• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Grass Starter

Years
  • Just wondering what you think the best grass starter is. I notice that they get a lot of hate, but I think that they are the best, so I was just curious what your favorite out of all of them is. Just including the base stage(which you don't have to do), for me it's Rowlet or Bulbasaur.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    For just the base stage, Rowlet. For the line as a whole, Sprigatito (with Rowlet next). Bases these on design, not battle.

Views Grass as an okay choice. Picked it 3 of 9 times (Treecko, Snivy, and Sprigatito) on the first playthrough. Usually favors Water (5/9).

Years
  • The Chikorita line and Sprigatito line are my favorite Grass starters.
    I don't actively dislike any of them though, except for Quilladin.

I picked the Grass starter first in Johto, Hoenn, Galar, Hisui and Paldea lol.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't see them being hated. Seems more like an issue many players have with Grass being statistically one of the worst types in terms of type match-ups, making the other two seem much better choices.

Sure, we know that what matters at the end is the team, not each Pokémon individually, and there would be times in which a Grass type might be just what a team needs, but since the starter is the first Pokémon, and many players seem to build their teams around them, picking Grass feels like starting off on the wrong foot, as there will be allways more weaknesses and things to worry about compared to Fire or Water, which offer a more solid team building foundation.

Personally, Grass is my most used starter type, and one of my most used types overall. I had every Grass starter in at least one team so far, except for Chespin and Sprigatito, and five of them have been my first playthrough choice. My favorites are the Turtwig and Rowlet lines.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The ones that I like the best are Meowscarada, Decidueye, and Sceptile. HA Rillaboom is fun.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I've initially chosen Grass 5/9 Gens.

Chikorita's line wins out for me. Mainly because it was my very first Starter in the games and some of their TCG cards are really nostalgic (especially Bayleef #28, which I pulled from my very first Neo Genesis pack IIRC).

Divided into stages though, I think I prefer Sprigatito to Chikorita. I love cats, and Chikorita's anatomy is admittedly weird. I've been liking Servine a lot too lately, but I think Bayleef's nostalgia factor still has it in the lead.

I'm not a fan of Quilladin, Dartrix, Grotle, or Meowscarada.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I can say that Bulbasaur is my favourite grass starter - poison type starter too - having even been my first ever Pokémon choice as well. How do I like to use my Venusaur? Simply put, as a semi-tank with leech seed and protect, followed by stabbed giga drain and sludge bomb as its attacking moves. I also really enjoyed its mega evolved form during the 6th and 7th generation, since the thick fat ability and rather tropical looks were awesome for the Kanto starter.

Years
  • I love them! For me the best are Chikorita and Sprigatito, but I adore Bulbasaur too. Snivy also. Grass starters have the best designs honestly even if their stats/moves aren't that great in the earlier gens. <3

Years
  • The more I think about it, grass mons are my most picked starters. I don't have a problem with any grass starters except for Chikorita not being a good enough wall. Still has access to dual screens at least. Bulbasaur is hands down one of my favorite starters of all time from its cute design and great movepool in powder moves, synthesis, leech seed, light screen, giga drain, toxic, and sludge bomb. Plus it has a mega evolution. If the Kanto starters are obtainable, I will always go Bulbasaur first.

Treecko line I think is amazing, but I just like Mudkip far more. All the Sinnoh starters are well designed and I have used all three; and I can say Torterra's design is the best. That grass/ground combo can go to town. Snivy is my favorite of gen 5 because of its design and speed, along with its HA Contrary. Without Contrary it is a weaker Sceptile, but I would still use swords dance or coil then rush in with leaf blade. I really loved using Chespin/Chesnaught throughout my playthrough of X as a grass/fighter. Leech seed + Spike shield + spikes shenanigans were fun to mess around with. Quilladin as a mid evolution is quite unappealing for being too round and simplistic in design as well as having an ugly looking 3D model. Other than Meganium, the only grass-mon I was disappointed by was Decidueye because of its stats. It was too slow and its defenses were mediocre to tank along with several weaknesses. Has a great attacking movepool if you can survive the 1st hit otherwise, which I guess makes it better than Meganium in my book.

I have yet to play the switch pokemon games.

Trinidad0s4

Trinidad0s4
    Years
  • Favorite grass starter is between treeco and snivy because not only are there cool looking but the amount of move pool that they have is insane

BluShell

Lost in the Sound
    Years
  • My overall favorite would have to be Torterra. Its design, the inspiration behind said design, and its "underdog" status relative to the other Sinnoh starters always made it stand out more to me.

Regarding base forms, it's a tough choice between Turtwig and Rowlet, but I do find Bulbasaur and Snivy pretty cool as well.

Stinky Ghast

you smelt it, therefore, you're the one who dealt
    Years
  • Generally I think the grass starters are pretty solid all things considered. Not all perfect ofc but the most perfect is rowlet. Love it's whole evolution line design, typing (I'm a sucker for ghost types), and even it's arceus regional evolution I think is great.

also it's a cute round owl

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • The Grass starters are usually my favorites, and my favorites of them are Treecko and Rowlet. Still not entirely sure whom I'd give the edge to, as I like them about as equally. In terms of evolution lines, Grovyle has more charisma than Dartrix, but Decidueye has more style than Sceptile so I'm still not sure which I prefer.

unovaboo

Three Dewotts in a Trenchcoat
    Years
  • For grass starters that I've used, I gotta go with Sprigatito. Sprigatito itself is adorable, Floragato is easily the best design for a middle stage starter that we've gotten since Dewott, and I find Meowscarada's magician theme to be fascinating. It helps that I'm not usually bothered by bipedal starter evolutions. I'm also a huge cat person in general, so having a proper cat starter was like a dream come true.

For grass starters that I haven't personally used (yet), it's a tie between Snivy and Rowlet.

While Oshawott is my personal favorite Unova starter, I adore all three of them. The Snivy line has always enchanted me, from their designs to their lore and their anime appearances. I find the smug appearance of Snivy itself to be simultaneously endearing and amusing, Servine is one of the most strikingly beautiful middle stage evos I've seen, and Serperior's regal aura never fails to captivate me whenever I see it. Not to mention its hidden ability, which transforms it into a formidable sweeper under the right circumstances.

My love for Rowlet is far easier to explain. Small orbular owl who evolves into ghost archer owl wearing a hood. What's not to love?

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2023
    For me Rowlet and spirigatito lines are the best, for the first phase i really like Rowlet, for the second I'm still with Rowlet line, Dartrix, but for the Thirth phase i love Meowscarada, not only because of the little flower on his shoulderz but even because his mask gives him a mysterious aura

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • lmfao treecko

obviously going to say treecko it's my favorite pokemon of all time how can I not say it's the best of all the Grass starters??

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    For me it's Sprigatito. I was leaning toward it when the starters were first revealed, and after seeing its evolutions, I really fell in love with it.

Back