• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Does the Shiny Charm lessen value?

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
This seems to be a controversial subject, but does the shiny charm make shinies too easy to get? I'm considering getting one, but the fear of making shinies too common scares me off from it.

Years
Alright so, I have a lot to say on this, so bear with me! The short answer of it is... maybe? I'm leaning no, though.

I suppose there's validity to the perspective of the Shiny Charm decreasing value, but even without the Shiny Charm, you can SOS Chain for shinies fine without it and make some decent progress assuming you have the patience. In general, SM made it super easy (or at least, significantly easier than in past titles) to encounter shinies, thanks to the introduction of the SOS Chaining method as well as the the ease of obtaining the Shiny Charm, since you only need to complex the regional dex to obtain it.

That all said, it's not like you're near-guaranteed to encounter shinies every battle or anything like that. I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but even with the Shiny Charm + SOS Chaining, you'd still have to work quite a bit to get a shiny. Of course, luck can play into this, as well. The same can go for the Masuda Method in which case I believe the Shiny Charm has an effect on that too, but be prepared for the outcome of probably hatching hundreds of eggs for that shiny which will be a tedious task, to say the least.

This is all to say that while it is easier to encounter shinies than in past generations, shinies themselves aren't really less valuable, I don't think.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I personally find full-odds Shinies more rewarding. I racked-up a few boxes of Shinies using rate-boosting methods (Masuda method, chaining, etc.), but it got to the point that I wondered if any of these would've been Shiny even if I hadn't been using these methods, and if that would've made them feel more special to me. I've only hunted full-odds since then.

However, the value of a Shiny Pokémon (full-odds or otherwise) is up to the individual. Despite my Shiny Dunsparce, Glaceon, and Persian not being full-odds, they're all still very special to me.

Last edited:
Years
for me, full odds shiny hunting is more fun because you need tons of luck and patience to get one. nothing bad using a shiny charm tho

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I feel it's fine because it requires achieving a long-term goal (complete the dex) to get the charm. Any devalue really would be in the ease of getting the Shiny Charm itself - the shift from gen 6 (complete the national dex for the Shiny Charm) to gen 7 ("what's a national dex lmao").

Regardless, you're still lucky to find a shiny, with or without it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
The value will depends on the person, and what they consider "too easy".

If you use both the Shiny Charm and the Masuda Method, you have about a 1/455 (0.22%) chance of the egg hatching a shiny Pokemon. Using just one of the those methods gives you a 1/1365 (0.07%) chance of a shiny Pokemon.

Years
Regardless, you're still lucky to find a shiny, with or without it.

Agreed. I'd rather have the Shiny Charm to make hunting for shinies a little less painful. It's always nice to achieve a shiny with the regular/normal rates but even with the charm (see Nah's post above), they are still more than low enough to be excited over and considered an achievement. Plus after months of soft resetting 12,000 times and not getting anything things can get exhausting and you want to move on already.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Quantitatively, yes, it does half the value of a Shiny. But at the end of the day, a Shiny's still a Shiny, and a Pokémon's qualitative value is what matters most.

Years
From someone who has played the games from day one (stopped at B2/W2), back when the odds were in the 8000's, I feel it lessens it a BIT, but not totally. Yes, it's easier to get, but then the value of a shiny is defined by the person who has it, so it's all just down to the person.

I see them as something still cool and nice to have, regardless of the odds.

Alyssandra

in Wonderland
Years
Full odds are a nice surprise; I have only encountered it three times in twenty years (Hoothoot in Crystal, Audino in Black, and Spinarak in Ultra Sun (as of this morning) + Gyarados, of course). The breeding method (shiny charm + Masuda) is definitely my preferred method, though, despite having a eugenics undertone. I can "create" my ideal Pokemon by chaining down moves, latching on IVs, etc. The process in itself is very rewarding. When a shiny pops up part-way through, it's always welcomed. I don't think the "value" is inherently diminished, however, as they are still very rare and the egg moves and build are probably not replicated anywhere else, especially if region of origin is tossed into that mix.

Last edited:

CoreBear

Pokémon Master
Years
The value doesn't rely on how it's obtained - it is based on personal value, if you ask me. If you like the pokemon, than that's the worth. Well, not a solid way of pointing out values, but it works to an extent

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
In my case I have the shiny charm and only way I've got a shiny was through breeding.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
I have a question regarding this, I've finished pokemon moon. I'm now going through pokemon ultra sun, but my question is, would it be better to get the shiny charm in moon or ultra sun, and can I even get all the pokemon in ultra sun for the charm?

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
I have a question regarding this, I've finished pokemon moon. I'm now going through pokemon ultra sun, but my question is, would it be better to get the shiny charm in moon or ultra sun, and can I even get all the pokemon in ultra sun for the charm?

I have it for Ultra Moon, just transferred things over from Sun/Moon plus some from X/Y and ORAS. I'm not entirely sure how I got it. I think its just from completing the Aloan dex.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
The value of a shiny is completely up to the beholder. Some people don't value shinies at all because they only care about competitive value (Nature, Ability, IVs, etc. ...). Some people only value full-odds shinies. Some people only value shinies they think look nice, which is another completely case-by-case basis. And this isn't even considering that some people just hack Pokémon to be shiny for themselves.

Even with the shiny charm, which is a challenge to obtain, there are plenty of people who still haven't encountered many, if any, shinies. So no, I don't think the shiny charm in its current state devalues any shinies, because every individual values shinies differently anyways.

Back