• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Today I learned you can directly press copy image and paste it into Twitter in Windows 10. I was never able to do that on Windows 7, so I was surprised. I always thought you had to save an image to paste it.

Years
  • I learned that the real Obiwan Kenobi could use the force. By Obiwan I mean the great actor who played him in the original Star Wars trilogy, Sir Alec Guinness. He was a very esteemed actor who made many classic movies like Scrooge, Oliver Twist, Dr. Zhivago, The Bridge Over the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and he's one of my favorites, and I recently learned that just like his character the wise Jedi knight Obiwan Kenobi in Star Wars, he really could sense things. This is an eerie story I heard from a friend while we were watching Star Wars last night, and I had to look it up see if it was true this morning because it sounded so incredible, but it seems to check out.

In 1955 Guinness met the phenomenally talented young up-and-coming actor James Dean outside a restaurant. Dean was friendly and excited, and showed off his brand new car, a beautiful spyder porsche, to Guinness. As he looked at the vehicle Guinness felt this vibe that he could only describe as sinister, and tried to warn Dean not to drive this one. He said to him in front of witnesses, "If you get in that car, you will be found dead in it by this time next week."

Tragically, James Dean, the legend, was killed in a car accident just a week later. I knew that James Dean had this heartbreaking untimely death in a car collision before he was even 25 years old. I didn't know though until this week that someone had come to him, and predicted his death right before it happened. I have got chills thinking of it.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Today I learned that Windows often won't shut down even when you do press the Shut Down button.

Modern Windows Versions have this feature called "Fast Startup" (often) enabled by default, which means that when shutting down Windows really goes into a bit of a zombie state so it can boot faster when you turn the PC on again.

This makes booting into another OS harder than it needed to be.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Today I learned video editing!
    I have to do a video for a scientific popularization contest (kind of like "My Thesis In 3 Minutes") and I learned today how.
    New skills to add to the Kabutops: mathematics, programming, editing, cutting people into dice, and surviving at least three mass extinctions.
    Wow, that sounds great!

Spoiler:
    Today I learned these ^ really interesting things! (Spoilered because it would make the post too big)

And yes now it's my turn to share something, so here goes. This was explained to me by my grandfather, who's sort of a lore geek. It's about the story behind why Durva grass/Indian Doob grass (Cynodon dactylon, belonging to family Poaceae to be specific) is used as an offering in the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi:
    A powerful demon named Analasur terrorized the people. The Devas consulted Lord Shiva, asking for his help and protection. Lord Shiva directed them to his son, Lord Ganesha (the God for whom the festival is now being held). Lord Ganesha battled the demon and swallowed him up.
    This seemed like a victory, but this act caused lord Ganesha a lot of agony. The devas tried their best to help him, but to little avail. Then numerous sages offered the grass (popularly called Durva) in 21 stacks and cured him of the pain. In commemoration of this tale of legends, the Durva grass is offered during this festival

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Today I learned that despite Gold and Silver being the second highest selling Pokémon games of all times, Crystal was the least selling 3rd version game of the entire franchise (and the least selling main game in general, not counting VC rereleases).

FireRed and LeafGreen were also the least selling remakes, including Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee who have already outsold it.

Years
    • Seen today
    Came to the realization that my attention span is awful

One moment i'm watching a horror video

The next i'm tabbed onto google typing "Who who would captain america or batman"

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Today I learned that seaponies aren't baby seahorses, but a specific species of seahorses.

edfrick

Pilot of EVA-00
    Years
    • Age 22
    • they/them
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    Today, I learned how to heavily edit a CSS post flair to make my post flair lol, pretty happy with it but now I need to figure out how to put an image or gif as a signature or make one in general.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Today, I learned how to heavily edit a CSS post flair to make my post flair lol, pretty happy with it but now I need to figure out how to put an image or gif as a signature or make one in general.

Code:
    [img]link to image or gif here[/img]

You can use a service like imgur to host the image. If you click on your avatar (top right on the navbar), you should have an option to go to Settings, there you should have an option to edit your Signature.

As for the topic, today I learned that GAA's autoplay also works for investigation scenes - yay!

edfrick

Pilot of EVA-00
    Years
    • Age 22
    • they/them
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    Code:
    [img]link to image or gif here[/img]

You can use a service like imgur to host the image. If you click on your avatar (top right on the navbar), you should have an option to go to Settings, there you should have an option to edit your Signature.

As for the topic, today I learned that GAA's autoplay also works for investigation scenes - yay!

Update, guess I learned something else new! Thanks!

Years
    • Seen today
    I never knew how easy it was to erase discord. I've been meaning to rid my account.

I logged on for a bit today and noticed it was just a big red button. No complications or anything. I commend them for the simplicity.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Today I learned itunes and apple gift cards can both be used to pay for in app purchases and it's not just one of them that can. (I'm an android user okay, so of course I wouldn't know this.)

Years
  • Today I learned some interesting things about the hairstyle of twisted braids in long, thick rope-like patterns we call "locs" or "dreads," and the spiritual context that wearing one's hair this way has had India.

In Sanskrit it's called Jaṭā. Jata-mukuta is a headdress formed of piled, matted hair fit for the Gods. Images of Brahma, Chamunda and especially Shiva have been depicted with jatas, in fact aother way of referring to the hairdo is Shiva's Jata, and one of the titles given to Shiva is Jatadhara, meaning--who has a heap of matted hair on the head/ bearer of twisted locks.

His hair is said to be so magnificent and coiling that it was able to contain the entire Ganges! Ahen the Goddess Ganga, who represents the river, fell to earth it was Lord Shiva who broke her fall by catching Ganga in his labyrinth of hair, and releasing her into 7 streams Bhagirathi, Janhvi, Bhilangna, Mandakini, Rishiganga, Saraswati and Alaknanda. So this was all really interesting for me to read about.

There are wandering aesetics devoted to Shiva called Shaiva Sadhus, who put ash on themselves and renounce worldly temptations and possesions, and wear their hair in jatas that can be extremely long, perhaps upswept in buns.

I don't think i could wear jatas because i get headaches easily. Even just putting my hair in curlers to set it for styles can put some strain on my temples, but the heaviness of Jatas I am told is part of the spiritual experience actually. By putting weight on pressure points in your body it is believed to bring you certain energies, with the crown chakra, representing your connection to the divine, being on top of your head. The idea is that the weight of the Jatas pulls on that and opens up this chakra for you.

My dad wears dreadlocks, and next time we hang out together I want to share some of what I learned today with him.

It's interesting to me how many places in the world throughout history have sported such hairdos. I mean there have been ancient Egyptian mummies unearthed with dreads, there was also a mummy with hair from the burial grounds at Chauchilla in Peru. There are bronze age sculptures and frescoes from the Minoan civilization, later Greece, depicting humans with similarly braided hair. Warriors of the Fula and Wolof people of West Africa and the Maasai and Kikuyu tribes of Kenya also lock their hair. We have photos of native American chieftans in dreads like Pîhtokahanapiwiyin of Cree. Dreads are also associated with the Rastafari movement in Jamaica. It's a style that transcends many cultures, and can be worn by truly anyone.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • sorry to post in here again so soon but today i learned that Disney basically has the rights to Black Rock Shooter in the United States now and I'm scared.

Years
    • Seen today
    Putting hand sanitizer on a bleeding hand is really stupid, and leads to extreme burning.

Back