the other main characters, there might be, however.

Have we seriously run out of bold topics to discuss?

Seriously, though, scrambled, hard-boiled, or as egg-drop soup. I can't actually handle any other way in the mornings.

Offering a new bold topic:

My worst Mary Sues. Let me show you them. Describe your worst, most headdesk-worthy creation and why you like to pretend they never existed. Extra credit goes to whoever provides links to the fics in which they appeared.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Dragonfree said:
    It is amusing. My favorite version of it is the one that goes "IN 2012 THE SUN'S MAGNETIC POLES WILL REVERSE AND WE WILL ALL DIE."
    My favourite would have to be that the Earth would flip over and the sun would rise from the west. (About that last part, it's a sign of the end in my religion(sunrise from the west))

My worst Mary Sues. Let me show you them. Describe your worst, most headdesk-worthy creation and why you like to pretend they never existed. Extra credit goes to whoever provides links to the fics in which they appeared.
    I think I had one when I was writing back in Primary School. I didn't have any Internet back then so I can't provide a link. I think it was some form of superhero probably based on Spiderman and some other heroes. Wait maybe they were robots? I struggle to remember these things. Ah well.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I don't have a Mary-sue atm, but for the fun of it, I'll have you guys groan on a thing I will make up right now:

Little 8 year old Timmy was an orphan, he did not know love and suffered for it. He was timid, shy and decrepit. Living on the streets he lived day by day, trying to find scraps of food. One day, he found a dying fairy near a dumpster. He picked it up, and it spoke to him.

"Dear boy, I am about to expire, please take my power, so that you shall save those who are in need of help." As she said this, a blue aura spilled from her, and began to encompass Timmy. He was scared, yet not scared enough to run away.

When the aura had finally encompassed him, it no sooner had died away. The fairy too, became lifeless.

Determined to fulfill the fairy's wishes he set out to help those people in need. He began to test his powers, and with gaining confidence, was able to quickly master them.

FAST FORWARD

And Timmy found some foster parents who were willing to take him in, since he had helped save them with his powers, and they lived happily ever after.

Awwww XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Feign said:
    I don't have a Mary-sue atm, but for the fun of it, I'll have you guys groan on a thing I will make up right now:

Little 8 year old Timmy was an orphan, he did not know love and suffered for it. He was timid, shy and decrepit. Living on the streets he lived day by day, trying to find scraps of food. One day, he found a dying fairy near a dumpster. He picked it up, and it spoke to him.

"Dear boy, I am about to expire, please take my power, so that you shall save those who are in need of help." As she said this, a blue aura spilled from her, and began to encompass Timmy. He was scared, yet not scared enough to run away.

When the aura had finally encompassed him, it no sooner had died away. The fairy too, became lifeless.

Determined to fulfill the fairy's wishes he set out to help those people in need. He began to test his powers, and with gaining confidence, was able to quickly master them.

FAST FORWARD

And Timmy found some foster parents who were willing to take him in, since he had helped save them with his powers, and they lived happily ever after.

Awwww XD
    Sounds like a Fairy Tale. Lol.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Remind me not to come to you for pun joke suggestions. XD :P

Man I should be working on my fic a bit right now...

Bay

Years
    NE, no. The thing is Jacob is the more driven person and Bunny just wants to get out of the wanted criminal situation. Jenny can be The Chick, I suppose though. XD

It would have to be Destiny from Destiny's Tricks, despite the story being a parody. :x Don't really want to explain, so you guys can just read it yourselves. :P

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

Hahaha, yeah. I completely walked right into this one with the Chronicles.

The Hero: Ren
    The Lancer: Kairn
    The Big Guy: Houndoom
    The Smart Guy: Latios
    The Chick: Latias

The roles aren't really as straight cut as that (for instance, Latias also fits the hero category, and Ren also goes in the smart guy and chick slots), but the elements are definitely there.

Btw, great find with the Daft Punk thing, whoever found that. Oh, and this is what Daft Punk was doing when everyone else was listening to that silly 90's stuff.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back