• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your gym puzzle

Teppanyaki

is a Japanese Dish
Years
  • My puzzle would be like a triathlon:
    1. Player has to cook a curry dish, if they get the wrong ingredient, they have to battle a trainer
    2. Player has to walk through a maze, but it will be full of booby traps. If the player triggers a booby trap, they have to battle the trainer that set up the trap
    3. Player has to swim through an ocean that has currents, if the player lands in a current, they have to battle a trainer
    If they succeed, they get to battle me!

Years
  • just thought of an interesting one. Sludge Maze. you enter a labyrinth filled with toxic sludge and it poisons your Pokemon from the get go. no use using healing items either; they're gonna be repoisoned with every step taken. you gotta make sure to take the least amount of steps possible to reach me, and perhaps try and avoid all my trainers along the way as well. if not, well then it's back to the starting line for you bucko.

don't worry though, because as soon as you get to me, your team gets healed back to full health and we can have a proper match!

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    My gym puzzle would be:

Nothing! I would have a straight line of trainers on a tight hallway and you are forced to battle everyone to get to me. But healing items aren't allowed in battle or in the overworld, only PP restoring items are allowed. You get healed when you get to me though.

But if I really had to have a gym puzzle, it would be Diving under a pool and finding hidden pool toys within the time limit, if you can't find all the hidden pool toys in the time limit, you have to battle trainers.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • Mine would be a set of trails rather than a puzzle. The first trial would be a surfing race. The second would be a water gun target accuracy trial where mons would have to hit various targets with water gun. Trainers would need to win at least one of these trails before facing me in battle.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • honestly i'll just have a jasmine style gym lmao no gym trainers no bs just fight me

Years
  • I think I'd go Dark and put my challengers through a series of cool movie-style supervillain death traps escape rooms, while they get to play the action hero and have to escape them in limited time. If they fail, fun consequences happen:
    • Failed to escape the Carvanha tank trap? Enjoy a horde encounter with our Carvanha and then take on our Sharpedo - or get away from him, if you can!
    • Stepped on the lasers in the laser hallway? The Gym Trainer will notice you!
    • Didn't figure out the room with the walls closing in? Don't worry, the floor will open from underneath you and send you to a Gym Trainer!
    If you make it through alive, you get to battle me!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Assuming I was a Bug-type Gym Leader, I could imagine trainers having to take photos of specific Pokémon (Poké Finder-style?) and present them in order to progress. The further you progress, the harder it'll be to find the Pokémon (for example, one of the last Pokémon you'd have to find may be a Burmy blending into a tree).

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Assuming I was a Bug-type Gym Leader, I could imagine trainers having to take photos of specific Pokémon (Poké Finder-style?) and present them in order to progress. The further you progress, the harder it'll be to find the Pokémon (for example, one of the last Pokémon you'd have to find may be a Burmy blending into a tree).

So basically, it's Pokémon Snap but a bit harder?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My puzzle would be... no puzzle. Just something as simple as: here there's some trainers, want to warm-up or get some extra exp? fight them.

I honestly never understood why gym puzzles are considered so important, I'd rather want to remember gyms because of how exciting and memorable the battle against their leader was than because of a puzzle that took me more time to solve than the actual leader fight :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    My puzzle would be... no puzzle. Just something as simple as: here there's some trainers, want to warm-up or get some extra exp? fight them.

I honestly never understood why gym puzzles are considered so important, I'd rather want to remember gyms because of how exciting and memorable the battle against their leader was than because of a puzzle that took me more time to solve than the actual leader fight :)
    Would be kinda boring if every gym was just "walk up to the leader and kick their ass", especially for a focal point of the gameplay.

You're not wrong in that the gym leader battle itself should be exciting, but that and having a good gym puzzle don't have to be mutually exclusive either.

Back