• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: How Well Each Type Fares in OU Competitive

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So, as the title suggests, I was thinking of doing a series on showing how well each Pokémon type does in competitive play. For now I'm going to stick with OU, which is what most people play, but maybe when this particular series is over I could move on to other metagames?

Anyway, for example:

Fire.

Which Fire Pokemon would you mostly see in OU, Which Fire-type moves wold most likely be in OU, how to team build with and use certain Fire type pokemon, and finally, how to prepare for them.

Those sorts of things I had in mind, but if you guys have any suggestions, feel free to state them! But this is a proposal nonetheless; what do you think?

Years
  • I definitely support this idea, especially for newcomers to competitive to want to see how the types stack up.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Seems like a neat idea! Would you go with Fire first, or something else?
    Which Fire Pokemon would you mostly see in OU, Which Fire-type moves wold most likely be in OU, how to team build with and use certain Fire type pokemon, and finally, how to prepare for them.
    Maybe something before it discussing the fire type in general and their typical strengths/weaknesses?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Seems like a neat idea! Would you go with Fire first, or something else? Maybe something before it discussing the fire type in general and their typical strengths/weaknesses?

What sort of weaknesses do you mean, though? Like how Fire is weak to Water? Or something like "Fire-types are generally frail"?

Also, is this going to be one article? It might be suuuuper long, but I think if it's informative it'd be a nice read.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Can I take Ice?

Great idea, although with the shift to SM OU coming soon, we may want to hold any and all comp analysi (I'm going with that) until the SM OU meta has time to shake out.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Can I take Ice?

Great idea, although with the shift to SM OU coming soon, we may want to hold any and all comp analysi (I'm going with that) until the SM OU meta has time to shake out.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • What sort of weaknesses do you mean, though? Like how Fire is weak to Water? Or something like "Fire-types are generally frail"?

Also, is this going to be one article? It might be suuuuper long, but I think if it's informative it'd be a nice read.
    While a reminder of typings may not hurt, I was thinking more of the latter.

One article per typing imo, although we can entertain splitting them up if they do end up pretty long.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Can I take Ice?

Actually I was planning to type the series myself. D:

Even in Smogon that won't happen for a couple of months, so, when the meta shifts, I can type fresh new articles for that.

What sort of weaknesses do you mean, though? Like how Fire is weak to Water? Or something like "Fire-types are generally frail"?

Actually, I'm thinking something like: 'How well do they adapt to the metagame?', 'are they better offensively or defensively in OU?' or 'Do they perform better early, mid, or late game?' maybe even, 'what team strategy do they struggle against?'

Yes, as the OP says, this is going to be a series, so, I'll only do one per type~

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree with one article covering each type, but as ddrox said, since 7th Gen is going to be approaching soon we'll wait and see how 7th Gen metagame holds up and you consider holding off the project until then if that's your choice.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I agree with one article covering each type, but as ddrox said, since 7th Gen is going to be approaching soon we'll wait and see how 7th Gen metagame holds up and you consider holding off the project until then if that's your choice.
    I disagree. Three months is a fair amount of time, and the metagame will be far from settled when the games come out. I don't think this should be held up for 3+ months - after all, we're still going to have other battling articles before then. And at worst we can always retroactively edit articles so they're up to date too, if people want that to happen. That's easy enough to implement. tl;dr - let articles start now and when SM comes out we'll adapt to that situation.

Although this does now get the idea to me maybe some planning for possible early SM articles about battling may well be necessary... going to have to mull over this.

Going to say Dragon that you are pretty ambitious on planning to cover every typing yourself. =p That's fine, but as long as you're aware of it being what seems to me a big project.

Years
  • I just want to add that with no new types being added and only so many new pokemon coming in for each type, the general traits of each type will remain relatively unchanged going into the SM meta anyway so there should be no problems here. Poison isn't suddenly going to be a type known for special sweepers and bad defense over the course of a single new generation and Ice will still be a terrible defensive choice three gens from now probably xD

Years
  • I disagree. Three months is a fair amount of time, and the metagame will be far from settled when the games come out. I don't think this should be held up for 3+ months - after all, we're still going to have other battling articles before then. And at worst we can always retroactively edit articles so they're up to date too, if people want that to happen. That's easy enough to implement. tl;dr - let articles start now and when SM comes out we'll adapt to that situation.

Although this does now get the idea to me maybe some planning for possible early SM articles about battling may well be necessary... going to have to mull over this.

I guess you do have a point in that you could get every article done before S/M's release (and maybe even shortly after release since the new metagame will, as you said take a lot of time to shape). Then maybe when the new metagame comes into effect, there can be a separate set of articles done that focus on the next generation of competitive play.

As Gimme said, since the types will be absolutely unchanged going into the 7th Gen metagame I guess there will be nothing new needed at this stage.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Approved. Copying a post across for your first article then to the Workshop section (but if you'd rather you could draft straight into wordpress if you'd rather).

Back