• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Years
  • TIL in order for a bakery to be considered a bakery in France, they have to make and bake their dough from scratch. There's apparently a law that enforces this. (the exact wording might be a bit off, but I learned this in a documentary in my French class)
    Ngl I wish we had that here in the US. If a bakery can't even use their own dough you may as well just go to the baked goods section at Walmart.

Getting to the point, TIL that it's possible to install Android on a modded Nintendo Switch.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    TIL that a guy made a movie in 2016 that is literally just 10 hours of paint drying, and he did it as a protest and fuck you to the British film board

some poor bastards had to watch the whole fucking thing

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • TIL that Mickey Mouse will be entering the public domain on January 1, 2024. This year will be the last year for Disney to celebrate his "birthday" (which, according to the article that I read, is the day that the animation Steamboat Willie debuted- November 18)

Years
  • TIL that In old English a person's body was called bānhūs, their bone-house. Uhtceare is another interesting word, which literally translates to dawn-sorrow, and it expresses feelings of angst one might experience while lying in bed at night. Love it!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Apparently around 2010 the US military made a new supercomputer for itself, mainly compromised of ~1700 PS3s, because it was way cheaper to do it that way yet still met their needs lol

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • TIL they send you a Form 1099 when you're left with an inheritance even if the money goes to a trust fund and not directly to you. They don't send it to the trustee that controls said trust even though they're the one who needs it for taxes.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • A week ago, I learned that Shinjuku Jack (or Shinjuku Jacky), who was assumed to be either the closest thing to an android Trainer we'd get or a reference to Virtua Fighter borne from Sugimori's love for Sega games, is actually a dev insert of sorts for a VF player who went by that name. That is, not even an in-game character; just an avatar for a real person in the vein of the Game Freak staff. At least, this is what the developer behind the Kanto Expansion Pak hack claims.

Today I started coming to terms with it. I still hope I haven't been too creepy about Jack himself, but now I'm ready to accept this version as the true one.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I just now learned that if you quote someone's message and hit enter to separate the lines it'll split the quoted message into different parts instead of just putting extra lines into the quote itself. I feel dumb for all the times I've quoted the same message into a response seven times and split up all the different parts myself... ;;

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Master of Puppets by Metallica is almost 9 minutes long o_o

I had this song on my playlist and wasn't even aware of the length.

Years

• Til that the oldest sunglasses- more specifically ski goggles, were designed by the Inuit and Yupik people, and date as far back as 2,000 years ago.
    They were made to shield the eyes from the glare of the sun reflecting on the snow around them. The goggles had narrow, horizontal splits to limit the amount of light entering their eye, and also were made with a curved shape so that while their sight was protected, they would still have an unobstructed field of vision. This design also kept condensation from their breath and body heat from clouding their gaze. It was durable eyewear-- they can be found intact after so much time after all. The Inuits fashioned them from many different materials they obtained, wood, antler, ivory, as long as it was strong. They decorated these babies, and even carved them to fit the facial dimensions of the individual wearer, not unlike glasses can be tailored to you today.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Tiffany didn't write "I think we're alone now".

and honestly, the original is just as good, if not better.

Back