• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • I have an HP printer that jams paper every now and then. I don't know why I haven't bothered replacing it since I've had it for a few years now. xD Been too lazy.

& ahhh I'm such the go-to person when it comes to tech support. Once my family found out I graduated with an IT degree, I've been spammed with facebook messages about tech support help & stuff. It's awesome. haha

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm actually glad that the old HP printer in my parents' home got replaced since all that did was waste paper in jams.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • HP printers used to be really good but now they're complete and utter garbage. My parents still have an HP multifunction machine that I got in middle or high school and it still works to this day, but they tried to replace it with another HP and it died within a couple months.

I'm a Canon and Epson fan myself - right now I have an Epson and it's awesome. Fast, easy to use, no issues with it, and it doesn't use much ink.

Years
  • Unfortunately my printer is an HP printer/scanner/copier combination.. but it does work, although it's a little shaky sitting on my desk >_<

I've had it for three years now though and I probably should print something to make sure the current ink cartridges still work. I don't really use it as much anymore but my parents got it for me so that I didn't have to ask to borrow their printer whenever I needed to print an assignment out, especially in color.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Sometimes I do wonder why do all these HP printers just start dying over the place... After switching back to Canon and sticking with it, I've met no issues over the years. The only problem seems to be them being fingerprint and dust magnets on the surface.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    IIRC the wonders of obsolescence require a chip in each printer that gives a command to it to die after a certain amount of prints...

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    IIRC the wonders of obsolescence require a chip in each printer that gives a command to it to die after a certain amount of prints...

Certainly didn't affect Canon, then. I've run through so many sheets of A4 and 4R photo paper on an older model over a somewhat long time that it didn't die - it was simply obsoleted. The new printers are still working as if they were new.

Besides, these are the stuff of conspiracy theories. Planned obsolescence is something that's pretty iffy at best from my personal experience - when something doesn't work, it's usually something that I wasn't looking out for in the first place.

Years
  • My experience with HPs has been that the cheap ones are, well, cheap, and the high-end consumer ones and the enterprise-oriented ones are much more reliable. We just got a new one in at work for our receptionist the other day that's a beast. That black & white HP LaserJet Enterprise 600 can print pages like no other printer I've ever seen before. It's a pricy printer, though.

This applies to both their PCs and their printers.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    We have a HP desktop at home that's a tank in its own accord. It's been going for over 10 years, and it's currently running 7. It's pretty reliable, although a friend of mine has gone through 2 HP laptops.

*wonders what's Team Fail's friend's story with the laptops*

I find it a bit curious that, statistically, HP laptops have a 1-in-4 chance of breaking within a certain period of time, according to a 2012 study, I think. I think I've posted a link to it here sometime before.

Years
  • I can be one to say my laptop probably got pushed a lot to its limit, being that it's an HP product, but they certainly do excel in some ways too. My desktop is an HP desktop, with the exception that it has a newer hard drive in it because its older one died, but hard drives dying happen all the time.

The desktop is roughly 5-6 years old as well, and it runs Windows 7 without a problem (it used to run Vista).

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    This title just inspired me to change all my passwords. They're not longer all the same thing. Nice job Zach. :P

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I have so many passwords that I have to use lastpass to keep up with them all! xD

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I have only a few passwords and its all stored in my head.

My old Acer laptop served me well for 5 years, with extremely heavy usage and I never shut down that laptop for some reason. Hope my new laptop also serves me for another 5 years. (or at least 3)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • My passwords are too strong. But I was proved wrong when my twitter got hacked a few months ago. haha. So I had to make them more stronger.

I never use the same password for two sites... That being said I keep all my passwords in a paper.

A wise, wise friend of mine told me that storing passwords on a piece of paper is the biggest security breach and if someone finds said piece of paper it opens doors for the person to get into your account. xD

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I keep all passwords in a KeePass database. The KeePass database uses a passphrase that I've memorized. Beats having to make passwords or passphrases by myself for everything.

Years
  • Yeah I really should change my password habits XD

But usually most of the time I try for passwords that are always within the "strong" range just to be sure..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back